Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Porsches create a**h0les?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in Houston and my Porsche is just another run of the mill car here. I get all kinds of reactions from admiration, people being jackasses, people eing interested and respectful, and people who are indifferent. I figure no matter their reaction positive, negative or indifferent it says much more about them than it does about me.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:08 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"speeding, passing, swerving in and out of lanes"

That's likely part of the problem. Speeding and passing is one way to drive, but swerving lane-to-lane is another, entirely more aggressive, way to drive. Combine that with a beautiful 997, and you're not only acting like an a-hole, you're acting like an a-hole magnet.

CP
Old 03-30-2007, 10:40 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
I just let them know that I don't race.
Your license plate reads "A BLUR." That alone would've egged them on to try to get you to race!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:40 AM
RedShadow
Instructor

"Porsche drivers... I hate 'em..."

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I've run into two kinds of people on the road or when I park somewhere: haters and gawkers...
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2007, 11:10 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr 997
Now, I was averaging 80-90 or so on this mostly 3-lane freeway, and I thought I was driving politely... not cutting people off, not following close, using my signal, etc. However, I came up with two theories:

1) the presence of a Porsche turns observers into a**holes,
or
2) Driving a Porsche turns ME into an a**hole.

Now, is it possible that when I drive the Porsche--speeding, passing, swerving in and out of lanes--I am transformed into some "Mr. Hyde" character and **** people off, without realizing it? Am I oblivious to the fact that my driving style and flashing a $100k car automatically causes others to mutter "what an a**hole!"? Admittedly, I think there was a time when I would see a guy driving a Ferrari and immediately think, "that guy is probably a total jerk." Why? I don't know.
It's #2 in my opinion. I've experienced exactly the same thing you describe all the time, and I began to suspect that it was the result of the way I was driving. So, I experimented by deliberately driving the Porsche defensively instead of aggressively, and, as if I turned off a light bulb, everyone on the road stopped behaving aggressively towards me. Try it and you'll see. A car like this does two things to you: 1) it makes you feel special, like you're better than everyone else on the road, which subconsciously makes you drive as though you are, and 2) It feels so darn good to drive it fast that it's really hard not to. You don't even realize you're doing it.

If you have a car that is better and more expensive than all the other cars on the road, and you drive it in a way that tells other drivers that you know it, you will be perceived as an a**hole and other drivers will treat you like one. You don't realize it but you ARE driving differently.

And a vanity plate doesn't help either. Think about what the word "vanity" means. Having a plate like that says "look at me and look at what I'm driving. I have a special plate because my car is better than yours and I'm more important than you are". There are an awful lot of people, like me, that do not like vanity plates or the people who use them.

So, you are:

1. Driving a car that declares your high status
2. Driving it in a manner that indicates you think you are the king of the road
3. Wearing a plate that sends the message that you're important and your car is better than other cars.

...and it's no wonder other drivers are showing their disapproval. It's also clear why Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo drivers have the reputation of being a**holes. In my opinion it is usually well deserved.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:11 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

More insight here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/293700-tailgaters.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/262700-an-unpleasant-aspect-of-porsche-ownership.html
Old 03-30-2007, 11:16 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 42 Posts

in S.Florida P-cars are a dime a dozen . they almost blend in . The only pain in the @ss is the occasional Fast-n-the furious Honda civic driver wanting to race .
Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 AM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never had this problem in the Cleveland area, people tend to just ignore me or give thumbs up
Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 PM
RedRocket
Instructor

couldnt have put it better than P-Nut...I mean Dave My 997 is my second porsche and I rarely if ever have anyone give me a hard time. Most people thumbs up if they make any gesture. I think it is mostly how you drive...
Think about it...if you see an aston or ferrari driving like they are at the track, you think a-hole. If they are abiding by speed laws for the most part and not driving like they own the road, you think...nice car..... just my opinion.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think driving your 911 is the reason people drive like jerks. Lots of people drive like jerks regardless. I think that driving a 911 makes you think the whole world is out to get you. In Houston, the 997 pretty much blends into traffic.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

maybe it's the location but I don't see a whole lot of 997s in the South Bay (California). I probably see three or four Cayenne before I see one 997. Anyway, I think people look/stare at my car because of the color not because it's a Pcar.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 911Dave
So, are you:

3. Wearing a plate that sends the message that you're important and your car is better than other cars.
Believe it or not, that's one of the reasons why I didn't get a personalized plate on my 997, after having one on my Boxster that drew unnecessary attention. It read: HOT 986S

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=17

It's also a reason why I ordered mine debadged and will keep the stock wheels on. My plates are standard DMV issue. Hopefully those who see my car will think it's just a company vehicle.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:11 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by THPorsche
maybe it's the location but I don't see a whole lot of 997s in the South Bay (California).
Tom, you live in the South Bay? I thought you lived in the Bay Area. ****, you're probably about 5 miles from where I am right now at work.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:58 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try driving an Lotus Exige S...i just got this car after 4 porsches,including a white GT3. in 2 days i have had more,honks,waves,pictures taken, women asking for rides, people freaking out, annoying idiots trying to race me or tailigate me on the highway...it is unreal
Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats because that car LOOKS "Faster" than it is, in a straight line. We all know its prowess, but it cannot be tapped on a public highway.

To the subject of the thread, this is SoCal. Porsches are like BMWs, MBs, and Lexi. 996s are like Honda Accords here. Plentiful and nothing special.

Quick Reply: Do Porsches create a**h0les?