Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An unpleasant aspect of Porsche ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006 | 09:25 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Default An unpleasant aspect of Porsche ownership?

Been just a week now with my C2S A fantastic car overall One thing I'm noticing though is that other drivers often seem to display a hostile attitude on the road I would have thought my M3 w aftermarket exhaust might have pi$$ed off my fellow drivers more but over the years I got only an occasional stoplight challange and an approving nod of the head Good clean fun in all This past week I have been tailgated, cut off, buzzed and generally ragged at more then in the past year Car color has not changed nor has my relatively normal (for me) spirited driving style Have I finally become totally paranoid or do peeps not like peeps in Porsches?
Old 03-27-2006 | 09:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

one word.....jealousy.
Old 03-27-2006 | 09:37 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

I get some tailgaters, but mostly thumbs up. You may be more aware because the car is new. It will pass, I live in NY and it's a non issue.
Old 03-27-2006 | 09:40 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Where are you located? I like to drive just slightly faster than others and I find that if you're sneaking up a bit, it doesn't give others much time to be a-holes. Granted, the car is not a daily driver so the odds aren't against me as much for tickets.
Old 03-27-2006 | 09:43 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

On the flip side, I had an extremely attractive young lady mouth "Nice car" and then rev her engine at me on my way home from work today.
Old 03-27-2006 | 09:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Try driving a yellow Hummer H2....talk about a holes out on the road...geesh! I get all kinds of remarks even parked.
Old 03-27-2006 | 10:02 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

That's a problem you don't have in Southern California. Driving a new 997 around here is literally "no big deal."
I guess for the guys driving the Mclaren SLRs and Carrera GTs it's a different story.

But seriously, the only thing I've noticed in five months of driving my 997 - occasionally some young pup, usually in a Mitsubishi or WRX, feels the need to show you how much faster his car is by driving like a maniac in your presence. It'd be entertaining if it weren't so scary.
Old 03-27-2006 | 10:24 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I get the occasional tailgater but that's about it,...frankly to about the same extent as my old Audi TT !
I do find that I get a whole lot more looksies in the Porsche
Old 03-27-2006 | 10:44 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

I was a little bit concerned about that issue because there are hardly any Porsches in this region, but a bunch of the typical southern Dodge RAM etc. drivers who already used to give me a hard time when I was driving my 350Z (and I am not an aggressive driver at all).

In the two weeks I've had my 997 S Cab I have noticed that other drivers have fallen into one of three groups:

(1) the vast majority (99.99 percent) is extremely respectful; no more pulling into my lane, tailgating, or trying to beat me at the light; it has been a really nice driving experience and clearly different from when I had my 350Z; even the largest trucks subside.

(2) like Leaders' experience, the occasional high-school Eclipse or Mustang driver wanting to show me how much more erratic he can drive.

(3) the only negative experience so far: some young idiots trying to splash some type of liquid into my car when I had my top down; obviously they had missed their physics class, though, because their attempt at 55 mph backfired; I'm not sure what I would have done if they had succeeded (probably gotten the license plate number and turned them in to my buddies at the police).

But the behavior of others definitely is different. Fortunately, it's really nice and respectful. So, no complaints here.
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:05 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Down here in South Texas(San Antonio) it's not the PU's but the AH's in the Jap cars.......Honda Civics trying to run a Carrera S'...these people are on drugs! Then my favorites.....Honda minivans, Nissan Altimas with the 3.5S option and Maxima SE's or an occasional 330i.....just don't understand-must be an ego thing or too much Motor Trend. Then there are the Jeeps.....the ones with 325HP?-blow them off with my chipped A3. Had a person almost roll their SUV(large pig Excursion) trying to stay with me in the "twisties".....The Vettes never try to be AH's-usually just a nice thumbs up.

JohnJ in SA
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:33 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I don't think it matter if you are driving a 997 or 996 or 993.....mostly I experience people admiring the P....nice remarks...never had anybody trying to outrace me...and I wouldn't do it anyways...it is more classy to just drive away normal and let the idiots burn rubber.....you will catch up with them at the next light.....but I am living in the Newport Beach area and a Porsche is almost like a 3 series BWM..only Ferraris, Lambo and RR get a 2nd look. I also depends how you look like!!! If you look like a Yuppie..you will get the Yuppie treatment.
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:34 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Well, at least I am not the only one to be aware of how others respond to the car, whether it be for the better or worse. I guess where you live and the newness of the car has a lot to do with it. I am in NY but on LI and I am having most of my problems on the Pkwys. In town some just seem to be curious. On the open road though I am surprised at how many people need to try to make some kind of point. Trick for me is not to react with anger. Thanks Gerry
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:36 PM
Legalkix
Instructor

Maybe just my own sunny disposition, but at the Euro Sunday event yesterday, with 30+ Lambos and and equal # of ferarris, porsches, GT's etc., everyone was friendly and I got lots of smiles and thumbs up with my little C2S Cab. All day cruisin around, got lots of smiles along PCH and not a few backward glances from the young ladies. I can put up with a few nitwits for the fun...
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:37 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Let it be ego, jealousy or whatever, I'd welcome that to my situation. I've been given the thumbs up and a wink by guys when driving my Mini. No offense to any Brokeback Rennlisters....but that irritates me like nothing else.
Old 03-27-2006 | 11:43 PM
AirPhoto
Track Day

one or two times (out of 2000 miles of driving) you get the car that appears to see you coming and they match the speed of the car next to them effectively blocking you from passing. I just drop back and don't give them satisfaction of thinking they p'd me off, and eventually they get tired of being an a-hole and complete their journey back to their job at the local Dairy Queen. Most folks are pretty decent and just like seeing a nice sports car. Unfortunately, its the small percentage of jerk-offs we seem to remember.

Quick Reply: An unpleasant aspect of Porsche ownership?