Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 cylinder damage from incorrect spark plugs installed in Raby engine - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2024, 11:57 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
So really, the thread should be titled something like "concerned about oil consumption on FSI rebuilt engine" and really has nothing to do with bore scoring caused by an incorrect spark plug being installed and the internal engine damage it coming apart may have caused. That should also be in the first post with the comment that the oil consumption issue was present even before the internal engine damage from the spark plug debris.

Sounds to me like the best course of action is to check the fuel trims, smoke test the intake for any leaks or AOS leaks, then do the cylinder break in process and see where you are.

Attaching a "bore scoring" accusation with Jake's name that had nothing to do with the engine he built isn't fair to either Jake or Charles and becomes more click-bait than fact.

I'm seriously considering deleting the whole thread and letting us start over or at least changing the title.
The nice thing about all this is that informed people can pretty quickly sort things out. That's what gets us past inflammatory clickbait, not censoring people or deleting threads.

Silver_tt made the great suggestion up in comment #8 to open a ticket with Charles. I mentioned up in comment #13 that it didn't look like typical "bore scoring" (i.e. aluminum galling) and it was likely caused by foreign debris, I also seconded the reco to bring it to Charles attention. Charles then in comment #21 confirmed that it looked like foreign object damage with some additional thoughts on mitigation. As usual, Charles offered insight in his always professional manner without marketing hype or defensiveness. ZuffenZeus then blew things out of the water with his sleuthing in comment #50.

The lesson in all of this is that is that it's best to let things play out as the smart people on here will usually get to the bottom of things. Sure there are lots of people that say things without thinking, post emotional rants, or paint decidedly one-sided pictures. But there are some folks on here with pretty good BS detectors who aren't afraid to use them.

I mention this as there have been some questionable (IMO) comments deleted and threads closed recently when someone said something that offended a vendor. It isn't helpful as it looks like a cover up (even when it isn't). Sunshine is the best disinfectant.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
Graufuchs (07-21-2024), Hella-Buggin' (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 12:14 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
This promptly left me up **** creek since I had a lot less money than I do now and when I engaged the person who taught me just about everything I know about working on cars he didn't tell me that I was an idiot, which there would have been some truth to. "You fell in love with the car" was the only thing he said and then he helped guide me to fix it better than it ever was. In the end I learned something from it but it was an expensive lesson. The OP is in a much better situation than I was in at the time. The engine does not need to be rebuilt again, this is complete nonsense. All is not lost here..
Exactly, what I think is sometimes lost here is the fact that these cars are emotional purchases and sometimes become a labor of love. These cars are not purchased for practical needs.

Performance per dollar these cars come in pretty low, however the driving experience comes in pretty high.

I do not think the OP came into this with bad intentions or to stir the pot. He was asking for assistance/guidance and may have assumed that the prior plug issue was no longer an issue. We all make mistakes, lets not forget that.
Old 07-21-2024, 12:19 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alaris
This place is so toxic. There is so much negativity on here. I try to ignore it because there’s so much good information, but the nastiness just for nastiness’ sake is really too much sometimes. There are screaming matches in the 992 forum over the start button, the 992 GT3 forum has personal attacks over the relative merits of McLarens. On here if you own a 997.1 you are told you basically deserve financial ruin via bore scoring. It’s just too much.
Seriously alaris, just learn to ignore ignorant people shooting off their mouths, you will be much happier. If you can't then stay away from Rennlist (and the internet in general). I take a several month vacation every year or two when I get fed up and it's quite therapeutic. My most recent one was after I posted a thread on a close-out Tirerack was having on Bridgestone Potenzas where I got them for under half price. Thought others might be interested in the deal. The very first response was "those tires are crap, they are too loud, and my Michelins PS4's are better". Well no **** Sherlock, I was posting on a deal not arguing they are the world's greatest tires.

Some people are just miserable in their lives, like to argue, and take it out on the rest of us. Or they are neurotic and get some perverse pleasure in lying awake at night worrying their engine will score. They finally fulfill a dream of buying a car they've wanted since high school, and can't enjoy it for some strange reason. I don't get it but thank God I don't have to live with them, or listen to them for that matter.

