Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK feedback

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 04:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I read somewhere the PDK was designed to encourage more female drivers/buyers?.
So by that logic, both Ferrari and Lamborghini haven't offered manual transmissions for I think close to 5 years now. For the sole purpose of attracting more female drivers/buyers? A remote possibility I guess but not one I would buy into. Especially after reading a story (posted below) where Lambo's CEO gave the reason for Lambo ending the production of manuals altogether. Not even an option since 2019 no matter what a buyer is willing to pay. Things evolve and apparently, most buyers of high end sports cars find excitement in new impressively performing technology.

Here. Has exactly nothing to do with attracting female drivers but has everything to do with overall demand. At least that's how I read it.

Why Lamborghini Trashed the Manual Transmission

Badgered about the lack of a manual by journalists during a tech session on the new Huracán at the automaker’s headquarters in Sant’Agata Bolognese last week, chief engineer Maurizio Reggiani brought up the fact that just five percent of Gallardo orders were for a manual. Mid-sentence, he was interrupted by company CEO Stephan Winkelmann who commented that the 5 percent statistic was ancient.“Close to zero percent Gallardos were ordered in manual,” he said.

In fact, orders for a manual transmission were so few and far between admits Winkelman that every time one came in they had to go back and re-check the order form, confirming with the dealership that a mistake hadn’t been made.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...nsmission.html

Old 07-05-2024, 05:00 AM
B911L
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I read a study that showed that manual drivers who constantly post about the superiority of manual over pdk do so as a way of compensating for their tiny dicks.
Old 07-05-2024, 06:38 AM
Carlos911
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love this american humor me keep it up folks !
Old 07-05-2024, 09:13 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,883 Likes on 2,888 Posts

[QUOTE=sandwedge;19531015]So by that logic, both Ferrari and Lamborghini haven't offered manual transmissions for I think close to 5 years now. For the sole purpose of attracting more female drivers/buyers? A remote possibility I guess but not one I would buy into. Especially after reading a story (posted below) where Lambo's CEO gave the reason for Lambo ending the production of manuals altogether. Not even an option since 2019 no matter what a buyer is willing to pay. Things evolve and apparently, most buyers of high end sports cars find excitement in new impressively performing technology.
Here. Has exactly nothing to do with attracting female drivers but has everything to do with overall demand. At least that's how I read it.[QUOTE]

Reminds me of how much I loved shifting my 308 - Totally engaged.
Couldn't imagine driving a sportscar with Automatic Transmission. I'd pass on a new Ferrari just for that reason.

.....So IMO to OP I would look for a Manual Transmission 997 over a PDK for sure. ---->Be patient they are out there.
I's well worth the wait!

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-05-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2024, 11:50 AM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
(Good thing you didn't bring up the topic of engine oil....)
Or Miatas.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hootsama:
groovzilla (07-05-2024), Ironman88 (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 01:31 PM
flat6---
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
So by that logic, both Ferrari and Lamborghini haven't offered manual transmissions for I think close to 5 years now. For the sole purpose of attracting more female drivers/buyers? A remote possibility I guess but not one I would buy into. Especially after reading a story (posted below) where Lambo's CEO gave the reason for Lambo ending the production of manuals altogether. Not even an option since 2019 no matter what a buyer is willing to pay. Things evolve and apparently, most buyers of high end sports cars find excitement in new impressively performing technology.

Here. Has exactly nothing to do with attracting female drivers but has everything to do with overall demand. At least that's how I read it.

Well, I’m sure it is because technology has gotten so much better that they prefer to drop the manual on sport cars to make them perform better.

Obviously, there is a reason on why Formula 1 drives on PDK type of transmission and not manual since 1993.

the rest is a matter of preference for each their own.

here is a video on F1:

Old 07-05-2024, 02:41 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had both and can have just as much fun in either car. If I had to pick a forever late model 911 it would probably be a PDK, being a blast to drive but not monotonous in traffic. Porsche cable actuated box's are not exactly considered the most mechanically exciting even with help from numeric and such.

There is a lot of 3 pedal pride on RL. Never understood why, not a hard skill or anything. Would certainly shy away from anyone wearing it like a badge of honor or something (hats, stickers, shirts with gear patterns).

Besides isn't there enough Richard Craniums already in P car land?
The following users liked this post:
Wayne Smith (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:03 PM
Targanonymous
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by myltz400

Besides isn't there enough Richard Craniums already in P car land?
There certainly are anytime Groove is in the room. His opinion and blessing on any car is all that should matter apparently. His narcissism is overwhelming.
The following 2 users liked this post by Targanonymous:
flat6--- (07-05-2024), KLS (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 09:38 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targanonymous
There certainly are anytime Groove is in the room. His opinion and blessing on any car is all that should matter apparently. His narcissism is overwhelming.
Wow lots of poopy pants PDK lovers.
I'll try and refrain from joking around when PDK opinions are asked. Will be tough.
.....BTW here's another recent PDK problem you can add to the growing list:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-in-park.html

Old 07-05-2024, 10:28 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=groovzilla;19532143]Wow lots of poopy pants PDK lovers.
I'll try and refrain from joking around when PDK opinions are asked. Will be tough.

Seems like the “poopy pants” and “panties in a bunch” are mostly your symptoms. GZ makes me feel a bit like I’m back in junior high. Feel free to respond when you sober up.
Old 07-05-2024, 11:43 PM
B911L
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=KLS;19532194]

Seems like the “poopy pants” and “panties in a bunch” are mostly your symptoms. GZ makes me feel a bit like I’m back in junior high. Feel free to respond when you sober up.
Trust that jerk to gloat on somebody's post seeking help. What a massive piece of ****. Yet the moderators find his comments entertaining. Disgusting. What a sad and pathetic little man.
KLS (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 12:35 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=B911L;19532277]
Originally Posted by KLS
Trust that jerk to gloat on somebody's post seeking help. What a massive piece of ****. Yet the moderators find his comments entertaining. Disgusting. What a sad and pathetic little man.
No---> Just another example of the issues associated with the PDK transmission. There seem to be many. 2 friends paid over $20K to have their PDK Transmissions repaired and there are many threads regarding PDK issues and the expensive cost to repair or replace them.
Try and remember this was a PDK opinion post on reliability----> "Are PDK really complicated? Do they require expensive maintenance? Are they reliable and they should last for a long time if properly maintained?"

Even properly maintained many are unreliable and costly to repair. That's the bottom line

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-06-2024 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 03:14 AM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Reminds me of how much I loved shifting my 308 - Totally engaged.
Total junk cars. Glad to have a classic, Enzo-era 246 GTS in the family for over 40 years. If you must have a 308, the GT4s drive so much better than GTB/GTS and you don't need to have a Hawaiian shirt and mustache to own one. 308 GTS is a typical "never meet your heroes" car, having driven several -- from early carbed fiberglass cars to later quattrovalvoles. From the low-res photo, yours appears to be an 80-82 2-valve FI car, the weakest and least desirable of the bunch.

Last edited by RJ80; 07-06-2024 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 03:16 AM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos911
Love this american humor me keep it up folks !
You Mancs have some of the funniest folks around -- case in point, Noel Gallagher. A musical and comedic genius! I own two of his limited-edition signature Gibson guitars and always enjoy his various YouTube interviews.

Last edited by RJ80; 07-06-2024 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 03:29 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-in-park.html
I know it makes your day to find anything you can against a PDK, but in this case we are dealing with an auto that could be a Tip rather than a PDK.

On another note ... The OP has gotten a lot more than he asked for in this thread!!!!!
ADias (07-07-2024)

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK feedback