Sponsored by:

Offical Porsche Response to Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:29 AM
r@rhcrlaw.com
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offical Porsche Response to Satellite Radio

Last week I emailed a Porsche email address that I found on the German Porsche web site with the following query:
Forgive me for corresponding in English, but I am American.
I was unable to find an email address for the factory on the United States
website, however your address appears on the German website please forward
this to the proper department-thank you.
I recently ordered a 911 and await production and delivery. One option I
was looking for was to have satellite radio in the vehicle. Nothing on the
US website or information from my dealer can provide information to
integrate Satellite radio into the PCM. Apparently it is available in the
Cayenne. I called PCNA and the person with who I spoke was unable to
assist.
There are several web based bulletin boards where Porsche owners have
debated the way to integrate satellite into the PCM to no avail. There is a
large market in the United States for this ability.
No one apparently has reached out to Germany for the solution, therefore my
inquiry.
Please respond with a solution. Thank you for your consideration.
Bill Rappaport

This morning I received the following reply:
Dear Mr. Rappaport,

First of all, thank you for your purchase of a new Carrera. I am sure you
will be very pleased by your decision.

We have received many requests for a satellite radio option on our
sportscars. Unfortunately, until very recently there has not been adequate
antenna technology to allow a seamless integration of the antenna within
the confines of our sportscars. We are currently working with our suppliers
to find a solution.

In the meantime, both XM and Sirius offer retrofit kits that can be
installed in the vehicle on your own, unfortunately not integrated into
PCM. I realize this is not an ideal solution, but until we have a factory
developed offer this is the best alternative to obtain satellite service.

Kind regards,

Marianne Nebel

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche
Aktiengesellschaft
Dept. VO13
Porschestrasse 15 - 19
71634 Ludwigsburg
Old 02-03-2006, 11:51 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting response. I had 'heard' the antenna was the issue. Bottom line is that apparently this MOST Cayenne solution will work. I will certainly let you guys know after the parts get here.

My guess is that, in fact, it was very recently that the suppliers built the combined GPS/SAT RADIO antenna now used (first rolled out for) the Cayenne. So, I would suspect that for MY07 the 997 will have this option. And then they will have a retrofit kit similar to the part I just ordered for the Cayenne.

But I ain't waiting. I am going to try the Cayenne install into the 997, but I will certainly not drill any holes or take any steps that cannot be reversed. I suspect the only part I will be missing is the appropriate mounting bracket for the radio receiver inasmuch as the bracket included with the kit I ordered is Cayenne specific. That is simple...I can use velcro, etc. to hold the small radio receiver or fashion my own temporary bracket. Then, I will order the 997 bracket one day and have the true install as designed.

The mount for the antenna will not change, because all I apparently do is replace the original GPS antenna.

Adam
Old 02-03-2006, 12:00 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We're getting closer. The technology is now coming out. The "other" sports car that I own has the satellite antennas in the sideview mirrors. Cool.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:01 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

what is the email address?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:28 PM
r@rhcrlaw.com
Track Day

rather than inundating this nice lady from Germany with emails from all of us satellite challenged enthusiasts I sent her this reply:
Ms. Nebel-Does the current 997 navigation antenna contain the satellite antenna integrated into it as has been discussed on certain web boards in reference to the Cayenne nav/sat antenna?
Bill Rappaport
Old 02-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

Hopefully, Porsche will get this figured out before Sirius and XM run out of money and go "poof." The cash-flow figures on either service are pretty astounding.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sirius is in serious trouble. In yesterday's LA Times they ran a story about how the fans of Howard Stern are bypassing Sirius altogether by getting Stern online for free, albeit through copyright infringement. Apparently some of his fans (acting with the same rebellious spirit as Stern) couldn't care less about legalities, and refuse to pay for the subscription when all they really want is his show only and not the rest of Sirius' programming. Sirius is paying Stern half a billion dollars for 5 yrs. How many here wanna bet Sirius will be around to pay Stern his last check?

Last edited by OCBen; 02-03-2006 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-03-2006, 01:41 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by r@rhcrlaw.com
rather than inundating this nice lady from Germany with emails from all of us satellite challenged enthusiasts I sent her this reply:
Ms. Nebel-Does the current 997 navigation antenna contain the satellite antenna integrated into it as has been discussed on certain web boards in reference to the Cayenne nav/sat antenna?
Bill Rappaport
Bill, I can answer that for you. It does not. The part I ordered for the sat unit has a replacement antenna that replaces the current NAV antenna. From what I am told, the current NAV antenna has one wire nut, and the new antenna will have 3 wire nuts (one for the NAV, and apparently the sat radio takes 2 wires). The installer takes out the current antenna and mounts the new antenna in the same place.

- Adam
Old 02-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

One of the worst things me and my friends do is take pools on how long it'll take a company to go bust
so far we have GM, a local restraunt, and a local place in the mall....
Old 02-03-2006, 04:36 PM
OCBen
Banned

Default In Today's LA Times

Illicit Downloading of Stern's Show Soars Fivefold

A Times report on the availability of pirated copies of his program contributes to the surge.