Last edited by PV997; 07-21-2024 at 12:21 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by PV997:
alaris (07-21-2024), Chalkboss (07-21-2024), myw (07-22-2024), Targanonymous (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 12:36 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 560 Posts

^^This^^

I read through the whole thread and didn't think anyone had ill intents until the name calling. Other than that, it was standard RL fare with problem, informed people or experts chiming in, and offered solutions. I will say asking about FSI bore scoring without explaining the spark plug issue is a pretty big omission. As far as folks getting their panties in a bunch over what some random other person on the thread thinks is a bit narcissistic. What do I care what some other person online who doesn't know me, my family, or anything about me think? Who has no bearing on my life whatsoever. Say bad things about me, call me Hitler, knock yourself out. "That PDawg, he's an as*****". OK, probably.
If my FIL whom I deeply admire said these things, I would be crushed. Rennlist, not really. I think some people love the drama and loved to be offended.

I don't know if the OP is coming back but hopefully he follows Charles' advice and gets his consumption problem ironed out but at the end of it, this is just another RL thread.

The following 2 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
alaris (07-21-2024), myw (07-22-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 01:24 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

This thread really never had anything to do with a "Jake Raby rebuild". The only way it relates to Jake is that he uses Nikasil and this engine does not have bore scoring, it's scuffed up a bit. Telling the OP it needs a rebuild is complete rubbish. When I bought a high end Porsche from a famous athlete who screwed me over, I never thought he could be a liar because he was famous and had a ton of money. I was much younger and naive then. What I didn't realize was that his career was quickly coming to an end and he had foolishly blown all his money from endorsements and started taking shortcuts all over his life. This promptly left me up **** creek since I had a lot less money than I do now and when I engaged the person who taught me just about everything I know about working on cars he didn't tell me that I was an idiot, which there would have been some truth to. "You fell in love with the car" was the only thing he said and then he helped guide me to fix it better than it ever was. In the end I learned something from it but it was an expensive lesson. The OP is in a much better situation than I was in at the time. The engine does not need to be rebuilt again, this is complete nonsense. All is not lost here..
As to negativity and censorship on Rennlist, telling us this story without naming the athlete ought to be a bannable offense!!

Just kidding, I get why you didn't name him. As to "falling in love with the car" I've learned over the decades that falling in love with pretty much anything other than one's wife never ends well. Making decisions based on emotion, certainly on something as silly as a car, is just foolish.

The OP walked into a minefield likely without realizing it as his post hit or two emotion-laden topics around here; 1) bore scoring and 2) Raby engines. Too bad he couldn't work in an IMS failure somehow for the trifecta. But that being said, he omitted the fact that he knew he previously had foreign debris rattling around in his engine. That is entirely relevant and a pretty glaring omission. I can't judge his motives but if you do something like that you are going to get spanked, regardless of motives.

Just be up front about things, it avoids a lot of unnecessary pain.
Old 07-21-2024, 01:47 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
As to negativity and censorship on Rennlist, telling us this story without naming the athlete ought to be a bannable offense!!

Just kidding, I get why you didn't name him. As to "falling in love with the car" I've learned over the decades that falling in love with pretty much anything other than one's wife never ends well. Making decisions based on emotion, certainly on something as silly as a car, is just foolish.

The OP walked into a minefield likely without realizing it as his post hit or two emotion-laden topics around here; 1) bore scoring and 2) Raby engines. Too bad he couldn't work in an IMS failure somehow for the trifecta. But that being said, he omitted the fact that he knew he previously had foreign debris rattling around in his engine. That is entirely relevant and a pretty glaring omission. I can't judge his motives but if you do something like that you are going to get spanked, regardless of motives.

Just be up front about things, it avoids a lot of unnecessary pain.
As for the athlete, he is a hothead and I don't want him coming back and trying to axe murder me When I contacted him about the problem back then asking about the records I found out he removed, he started screaming at me on the phone uncontrollably telling me he would beat the crap out of me. I have no doubt he could, I am 6 feet and 160 pounds and fighting is not my specialty. Glad to have that guy out of my life forever, but thanks for the awesome car! Thankfully I was lucky to have someone smart, much older and experienced than I was, to guide me how to resolve the situation and all is well that ends well. And while I don't believe in karma per se, let's just say that life has been much more kind to me than it has been to him since then. In some sense in life, you make your own luck....

