Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Another Porsche reply on Satellite UPDATE

Have you all seen this in the other thread yet?

Unfortunately, the resolution to the 997 satellite radio issue is not imminent. We are working to incorporate this feature into our next generation of audio systems. I am unfamiliar with the work-around described in your email below. The navigation and satellite radio antennas are completely separate and the Cayenne satellite radio receiver will not work with the sports car PCM (different software). I would be interested to hear/see how this was done by other owners. This is not something we could accomplish at the factory for your vehicle.

In my personal vehicle (997 coupe), I have installed an XM Roady XT, which then plays through the FM receiver. It works quite well for my purposes and the installation was very simple (30 minutes) with no modifications to the car and almost no wires visible. This is the solution I would recommend if satellite radio is something you cannot live without.

Best regards,

David Pryor
Manager, Product Planning
Porsche Cars North America

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-16-2006, 06:30 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

What other Thread ?
Old 02-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Thread

This one:
Official Porsche Reply

Deanski
Old 02-17-2006, 02:45 AM
avenchia
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The response from Porsche is disappointing, but somewhat expected. I talked to multiple dealers before I had mine installed and they didn't know of a solution (other than calling an independent "stereo shop") and were unwilling to install. I took mine to La Jolla Audio, they installed it in 1/2 a day for about $2000 and it has worked perfectly ever since. It is completely clean install and the car is unmarred by the installation (nothing hanging off my dash or glued there, no visible antenna or parts, etc). The car looks stock and the sat radio operates as if it were installed by the factory.

Also, my car has the CD changer, nav and the GSM phone module (option 666) within the PCM and all work perfectly after the install.

To those in Southern California (or a reasonable driving distance) I would recommend La Jolla Audio if you are interested in sat radio and willing to pay $2,000 to have it. I say this only because I took the chance of using them and my install works. If you live somewhere else (particularly near a large city) there is almost certainly a higher-end car stereo install shop (that may even specialize in Porsche) that is bound to figure this out (if they haven't already).

To those that have , or will, buy the $1000 part and have the courage (as well as the passion) to "tinker" with their cars, good luck. I'm sure you'll succeed. I 'm certain the guys at La Jolla weren't trained by Porsche. They figured it out on their own - just like you guys will!
Old 02-18-2006, 04:34 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

If I didn't live 3000 miles from there I would........anyone in Seattle or Portland who has found a installer that can do that for a 997?
Old 02-18-2006, 04:34 PM
msh26
Instructor

Default Good luck in Seattle

I called a recommended installer and they had not heard of this option using the Cayenne unit.

I look forward to your dealer install and may come up there and have it done.

BTW, I have 2.1A software like you. Did you get yours upgraded and did the MP3 function work with the updgrade?

Last edited by msh26; 02-19-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:12 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

I am just going to get the PCM soft ware upgraded. The Porsche dealer has ordered the new CD to upgrade it. I think it will be in next week. Once I get the upgrade I will post the results and hopefully I will be able to get the Sat radio up and running.....The service guys in Victoria are great and your total install will only take a few hours.....especially since they are cutting their teeth on my install.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:32 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

I spoke with my dealer earlier today and they connected the Sirius SAT module to my 06 C2S CAB with NAV, GSM Phone and 2.1b with NO CD Changer and they were able to get Sirius channels and tested to ensure phone and NAV still operated correctly. It appears the temporary install was successful. The dealer will now permanately install tomorrow. this appears to be great news. I will post final conclusion tomorrow followed by fresh pics Thursday.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Success!

GREAT NEWS! Glad to hear it worked and my thanks to RSHANHOLTZ

Looks like when my C2S arrives in Danbury, I'm going to try to have them do the same. They took the time to resolve the issue and it works! THANK GOD!

Only difference: CD Changer and no option 666 in my C2S.

