Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Porsches create a**h0les?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
It's #2 in my opinion. I've experienced exactly the same thing you describe all the time, and I began to suspect that it was the result of the way I was driving. So, I experimented by deliberately driving the Porsche defensively instead of aggressively, and, as if I turned off a light bulb, everyone on the road stopped behaving aggressively towards me. Try it and you'll see. A car like this does two things to you: 1) it makes you feel special, like you're better than everyone else on the road, which subconsciously makes you drive as though you are, and 2) It feels so darn good to drive it fast that it's really hard not to. You don't even realize you're doing it.

If you have a car that is better and more expensive than all the other cars on the road, and you drive it in a way that tells other drivers that you know it, you will be perceived as an a**hole and other drivers will treat you like one. You don't realize it but you ARE driving differently.

And a vanity plate doesn't help either. Think about what the word "vanity" means. Having a plate like that says "look at me and look at what I'm driving. I have a special plate because my car is better than yours and I'm more important than you are". There are an awful lot of people, like me, that do not like vanity plates or the people who use them.

So, you are:

1. Driving a car that declares your high status
2. Driving it in a manner that indicates you think you are the king of the road
3. Wearing a plate that sends the message that you're important and your car is better than other cars.

...and it's no wonder other drivers are showing their disapproval. It's also clear why Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo drivers have the reputation of being a**holes. In my opinion it is usually well deserved.
I drive a car that some think declares my high status...well i happened to have earned it by working very hard and being frugal so if others think im being high and mighty so what.I happen to be driving a car that some would say is one of the best makes and model on the road and i cant help it if others see it as kingly.I dont own a vanity plate but if i did so what?I earned the right to place it on my car.I just cant help those people whose feelings or egos are hurt because they envy my car.Im reminded of atlas shrugged and the phrase who is john galt?Im not my brothers keeper and will not feel guilty because i drive something better than him.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:27 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Points,

Intentionally or not, you just proved 911Dave's point 1 in his first paragraph.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Being a newcomer to this forum ive tried to not stir the soup so to speak but 911daves post has eaten at me for too long.I do feel special driving this car and i am a much better driver than most around me here in palm beach.At the ripe young age of 56 i have not been ticketed in 30 some odd years and i dont intend for it to happen cause im very careful in my driving habits.The statement disliking vanity plates inferring assholedom because you want something cute on your license plate galls me in particular.I happen to get a kick out of reading folks different plates.And while we are at it how in the world do you drive kingly?Reminds me of the time the reporter asks Bob Knight where his game face was and the old coach screws up his face in many different ways saying is this it?Lifes to short to worry about some one elses opinion bout your driving technique.kingly...thats a good one.How did 911 dave lump all fancy ,powerful car drivers into one lump of assholedom i dont know but i dont see it.As a farmer in palm beach county ive learned to live with certain attitudes generalizing people for what they do in life.I was suprized to see it come out regarding porsche owners.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Dr 997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I don't think there's anything wrong with driving it a little harder than usual. It is, after all, a toy meant to be enjoyed. You just have to put up with the reactions of other drivers, and the occasional speeding ticket
Old 03-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD
but only you, I, and other Pcar drivers know the truth.

Originally Posted by MMD
unless you're in the passinglane, let people in front of you when they signal their intentions. You can pass them later.
This is my absolute pet peeve--people who don't let you merge onto highways. I usually have to slow down, then it becomes downright dangerous! I always let people in or move over.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Dr 997
Racer

Originally Posted by POINTS
I drive a car that some think declares my high status...well i happened to have earned it by working very hard and being frugal so if others think im being high and mighty so what.I happen to be driving a car that some would say is one of the best makes and model on the road and i cant help it if others see it as kingly.I dont own a vanity plate but if i did so what?I earned the right to place it on my car.I just cant help those people whose feelings or egos are hurt because they envy my car.Im reminded of atlas shrugged and the phrase who is john galt?Im not my brothers keeper and will not feel guilty because i drive something better than him.
Thanks for having the ***** to say out loud what most of us are thinking! Of course, I'd never admit any of it outside this forum...
Old 03-31-2007, 07:59 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr 997
Thanks for having the ***** to say out loud what most of us are thinking!
not me! i think he's a ltttle overly dramatic.
no ticket in 30 years! why did you buy a porsche?
bobby knight would throw a chair at him!

i rarely have any of these kinds of problems!?
if i do have a problem w/ another vehicle i just put distance b/t us and forget about it.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by icon
not me! i think he's a ltttle overly dramatic.
no ticket in 30 years! why did you buy a porsche?
bobby knight would throw a chair at him!

i rarely have any of these kinds of problems!?
if i do have a problem w/ another vehicle i just put distance b/t us and forget about it.
nice avatar!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:24 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Being a newcomer to this forum ive tried to not stir the soup so to speak but 911daves post has eaten at me for too long.I do feel special driving this car and i am a much better driver than most around me here in palm beach.At the ripe young age of 56 i have not been ticketed in 30 some odd years and i dont intend for it to happen cause im very careful in my driving habits.The statement disliking vanity plates inferring assholedom because you want something cute on your license plate galls me in particular.I happen to get a kick out of reading folks different plates.And while we are at it how in the world do you drive kingly?Reminds me of the time the reporter asks Bob Knight where his game face was and the old coach screws up his face in many different ways saying is this it?Lifes to short to worry about some one elses opinion bout your driving technique.kingly...thats a good one.How did 911 dave lump all fancy ,powerful car drivers into one lump of assholedom i dont know but i dont see it.As a farmer in palm beach county ive learned to live with certain attitudes generalizing people for what they do in life.I was suprized to see it come out regarding porsche owners.
My apologies if you were offended - I reread my post and I did state my opinion too strongly. I didn't mean to imply that everyone who has a vanity plate is an a**hole. Personally I don't like them, but my main point is that other people on the road who see you often do have that impression, which is compounded by the type of car the plate is attached to. Obviously some plates are far worse than others in this respect.

I was just trying to explain my view of why our Porsches tend to make others act crazy. It's partly the car, but mainly how it's being driven (IMO).
Old 03-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

(...) i do have a problem (...)
Nice avatar, Jeff. Don't answer the door. It could be Chris Hansen.

I drive a car that some think declares my high status...well i happened to have earned it by working very hard and being frugal so if others think im being high and mighty so what.
Good point, I agree with that. But there is probably a difference between enjoying your status and abusing it. I certainly feel that people around me respect my accomplishments; it would be different if I started acting up like a jerk.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:29 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't necessarily disagree, but this attitude is what is clearly conveyed to other drivers on the road when one drives agressively. You and I may drive like this and we're just havin' fun, but other drivers don't understand that. From their point of view, it's more like we're holding up our middle finger at them.

I'm just stating what I think. Anyone can disagree.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:57 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Nice avatar, Jeff. Don't answer the door. It could be Chris Hansen.
birthdate 11.03.1987, 18 years old . . . ha!

aahhhh . . . just a sec . . . a camera crew is . . . WHAT? . . . NO! . . . i did not!
i've never even heard of that chat room! . . . . .
Old 03-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

birthdate 11.03.1987, 18 years old . . . ha!
Wouldn't that DOB make her TWENTY years old...?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:38 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Wouldn't that DOB make her TWENTY years old...?
we're both wrong . . . 19
i keep forgettin' it's 2007
Old 03-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

we're both wrong . . . 19
i keep forgettin' it's 2007
I don't know Jeff...she looks awfully young.
15 will get you 20.

Quick Reply: Do Porsches create a**h0les?