Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 cylinder damage from incorrect spark plugs installed in Raby engine - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 05:42 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by festina-lente
Wow, this comment sounds serious. It almost has a Ferruccio Lamborghini vs. Enzo Ferrari feel to it. I am surprised no one else, besides Charles Navarro's comment, has inquired about pistons allegedly beign a weak link in FSI's engines. Mr. Slakker, could you expand on JE Pistons' quality? Is it only related to Porsche engine pistons? In addition, I'm not sure if I understood correctly the thermostat malfunction.
Agreed, sharp comment. Curious about the thermostat and waiting for a response as well.
Old 07-19-2024, 05:51 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Wow, this comment sounds serious. It almost has a Ferruccio Lamborghini vs. Enzo Ferrari feel to it. I am surprised no one else, besides Charles Navarro's comment, has inquired about pistons allegedly beign a weak link in FSI's engines. Mr. Slakker, could you expand on JE Pistons' quality? Is it only related to Porsche engine pistons? In addition, I'm not sure if I understood correctly the thermostat malfunction.
Only thing is NOTHING in his comment has anything to do with the actual situation the OP is in. IMO @Petza914 should have also removed that comment to minimize any unnecessary drama that you are clearly attempting to tease out.

Last edited by bgoetz; 07-19-2024 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2024, 06:07 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Only thing is NOTHING in his comment has anything to do with the actual situation the OP is in. IMO @Petza914 should have also removed that comment to minimize any unnecessary drama that you are clearly attempting to tease out.
bgoetz, no teasing or "unnecessary drama;" just questions. Slakker's comment implied he brought Hartech to the U.S. based on his alleged dissatisfaction with an FSI engine. Let him reply.
The following users liked this post:
Haalex (07-24-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 07:34 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

bgoetz, no teasing or "unnecessary drama;" just questions. Slakker's comment implied he brought Hartech to the U.S. based on his alleged dissatisfaction with an FSI engine. Let him reply.
But the only reason that comment was made was the misrepresentation of the issue being related to FSI. It has no place in this thread which should be focused on how to not make the same mistake as the OP and if you do how to resolve it. Hopefully Slakker realizes that and does the right thing by not continuing the discussion.
Old 07-19-2024, 07:39 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

I can't comment to JE's quality on other engines but I have seen some data on their tolerances vs Mahle and a few others specifically as they relate to M96/M97 and they were at the bottom. We just finished an engine this week that came in with a set that had 6 thou piston to wall clearance and were literally just banging around in there. And it's the lowest cost piston that LN offers. I think Charles made a fair point that they have seen improvements in their quality and LN also offers Mahle motorsports pistons which once again, based on the data I've seen, are generally on par with the custom manufactured Capricorn pistons that we use. So I will apologize for quoting data that I am not privy to publish, but I'm also not saying anything that should be surprising if you simply look at the cost of the three manufacturers.

I would still like to see the OP's pre and post AOS replacement manometer readings. My hope is that that really is the issue and he's able to come out OK on this deal.

And I also staunchly disagree with the condescending and arrogant roasting of the OP but realize that that is just part of Rennlist. And that some people feel like they need to act that way in order to feel good about themselves. But I also believe that it is one of the reasons why our porsche engine gurus facebook group, where we genuinely try and help people and have a no tolerance policy for that type of BS, is up to almost 25k people.
The following 7 users liked this post by Slakker:
alaris (07-20-2024), Ericson38 (07-19-2024), Graufuchs (07-20-2024), gutenfreibier (07-22-2024), Haalex (07-24-2024), myw (07-22-2024), Rig.Stunts (07-20-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-19-2024, 08:03 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
I can't comment to JE's quality on other engines but I have seen some data on their tolerances vs Mahle and a few others specifically as they relate to M96/M97 and they were at the bottom. We just finished an engine this week that came in with a set that had 6 thou piston to wall clearance and were literally just banging around in there. And it's the lowest cost piston that LN offers. I think Charles made a fair point that they have seen improvements in their quality and LN also offers Mahle motorsports pistons which once again, based on the data I've seen, are generally on par with the custom manufactured Capricorn pistons that we use. So I will apologize for quoting data that I am not privy to publish, but I'm also not saying anything that should be surprising if you simply look at the cost of the three manufacturers.

I would still like to see the OP's pre and post AOS replacement manometer readings. My hope is that that really is the issue and he's able to come out OK on this deal.

And I also staunchly disagree with the condescending and arrogant roasting of the OP but realize that that is just part of Rennlist. And that some people feel like they need to act that way in order to feel good about themselves. But I also believe that it is one of the reasons why our porsche engine gurus facebook group, where we genuinely try and help people and have a no tolerance policy for that type of BS, is up to almost 25k people.
Thanks for the reply. It establishes well your experience regarding quality issues with JE Pistons. This is something to keep in mind when looking at rebuilding a Porsche engine, or one already rebuilt with this brand. Since you did not address the other issue in your response, I will assume it's a personal matter that's not for public consumption.
The following 2 users liked this post by festina-lente:
Ericson38 (07-19-2024), SlakkerRacingDev (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 10:18 PM
SlakkerRacingDev
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 105 Posts

I concur that my beef with Jake is off topic and not relevant to the OP’s issues.
Old 07-19-2024, 10:22 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts

You are a good person and I agree. This is the reason I left RL 10 years ago before coming back and sometimes I wonder why. My father tells me I am wasting my time but I already know that. My idea was that maybe I could help people avoid some of the mistakes I made when I first got on this platform 20 years ago and got screwed over, and to pass on some of the same ideas my mentor, the best pro Porsche wrench I have ever met, taught me...... but car forums that are not moderated are just like this. One of these days maybe I am going to learn....
The following 2 users liked this post by silver_tt:
alaris (07-20-2024), SlakkerRacingDev (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 11:03 AM
alaris
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 83 Posts

This place is so toxic. There is so much negativity on here. I try to ignore it because there’s so much good information, but the nastiness just for nastiness’ sake is really too much sometimes. There are screaming matches in the 992 forum over the start button, the 992 GT3 forum has personal attacks over the relative merits of McLarens. On here if you own a 997.1 you are told you basically deserve financial ruin via bore scoring. It’s just too much.