Danbury Porsche may be very busy on the east coast side as word gets out!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-22-2006, 02:52 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Great News. Its great to have a dealer work with you.
I believe I have the 2.1 A software. which is giving me the problems
How do you update to the 2.1 B software. My dealer got a disc but it was for the update for the 2.1 B ......it wouldn't upgrade the 2.1A.....
Any ideas would be appreciated as I am so so close.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:03 PM
msh26
Instructor

My dealer mentioned that a 2.1B update was coming out this week. Is that what your dealer got?

Is there even an upgrade disc to go from 2.1A to 2.1B at all? Maybe you could ask them since they are heavily involved?
Old 02-22-2006, 05:46 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

I just spoke with Danbury (CT) Porsche after activating the Sirius SAT Radio online and he confirmed that all 130+ channels are working correctly with a strong signal. I will not be able to post any pictures until Monday at the earliest as I am out of town.

This is however great news for everyone who wishes to have an integrated SAT radio in their 997's.

A couple of notes:

1. The install should take around 5 hours so factor that info in as labor costs.
2. My dealer spoke with the dealer in BC Canada before beginning the install and was given tips on the install but apparently their recommedation on the antenna placement was not working properly in my car. My dealer altered the location and then the signal was strong and clear. I do not have more detail at this time but cetainly will try to get more precise locations as soon as possible.
3. I inquired as to the 2.1A to 2.1B upgrade, the dealer will make some inquiries tomorrow. Since I already had 2.1B, this was not an issue.

Hope all of this alleviates some fears and concerns out there as to whether this install is possible. Just to recap my specs, I have an 06' C2S CAB with NAV (installed at factory), GSM (Installed by Dealer) and 2.1B. I do not have the CD Changer. Happy Porsche motoring...
Old 02-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Getting Sat

Another interesting factor.

Those that do want this HAVE to order the parts from the parts counter as the dealer service cannot order it for the 997. Once you have the parts, you CAN hand them over for service to install. At least that's what I was just told from the dealer seeing that Porsche has yet to "approve" of this so no warranty issues can be addressed. It's go at your own risk type of install.

Let's hope that a new antenna or workaround can be approved by Porsche sometime in the future.

That's great news that all channels now work!

I better get with them to order the parts and hand them over for the install as soon as my C2S arrives. 5 hours is what I figured on install. Worth every penny not to have some outboard type device hanging!

Danbury may be very busy shortly!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-22-2006, 07:08 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
I just spoke with Danbury (CT) Porsche after activating the Sirius SAT Radio online and he confirmed that all 130+ channels are working correctly with a strong signal. I will not be able to post any pictures until Monday at the earliest as I am out of town.

This is however great news for everyone who wishes to have an integrated SAT radio in their 997's.

A couple of notes:

1. The install should take around 5 hours so factor that info in as labor costs.
2. My dealer spoke with the dealer in BC Canada before beginning the install and was given tips on the install but apparently their recommedation on the antenna placement was not working properly in my car. My dealer altered the location and then the signal was strong and clear. I do not have more detail at this time but cetainly will try to get more precise locations as soon as possible.
3. I inquired as to the 2.1A to 2.1B upgrade, the dealer will make some inquiries tomorrow. Since I already had 2.1B, this was not an issue.

Hope all of this alleviates some fears and concerns out there as to whether this install is possible. Just to recap my specs, I have an 06' C2S CAB with NAV (installed at factory), GSM (Installed by Dealer) and 2.1B. I do not have the CD Changer. Happy Porsche motoring...
What button on the PCM do you push to go to sat radio mode?? I assume there is no SAT button, like on the cayenne PCM??
Old 02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rshanholtz

A couple of notes:

Thank you very much rshanholtz. Did your dealer call the dealer in Victoria...I wonder if my antenna placement is not working properly in my car. For some strange reason when I went to the top of a mountain a few of the channels came in???? Maybe the problem is with the antenna placement.
They are also looking into the 2.1A to 2.1B upgrade. The disc they tried today was just a upgrade for the 2.1B software....which my system didn't recognize.........any info you can get from your dealer re that would be greatly appreciated.........Congratulations.......I am very pleased your up and running....I agree I wouldn't have a system that I had to attach to my dash........the sport chronograph is enough......thanks again for the help

Quick Reply: I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!