Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Porsches create a**h0les?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:59 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

kinda off-topic, but i find Nissan Maxima drivers are often a-holes...i don't know what it is about that car that makes people who drive it feel like they have to show off how much hp the car has.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if it's because I have a RUF and it looks a little different, I tend to just get thumbs up, from people. I had a guy follow me for about 20 miles into the gas station to check out the car... a little weird, but cool.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:38 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the people I see in the Seattle area run in the right lane same with the F-car driver. Nothing to prove and maybe we get the cars at an older age. I learned to drive where the best defense is an aggressive offense. So I have no doubt that I am an a$$hole to some drivers. I was on a 10 step program but it took too long.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

About a month ago I was driving to work on a country road with a speed limit of 40 MPH. I was going about 50 which is what I typically do on this road. After I was on the road for about a mile, I noticed a Honda Accord closing the gap behind me until the driver got within a couple of feet of my rear bumper. The driver of the car was an attractive girl in her early 20s. She maintained the couple feet distance until we came to a series of Ss where I pulled ahead of her, but when we got back to a straightaway, she immediately resumed the two foot distance. After about five miles, the road splits into four lanes, two each direction. I of course went into the right lane so that she could pass me. As soon as she could, she passed me and gave me the finger as she went by.

Since I did nothing to provoke her, I have to believe that she must have had a bad relationship with some guy who owned a Porsche, so now she hates all guys who drive Porsches.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesn't happen here in socal... average car is at least a 996 C2
Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeap - it happens even when I am driving in a very civil manner and I finally have agreement of this from my wife - finally. On Sunday we took the Porsche to visit my Father in the nursing home. On the way a young guy with a female passenger in a Jetta, yes a Jetta, ran up on my tail in a hurry. I saw him coming and mentioned it to my wife. Her first response was that he probably just wanted to get a closer look at the car. But then he stuck to my bumper through ever turn, and I mean I thought he was going to hit my left rear more than once, my wife did her typica "keep calm, don't cause a scene lecture" so I just kept driving normally as my blood was boiling. Then at a stop light the second the light hit green the kid lays on the horn and creeps to my bumper, I was like "you S.O.B." but pulled away normally, my wife finally said "that kid is screwed up, what is he doing?" - I said, this happens all the time - except when I am driving the Olds or the Lexus. Then she admits that I wasn't driving crazy and said no wonder I come home some times all grumpy about other drivers. And so it goes....conversely, not everyone behaves like that kid, I have also had others give me a thumbs up just sitting in the lane next to me at a light and few even put their window down to compliment "the sweet ride".
Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 PM
cag64
Instructor

Yeah I hate the "bumper riders", every time that happens to me my vision of a new engine flashes before my eyes!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Interesting thread! I've just moved from SoCal to Delaware, and drove all the way here. Like a lot of people said, driving a 996 in SoCal is like driving a Camry, so there were very few reactions.

Over here, the reactions have been almost all positive: lots of people look at the car, and people strike up conversations at stoplights (how fast?, etc). A lot of young guys come up to look at it in parking lots, and I think they appreciate that I treat them seriously and don't act like I think they're going to steal it!

A couple of things probably help - I've got a DAS bar and six-points in the car, which act as conversation starters, and having a small Union Jack sticker on the back of the car also seems to catch peoples' interest.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:28 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
About a month ago I was driving to work on a country road with a speed limit of 40 MPH. I was going about 50 which is what I typically do on this road. After I was on the road for about a mile, I noticed a Honda Accord closing the gap behind me until the driver got within a couple of feet of my rear bumper. The driver of the car was an attractive girl in her early 20s. She maintained the couple feet distance until we came to a series of Ss where I pulled ahead of her, but when we got back to a straightaway, she immediately resumed the two foot distance. After about five miles, the road splits into four lanes, two each direction. I of course went into the right lane so that she could pass me. As soon as she could, she passed me and gave me the finger as she went by.

Since I did nothing to provoke her, I have to believe that she must have had a bad relationship with some guy who owned a Porsche, so now she hates all guys who drive Porsches.
the answer to this is simply, that she is a mindless chick,

not even going to bother using the hiding behind the wall icon.................

be safe

craig
Old 06-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Braeden
Track Day

Chances are, you're already an ahole.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:14 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NNH
Interesting thread! I've just moved from SoCal to Delaware, and drove all the way here. Like a lot of people said, driving a 996 in SoCal is like driving a Camry, so there were very few reactions.

Over here, the reactions have been almost all positive: lots of people look at the car, and people strike up conversations at stoplights (how fast?, etc). A lot of young guys come up to look at it in parking lots, and I think they appreciate that I treat them seriously and don't act like I think they're going to steal it!

A couple of things probably help - I've got a DAS bar and six-points in the car, which act as conversation starters, and having a small Union Jack sticker on the back of the car also seems to catch peoples' interest.
Welcome to the state!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:52 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Welcome to the state!
Thanks! I've joined the local PCA, and I'll be going to the a**hole - I mean Porsche - picnic on Saturday!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

P-cars are relatively common down this way. There are 5 996/997s on my block, 3 more within 3 blocks and at least 3 aircooled 911s in that same circle.

Mine is the most lovely.

That being said, ricers and white Ford pickups seems incensed by Porsches. I let them go on by, hoping they will slam into a bridge abutment up ahead..
Old 06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NNH
Thanks! I've joined the local PCA, and I'll be going to the a**hole - I mean Porsche - picnic on Saturday!
If you're interested, we have an awesome, informal meet at the Dillworthtown shopping center right next to Starbucks every 8AM on Saturdays. It's about 2 miles north of Route 1 on Concord Pike (202). We get anywhere from 8-10 Porsches and a number of assorted Ferraris, Maseratis, Corvettes, Vipers, Lotuses, and classics. It's a great group of guys.

The best markers to remember are the Hyundai dealership that will be across from the shopping center. If you pass Otto's BMW, you've gone too far.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrBonus
If you're interested, we have an awesome, informal meet at the Dillworthtown shopping center right next to Starbucks every 8AM on Saturdays. It's about 2 miles north of Route 1 on Concord Pike (202). We get anywhere from 8-10 Porsches and a number of assorted Ferraris, Maseratis, Corvettes, Vipers, Lotuses, and classics. It's a great group of guys.

The best markers to remember are the Hyundai dealership that will be across from the shopping center. If you pass Otto's BMW, you've gone too far.
Ian - How far would you say that meet is from Fairfax? I'd be willing to drive up one morning...

Quick Reply: Do Porsches create a**h0les?