Falling in love with anything too fast, even a romantic partner, can be a disaster. The lesson I learned from the athlete ended up being a cheap one in the sense that it served me well in much bigger purchases like a house and in other areas of my life later. At the time the situation was crushing and I lost sleep over it. In hindsight it was nothing, I have made a small fortune since then....

For the OP, I don't believe they came here trying to hide anything. I honestly think he was in a bind and just wanted advice. While it may seem like he hid or omitted information, I don't think that was the case -- but I will admit that is pure speculation on my part. The fact that he had already posted about the plugs here previously means it was all there to see. I know you are knowledgeable about cars but many people here and on other car forums are not. Sometimes I look back on things I thought or said long ago when I knew less and can't believe I thought them.

I do agree with you about ignoring the negativity and for this reason I have learned about the block feature. But the flip side of that is even when you block it out that doesn't change the fact that it does not create a nice and welcoming environment that people want to come back to. I do agree some people are probably just unhappy with their life or need to act like that to make themselves feel important or better. And for new people to RL like the OP was, I doubt he knows which user or users should be blocked. I see your point and agree with you, but I also think some people would not behave like this without the guise of anonymity.

Last edited by silver_tt; 07-21-2024 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 02:05 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,013 Likes on 2,968 Posts

Hats off to Zeus for sniffing this one out.

We get the occassional newbie/just joined jackass posting some ridiculous stuff. OP should have dislosed the spark plug issue in his opening post.
I called one jackass out several months ago after he posted a Bore Scoring thread. I warned others to stay away from that particular car "if" it was seen for sale. OP got poopy pants.
Some of you(silver_tt) may remeber. In the end, after all the drama, he was in the wrong and would up deleting all his posts on RL Forum and another forum.
He was banned from RL as well.

Also, for those of you who question the Moderators, they do a damn good job and get to the bottom of any BS when it's called for.

I think it's good to dissect newbieThreads/posts to get to the bottom of whats really going on. Most members are genuine in their threads/posts. A few others not so much.
I do it all in the interest of others who are new at buying Porsche's and I feel a duty to weed out screwballs.

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-21-2024 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 02:44 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't believe (just speculating) that the OP's omission was intentional for two reasons. One, I don't think he had made the connection between the spark plugs and the one actual score mark on the cylinder. And two, he was misinterpreting the scuff marks on the Nikasil as scoring, a common mistake made by even trained Porsche technicians, and that do not appear to be related to the spark plugs at all.

I also believe that all of the marks are largely cosmetic and a dyno graph would confirm that he is not losing a noticeable amount of power as a result.

I also don't believe that the one score mark we've seen is a major factor in the oil consumption, which I consider the real issue, but am skeptical that he is reporting correctly. 1L/300-500 miles is not only a very large range, but 1L/300 miles would be enough to be visibly smoking.

Even if he replaced the AOS with an aftermarket brand, which is a horrible idea, if the AOS was the cause of the consumption, there is a high likelihood it still would have solved the issue.

If the issue is in fact blow-by from switching to full synthetic prior to the rings fully seating, then similar to what Charles has said, switching to a conventional oil, running the car at higher loads and higher RPMs, along with shorter change intervals, should dramatically improve the consumption.

Just my thoughts based on what we know to date, which may be all we ever know.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slakker:
myw (07-22-2024), silver_tt (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 06:01 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Hats off to Zeus for sniffing this one out.

We get the occassional newbie/just joined jackass posting some ridiculous stuff. OP should have dislosed the spark plug issue in his opening post.
I called one jackass out several months ago after he posted a Bore Scoring thread. I warned others to stay away from that particular car "if" it was seen for sale. OP got poopy pants.
Some of you(silver_tt) may remeber. In the end, after all the drama, he was in the wrong and would up deleting all his posts on RL Forum and another forum.
He was banned from RL as well.

