Sponsored by:

TAILGATERS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 04:27 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts
Default TAILGATERS!!!

I know this has been covered to the point of naseau, but what in the hell is it with this car attracting tailgaters. I took my wife to lunch today and I had a margarita truck tailgate me and almost hit me at two lights. Then, moments later a dork in a Volvo gets within inches off my bumper at a light. I was willing to share my frustration with him once we both reached the mall, but he had no interest in discussing it (no surprise). Why people are so rude once they get in their cars is beyond me. I'm amazed by the attitude shift once they get out of their cars. When I drive my wife's LX or my 745Li, it rarely happens. I'm tempted to buy a hummer and start wearing these tailgaters as ornaments.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:36 PM
axel6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was test driving a car yesterday that CLEARLY had dealer tags. I was concentrating on the drive and the handling of the car as some moron in a Land Rover decides he'll have fun with the guy in the Porsche. What a *****. I simply pulled over and let him pass. The salesman next to me was getting nervous as this turd kept buzzing the bumper.

Where are cops when you need them?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I get them all the time. I just keep slowing down until they pass me.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:38 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive slightly faster then the flow so no problems here.....
Old 08-20-2006, 06:40 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Sometimes traffic dictates my speed so I don't have a choice. I'm not one to slow traffic, that's for sure.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 133 Posts

I get the same thing. Not sure what it is. Never happend with the Boxster and does not happen with the S4. I actually find that I drive slower in the 997 when I'm in traffic than any other car. I just let them all go by. Once the traffic is light though... then I hit the "Sport" button

Matt
Old 08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, pick-up trucks are the worst...these guys get aggitated when they see a porsche. Perhaps there's a little neck inside telling them go nascar....
Old 08-20-2006, 07:15 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

This happens to me every time I drive mine. It's usually some Ford or Dodge truck with some ignorant hick showing how envy he is. Even when I pull up a bit to give him 6 more inches, they pull right back up.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:22 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

What is it with pickup truck drivers? The yseem to home in on P-cars like a moth to a flame. I've had them "show me" how fast they are and how they can pass me on the Interstate - I slow down and let them go on by (They get to "win" their virtual race) so they don't make a mess on the highway. This week, I had one come flying up next to me in a parkng lot. I really thought he was going to hit my parlked car. What a moron.

When I was a kid, I had a pickup, but I never had the urge to tailgate any car, much less a Porsche.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:44 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Diving a Porsche brings out the worst in other drivers. I had a New Mexican state cop jump in his car, leaving the guy he stopped, and follow me for miles yesterday.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,056 Likes on 567 Posts

I just let them go by.

Last year I had a pickup that obviously had some work on it stick to my posterior like a tick on a dog's tail while driving down this back road. He passed me and then took a sweeping left turn at a speed that I was convinced I would not manage in my car. His truck was just shy of a four wheel drift on that turn and I was convinced that there were going to be body parts scattered in the corn field. He made it.

Fortunately, I was going straight, so I didn't have to see him again.

My take is that these people are simply frustrated with their ride and have to do something to get around that feeling. Thy simply can't afford a nice car and their driving style tells me that they will never have a nice car, at least not for long should they get one.

The way I look at it is anyone that tails me too close is essentially degrading my brakes. I no longer have the ability to use my brakes as effectively as when no one is behind me. To combat that I simply slow down to a speed that permits me to safely manage the driving conditions. Usually, they simply pass you and get on the next guy's tail ad nausium.

Try not to let it get you bent out of shape. Not only does it reduce your driving pleasure when you do, but it compromises your ability to drive safely.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you adjust your driving to the point that you bore the other driver they will inevitably leave you alone. It's the little boys out there. Let them play,--but just don't play with them. I will slow down and let them go do their thing elsewhere. If they are persistant I make sure I have a good distance between them and me.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

On the Denver area interstates they have big signs posted to use your cell phone to dial some 4 digit number to report aggressive and DUI drivers. Don't know if it works and other than the obvious DUI, I don't know how they could prove "aggressive" unless the troopers saw the behavior first hand. I agree with the other posters - I just move over and let them go to the next one. Although new law in Colorado says you can only use left lane for passing - if you're not passing someone you're supposed to move over.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:11 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

OT, That's great that they have that law about passing on the left. That's the most dangerous thing on the highways today. To have people camped out in left lane. I wish they would do that here and enforce the hell out of it.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far (since March) I have experienced the complete opposite. Other drivers are extremely courteous and respectful. They don't cut into my lane in front of me anymore, they don't tailgate, and they don't come out of side streets trying to beat me. It was very different when I still had my 350Z; I had daily situations/provocations. But with the 997 I maybe had three episodes in those five months. Really, really nice.

Quick Reply: TAILGATERS!!!