Last edited by alaris; 07-20-2024 at 11:05 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by alaris:
Graufuchs (07-20-2024), leeked (07-20-2024), myw (07-22-2024), Slakker (07-20-2024), Targanonymous (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 11:44 AM
punchdrunked
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Reading this thread is an eye opener for me more so that I actually own a .1S with bore scored liners and piston slap. The op asked a legitimate question and titled the thread accurately and simply sought guidance and assistance, guidance that owners of the .1 have sought for over 10 years now. That the OP was forced to change the thread title due to pressure from some is unfortunate as it comes across as trying to manage the narrative, to stop free speech. Ok, we get that there are vested interests in all of this, but forumers should be able to speak freely on a forum and the right of reply being part of the debate. We all learn that way.

As for the Op, I feel for you and I hope you get it sorted. This may not be the best place to glean a reasoned explanation of your issue/s.
The following 2 users liked this post by punchdrunked:
alaris (07-20-2024), Slakker (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 11:59 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by punchdrunked
Reading this thread is an eye opener for me more so that I actually own a .1S with bore scored liners and piston slap. The op asked a legitimate question and titled the thread accurately and simply sought guidance and assistance, guidance that owners of the .1 have sought for over 10 years now. That the OP was forced to change the thread title due to pressure from some is unfortunate as it comes across as trying to manage the narrative, to stop free speech. Ok, we get that there are vested interests in all of this, but forumers should be able to speak freely on a forum and the right of reply being part of the debate. We all learn that way.

As for the Op, I feel for you and I hope you get it sorted. This may not be the best place to glean a reasoned explanation of your issue/s.
I think you are correct. If you follow this from beginning to this point, there are underlying threads of competing narratives. I think there’s been a fair attempt by several to call it out and set the record straight. Yes, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but we all know what the say about opinions. I’m glad we still have some honest brokers in the mix to tease out the truth. And…yes, even this is just another opinion.

All of that aside, there is some good info in the thread. And that’s what most of us are here for.
The following users liked this post:
alaris (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 01:01 PM
carguy999
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 82 Posts

This is probably a useless comment but I just read through this all and I think we need to look at this forum and count ourselves lucky! We've got folks like petza914, groovezilla, silver_tt, slakker, flat6/LN, etc etc etc, the list goes on and on, contributing experience, wisdom, and patience. This is 100 percent the best car forum on the planet. Not to mention that most of our posters are articulate (and can read, which is not usually a given on the wide wild internet).
The following 7 users liked this post by carguy999:
Dragon997 (07-21-2024), Graufuchs (07-20-2024), groovzilla (07-20-2024), myw (07-22-2024), Petza914 (07-21-2024), stripersteve (07-20-2024), TerrestrialFlyte (07-20-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-20-2024, 02:35 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Originally Posted by punchdrunked
If you are referring to my suggestion of changing the thread title to include "Jake Raby Rebuild", I suggested it because there has never been a Jake Raby engine that I know of who's cylinder walls have been effected by Bore Scoring or deep gouges.
There was no underlying attempt at diverting the thread or disallowing free speech.----->As the Thread progressed, Zeus's investigative work shed light on the fact that there was previous history of incorrect spark plugs being used and caused issues internally.
At that point it was obvious the OP neglected to give complete history therefore it was most likely good idea to have Petza change the Thread title to be more factual.

I see absolutely no problem with changing the title.

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-20-2024 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 10:14 AM
B453D
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus

@tbobby910 Did you retrieve the debris? Or did it pass through the exhaust ports and out the tailpipe? Surly it's not still ricocheting in the combustion chambers...
Old 07-21-2024, 11:09 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts

After coming here for advice in a stressful situation and being publicly reprimanded for it, I doubt the OP is coming back anytime soon, especially to answer questions -- I know I wouldn't. The center electrode is small and likely eventually passed out of the cylinder through the exhaust ports and I would assume is sitting in the catalytic converter since it's too large to pass through the honeycomb. I have seen this situation before but instead of using the wrong spark plugs, the person bought them off eBay and they were fakes. Unfortunately for him, the cylinders were not plated with Nikasil.

This thread really never had anything to do with a "Jake Raby rebuild". The only way it relates to Jake is that he uses Nikasil and this engine does not have bore scoring, it's scuffed up a bit. Telling the OP it needs a rebuild is complete rubbish. When I bought a high end Porsche from a famous athlete who screwed me over, I never thought he could be a liar because he was famous and had a ton of money. I was much younger and naive then. What I didn't realize was that his career was quickly coming to an end and he had foolishly blown all his money from endorsements and started taking shortcuts all over his life. This promptly left me up **** creek since I had a lot less money than I do now and when I engaged the person who taught me just about everything I know about working on cars he didn't tell me that I was an idiot, which there would have been some truth to. "You fell in love with the car" was the only thing he said and then he helped guide me to fix it better than it ever was. In the end I learned something from it but it was an expensive lesson. The OP is in a much better situation than I was in at the time. The engine does not need to be rebuilt again, this is complete nonsense. All is not lost here..
The following 4 users liked this post by silver_tt:
alaris (07-21-2024), Graufuchs (07-21-2024), myw (07-22-2024), Prairiedawg (07-21-2024)

Quick Reply: 997 cylinder damage from incorrect spark plugs installed in Raby engine - what to do?