By Dawn C. Chmielewski, Times Staff Writer

Illicit downloading of shock jock Howard Stern's shows increased fivefold Thursday after the Los Angeles Times reported on the broad availability of bootlegged versions of his Sirius Satellite Radio program on Internet file-sharing networks.

"The genie's out of the bottle," said Aram Sinnreich, managing partner of Radar Research, a Los Angeles media consulting firm.

In 2004, Sirius hired Stern on a five-year, $500-million contract in hopes of wooing new subscribers to its $12.95-a-month satellite radio service. He helped deliver more than a million new subscribers before he even took to the microphone Jan. 9.

But almost immediately, pirate radio stations in New York and New Jersey began rebroadcasting the show on unclaimed FM radio frequencies, and websites began streaming it online without permission.

Sirius was quick to take legal action and, in an ironic twist, to seek help from Stern's longtime nemesis, the Federal Communications Commission.

Internet file-sharing sites, which allow potentially millions of computer users around the globe to exchange audio recordings, represent a challenge that comes as no surprise to Sirius. In recent Securities and Exchange Commission filings, the company acknowledged that piracy could "harm our business."

The extent of that harm is still not fully known. Mark Ishikawa, chief executive of BayTSP, a Los Gatos, Calif., company that monitors online piracy for the entertainment industry, described the surge in downloads Thursday as "waking the sleeping giant."

But because companies like Ishikawa's count the number of files being exchanged at a given point in time — not the number of thieves — an exact tally of what Sirius is losing is not available. Ishikawa did say, however, that the numbers of files being swapped quintupled overnight.

Ever since Napster popularized free music downloads in the late 1990s, the recording industry has been attempting to quash online piracy by suing file-sharing companies and individuals.

The head of the Recording Industry Assn. of America, the industry's lobbying organization, said the theft of Stern's shows was just another example of how piracy could dry up investment in entertainment.

"Sirius, the music community and other property owners are in the same boat," association Chairman and Chief Executive Mitch Bainwol wrote in an e-mail. "We want and deserve a fair return on our investment. When that return is compromised, so too is the risk-taking necessary to bring new content to fans."

But Rex Perez, a Stern fan, said Sirius inadvertently set the stage for online piracy by refusing to make the show available to those who prefer to tune in on their computers rather than on Sirius radio receivers.

The 31-year-old math professor at Santa Monica Community College said he bought a lifetime subscription to Sirius because he thought he could listen to Stern's show online.

Only later did Perez discover a disclaimer on Sirius' website: Although its 68 commercial-free music channels can be heard online, "some talk shows aren't included" — most notably, Stern's.

"Howard is the only thing I care about," said Perez, who has written to Stern and Sirius, encouraging them to stream the show online.

So far, he said, he has received no response.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:47 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
One of the worst things me and my friends do is take pools on how long it'll take a company to go bust
so far we have GM, a local restraunt, and a local place in the mall....
I would definitely NOT buy a Sirius unit if I was interested in getting a satellite receiver. They have to be the most mismanaged high profile company anywhere. For them to think that paying Stern $100,000,000.00 per yr for 5 yrs was a good investment, they need to have their collective heads examined, 'cuz there's nothing inside but empty air. That huge boulder of liability they've strapped on to their tiny row boat is going to sink it faster than you can say fiduciary responsibility to shareholders.

I give them 2 yrs max.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Sirius is in serious trouble. In yesterday's LA Times they ran a story about how the fans of Howard Stern are bypassing Sirius altogether by getting Stern online for free, albeit through copyright infringement. Apparently some of his fans (acting with the same rebellious spirit as Stern) couldn't care less about legalities, and refuse to pay for the subscription when all they really want is his show only and not the rest of Sirius' programming. Sirius is paying Stern half a billion dollars for 5 yrs. How many here wanna bet Sirius will be around to pay Stern his last check?
Holy **** Ben,...I like Howard in moderate doses (haven't listened to him since leaving 'the city') but I can't believe he's getting that much money. I would love to see their economic forecasts for their justification!

And Johnny,...are you telling us that your Z06 thing has a sat antenna built into the mirrors? Did GM do something kind of cool?

And while we're on the topic of antennae, does anyone else sometimes think there's hair caught on their windshield when in fact it's just the radio antenna??? It has that weird curvature that looks like someone lost their fuzz!
Old 02-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

That figure includes all production costs and salaries for the people on the show, it's not all Stern's salary.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by riad
That figure includes all production costs and salaries for the people on the show, it's not all Stern's salary.
Correct, the big $$ goes to Sterns company. He then pays production, salaries etc.

Bottom line, I love Howard (since WNNNNBC) days, but really love the music selections!

We need to have as many people request the PCM from Porsche or it will get the back burner for now. The more we request and show a real demand, then I'm sure the vendor of the antenna wil have a resolution very soon.

I hate the thought of adding some external device in that clean interior!

Write to Porsche! Demand our satellite!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-03-2006, 11:53 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by riad
Good point. But still, from Sirius' side of the ledger it's a $100M expense that they've committed to for each of the next 5 yrs.

Quick Reply: Offical Porsche Response to Satellite Radio