Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 cylinder damage from incorrect spark plugs installed in Raby engine - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024 | 10:25 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

That referenced thread was several months ago and he has already served a ~1 week temporary ban for his behavior that week spanning several threads. RL forum guidelines explicitly prohibit insults and attacks on other users. He insulted several people including Charles Navarro for no reason other than offering an opinion that was different from his. He probably got upset because he felt that made him look bad. This is part of the reason there is no much misinformation on RL, because when the experts chime in someone always thinks they know better and people don't listen anyway. Like him or not Jake had a ton of knowledge and experience but doesn't want to come around here anymore because of this. PV997 I have seen you argue with him about something so simple as you think the sealant he uses was too expensive. Are you doing this for a living and are you going to get the phone call when it leaks?
Old 07-22-2024 | 12:37 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

FYI I wasn't banned---> I had access to the RL Forum but no access to the 997 Forum.
I apologized to the Mods for my insulting behavior and also explained I believe in "outting" bad cars that may come to market for sale.
The OP on that old Thread was a jackass and I never talked bad about Jake Raby or Charles Navaro. They are experts in their field.
I've toned things down quite a bit since those days.

I do enjoy the occasional PDK & Miata joke.

My life doesn't revolve around RL. I enjoy it as well as many of it's members, but I have a full life going on outside of my love for the Porsche.

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-22-2024 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2024 | 12:39 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
For the record, if we lose Groov, we've lost big time. He's owned more Porsches than Porsche.
Seriously, he's a good guy and very knowledgeable of these cars... and, I consider him a great RL friend. If I lived in Seattle, I'd hang out with him on a regular basis. He loves Porsche, AirStream and an amazing photographer.
Oh, but I've never dared to ask him what his brand and model of camera he prefers. Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad?.... Polaroid??? My wife is a professional photographer and prefers Nikon. Groov, we actually shot our recent vacation in 35mm film. ha! Loved it. People thought I was weird. Like manual transmission, it's a dying art form.
b3----> Nikon was my choice for 40 years. Hasselblad as well. ----->Nikon more waterproof for the sweat running down my face when photographing Ford models.
...and I had Poloroid backs for both but rarely used them because I got good at guessing exposures and great/accurate flash meter for studio lighting.

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-22-2024 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZuffenZeus (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024 | 12:47 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by festina-lente
Groov, I thought this was Gelato day ; )
According to a source with good access, he has plans to sell it to purchase a 992.
Now thats funny----> More so because I used the electrocnic $50 Gelato gift certificate I gave silver_tt months ago (that he appreciated but never used) to place a Gelato order from my cousins Il Laboratorio Del Gelato in NYC.
I sent silver_tt the gift certificate months ago during the Thread drama as an apology. Thought it would be a nice thing to do due to the old Thread getting nutty.

Old 07-22-2024 | 01:04 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Can't we all just get along. We're all on the same team here. Let's direct our animosity where it really belongs, the French.....or Subaru drivers.

Carry on.
The following 4 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
Graufuchs (07-22-2024), groovzilla (07-22-2024), jbkusa (07-22-2024), TerrestrialFlyte (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024 | 01:07 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Let's direct our animosity where it really belongs, the French.....or Subaru drivers.
And all the Karens driving large SUVs in the left lane! Ha!

Can I get a witness?

The following 4 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
Graufuchs (07-22-2024), groovzilla (07-22-2024), Slakker (07-23-2024), TerrestrialFlyte (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024 | 02:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by silver_tt
As for the athlete, he is a hothead and I don't want him coming back and trying to axe murder me When I contacted him about the problem back then asking about the records I found out he removed, he started screaming at me on the phone uncontrollably telling me he would beat the crap out of me. I have no doubt he could, I am 6 feet and 160 pounds and fighting is not my specialty. Glad to have that guy out of my life forever, but thanks for the awesome car! Thankfully I was lucky to have someone smart, much older and experienced than I was, to guide me how to resolve the situation and all is well that ends well. And while I don't believe in karma per se, let's just say that life has been much more kind to me than it has been to him since then. In some sense in life, you make your own luck....
I used to live near where players lived on long Island, and a few teams practiced. In a local pizza joint (mother kelleys) a very attractive woman walked in. I said something to the guy I was with and he promptly told me to look down. No she is cute... Look down. OK, why- She is the girlfriend or wife of a guy known for sacks, and being a hothead. A short while later a different friend and I were in Crazy Eddie's as they were closing and they told us the same guy and his entourage were coming in and we can continue to shop, but couldn't approach him. He approached us and asked what we were buying. The salesman nearly soiled his undies when he saw us talking to him. We knew what a "great guy" he was and kept the conversation short. He too sold all his stuff from what I heard.
Old 07-22-2024 | 03:34 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Okay, I know this thread has digressed, but for some levity and being we are talking about football players and cameras... In my younger days (40 years ago) I sold suits at a mall store parttime while going to school and worked with a guy (Johnny G.) salesman for whom this was a fulltime profession and a few years older than me. He was about 5'7" 135 lbs, rail thin and looked like and acted like a hyper Charlie McCarthy puppet. Guy was hilarious and like a Damon Runyon character. So fast forward about 35 years and he graduated to a car salesman in a dealer not far from my house. One day when buying my son's truck from that dealer I had asked about Johnny (he had since retired) stories.

So the finance manger tells me that Ely Manning had come in with his entourage for a dealer promotion (when he was with the Giants, here in NJ). So little Johnny breaks out his instant Polaroid camera to get a few pics and Ely's bodyguards basically tackled him because they had never seen one before due to their ages and cell phones/cameras etc. An honest misunderstanding and Ely was very apologetic and gracious and proceeded to have his picture taken with Johnny,

Ok back to Porsches ...

Old 07-22-2024 | 03:48 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Cavalry
Hoping to learn, as I have a new to me 997.2. What function does the AOS perform (beyond the name), what are symptoms of a failing one, and is it a replacement item based on mileage? Am a little concerned about the oil consumption I am seeing on mine but have only 1500mi to assess. Thanks!
I have a small write up on the purpose and function of the Porsche AOS that you might find useful.

Did you have the cylinders bore scoped for scoring as part of a PPI before purchasing the new to you 997.2?
The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
Slakker (07-23-2024), Stephen-LN (07-23-2024)
Old 07-22-2024 | 04:43 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

I saw Troy Aikman at the DFW airport once. He had nothing to say about borescoring. Or maybe he did. I didn’t talk to him.

Anywho, I’ll be paying A LOT more attention to spark plugs from now on.
Old 07-22-2024 | 05:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I once installed some fancy spark plugs in my 1968 Nova and one day, the car would not start. It would just turn over. After replacing the coil, distributor, wires, battery, etc., my brother - who knew nothing about cars - said that maybe the spark plugs were bad. I was like ‘yeah right, all 8 of them just suddenly went bad all at once?’

I put the originals back in and she fired right up.
Old 07-22-2024 | 06:07 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
I once installed some fancy spark plugs in my 1968 Nova and one day, the car would not start. It would just turn over. After replacing the coil, distributor, wires, battery, etc., my brother - who knew nothing about cars - said that maybe the spark plugs were bad. I was like ‘yeah right, all 8 of them just suddenly went bad all at once?’

I put the originals back in and she fired right up.
That’s one way to “refresh” the ignition system.

Quick Reply: 997 cylinder damage from incorrect spark plugs installed in Raby engine - what to do?