Also, for those of you who question the Moderators, they do a damn good job and get to the bottom of any BS when it's called for.

I think it's good to dissect newbieThreads/posts to get to the bottom of whats really going on. Most members are genuine in their threads/posts. A few others not so much.
I do it all in the interest of others who are new at buying Porsche's and I feel a duty to weed out screwballs.
While that may be true, what you probably don't know is that the moderators contacted me about that situation and you almost got permanently banned from this site because of your behavior. Because you come here so often and I know this website means a lot to you, I said that I didn't want you banned permanently. This what it means to be a bigger person and a grown up.
Old 07-21-2024, 07:28 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,013 Likes on 2,968 Posts

While that may be true, what you probably don't know is that the moderators contacted me about that situation and you almost got permanently banned from this site because of your behavior. Because you come here so often and I know this website means a lot to you, I said that I didn't want you banned permanently. This what it means to be a bigger person and a grown up.
News to me---->I've never heard of a member being asked by the Moderators if someone should be Banned. Must be a new practise.
That OP was a weird dude and glad he's banned......Even better his car is known and hopefully buyers stay far away from it.

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-21-2024 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 08:58 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Against my better judgement I'll ask the question: Why would mods ask another contributor if someone else should be banned? Who cares what they think, what's next we run a poll? People should be banned if they continue to violate the written terms of service after being given a clear warning. Period, end of story. And that's a clear violation, some some mod's personal interpretation. Hurting people's feelings isn't grounds for a banning unless it's done as a malicious and repeated attack.

It's nice of you to have said that you didn't think Groov should be banned, I appreciate that as I find his comments informative and entertaining. But making comments that imply you saved his membership out of the goodness of your heart is a bit much. Some things are better left unsaid.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (07-22-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 11:01 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
News to me---->I've never heard of a member being asked by the Moderators if someone should be Banned. Must be a new practise.
That OP was a weird dude and glad he's banned......Even better his car is known and hopefully buyers stay far away from it.
Groov, I thought this was Gelato day ; )
According to a source with good access, he has plans to sell it to purchase a 992.
groovzilla (07-22-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 11:04 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Against my better judgement I'll ask the question: Why would mods ask another contributor if someone else should be banned? Who cares what they think, what's next we run a poll? People should be banned if they continue to violate the written terms of service after being given a clear warning. Period, end of story. And that's a clear violation, some some mod's personal interpretation. Hurting people's feelings isn't grounds for a banning unless it's done as a malicious and repeated attack.

It's nice of you to have said that you didn't think Groov should be banned, I appreciate that as I find his comments informative and entertaining. But making comments that imply you saved his membership out of the goodness of your heart is a bit much. Some things are better left unsaid.
Informative? Who cares! The entertainment value is off the charts!
groovzilla (07-22-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 11:19 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

For the record, if we lose Groov, we've lost big time. He's owned more Porsches than Porsche.

Seriously, he's a good guy and very knowledgeable of these cars... and, I consider him a great RL friend. If I lived in Seattle, I'd hang out with him on a regular basis. He loves Porsche, AirStream and an amazing photographer.

Oh, but I've never dared to ask him what his brand and model of camera he prefers. Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad?.... Polaroid??? My wife is a professional photographer and prefers Nikon. Groov, we actually shot our recent vacation in 35mm film. ha! Loved it. People thought I was weird. Like manual transmission, it's a dying art form.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
groovzilla (07-22-2024), TRINITONY (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 05:48 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 733 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus

Oh, but I've never dared to ask him what his brand and model of camera he prefers. Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad?.... Polaroid??? My wife is a professional photographer and prefers Nikon. Groov, we actually shot our recent vacation in 35mm film. ha! Loved it. People thought I was weird. Like manual transmission, it's a dying art form.
I like the Fujifilm film-simulator profiles. That is what I shoot. I really can't deal with actual film anymore.

Back to cars: Groove for president, or at least, don't ban him.
groovzilla (07-22-2024)

Quick Reply: 997 cylinder damage from incorrect spark plugs installed in Raby engine - what to do?