Sponsored by:

How often are you tailgated?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 12:46 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Default How often are you tailgated?

It seems every drive I take someone ends up tailgating me. It seems that even corollas want to show me who is faster. Every time I drive to San Antonio from Houston on I10 several pickup trucks are determined to tailgate and pass me. I do get tired of spanking these knuckle draggers. Last time I had the 911 up to 130 mph was to put miles between an old pickup truck who continued to weave in and out of traffic to be on my tail like flies on dung. Does this happen to you?

Last edited by David Berry; 09-08-2023 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 01:24 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,013 Posts

The large pickup trucks are the worse offenders. Curse of owning a Porsche.
The following 3 users liked this post by Optionman1:
aasilvia (09-08-2023), BHMav8r (09-12-2023), Kodos9865 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 01:29 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
The large pickup trucks are the worse offenders. Curse of owning a Porsche.
All trucks, especially the jacked up ones, have their headlights at my eye level. Self dimming mirrors are of no help.
They are nuisances deliberately. 🤬
Old 09-08-2023, 01:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Very often. Best to move over and let them go. In cases where aggressiveness is not evident turning on hazards often helps.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (10-07-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 01:41 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Funny how they never tailgate into a sharp curve otherwise I'd get to see them rollover in my rear view mirror!
The following 4 users liked this post by Optionman1:
Kodos9865 (09-11-2023), Petza914 (09-09-2023), sandwedge (09-09-2023), Viper pilot (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 01:51 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Top offenders in Los Angeles, Old 1990's Mercedes Benz, Toyota Prius, Volvo SUV's, Tesla SUV, Range Rovers.
I have remarked on many occasions to my wife that I am doing absolutely nothing when someone runs up the back of the car, she thinks I am insane.
Old 09-08-2023, 02:10 PM
wbauer2
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok I thought that was just me! Yes I get it all the time. Same thing at stop lights, whoever is beside me wants to drag off green - even the guy in a 1979 wood panel-siding chevy station wagon!
Old 09-08-2023, 02:30 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

It’s called PDS: Porsche Derangement Syndrome.

Happens all the time, On the highway, stoplights you name it. The funniest are the rice boxes….at a stoplight a row or two over and a couple cars back revving their fart cans. I ignore it most of the time, but if the conditions are right, I give them what they are asking for lol.
Kodos9865 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 03:10 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 92 Posts

Especially teenagers or young male drivers......
ParkslopeDope (09-10-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 03:24 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

My biggest concern and absolute fear is that I may need to suddenly stop due to a pothole, road debris, sudden lane change by another car, etc.

The fear comes from knowing that my brakes, because they are engineered that way, will stop me quickly and safely. However, that guy that's pestering me by tailgating will not have the brakes that I have nor the distance to keep him from climbing inside my engine compartment.

And the situation doesn't stop there. Then comes the ridiculous insurance payouts due to questionable depreciations, haggling over what can be fixed versus replaced and last but not least, the 2+ weeks you'll be without car.

All that because some yahoo wanted to show or prove that his POS was as good and fast as your Porsche.

If you're interested, ask me how I know!
Kodos9865 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 04:05 PM
tsulli1
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
My biggest concern and absolute fear is that I may need to suddenly stop due to a pothole, road debris, sudden lane change by another car, etc.

The fear comes from knowing that my brakes, because they are engineered that way, will stop me quickly and safely. However, that guy that's pestering me by tailgating will not have the brakes that I have nor the distance to keep him from climbing inside my engine compartment.

And the situation doesn't stop there. Then comes the ridiculous insurance payouts due to questionable depreciations, haggling over what can be fixed versus replaced and last but not least, the 2+ weeks you'll be without car.

All that because some yahoo wanted to show or prove that his POS was as good and fast as your Porsche.

If you're interested, ask me how I know!
And unlike most other cars... all the expensive stuff is in the back.
dmpslc (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 04:16 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Years ago a friend told me to be careful of tractor trailer drivers when driving Porsche. He encountered some ugly stuff. Also dip-Sh:ts on motorcycles.
As a habit when taking long drives years ago (before all the road rage shootings these days)I would carry a bag of nuts/bolts in my door pocket. Also have a lead Billy Club my dad gave me.

It's probably 15 years ago when I was driving my 1983 911sc Cabriolet w/top down on I5 heading from Seattle to Los Angeles. During the drive it was starting to get dark and I passed a tractor trailer and the driver threw cigarette butt out and hit my windshield like a nuclear explosion. Totally freaked me out.
Was a nasty thing to do and I could see him laughing when I passed him.
Took me a few minutes to settle down but then I slowed down in front of him and as hard as I could threw a handful of nuts and bolts up high in air and behind me. He started sounding his horn. I'm sure I fvcked up his windshield and front end paint. I took off and exited on some side roads for a while. Took 101 south as diversion when paranoia set in ibcase he radio'd ahead to his big rig buddies.

I don't recommend or suggest anyone do this. Thse days you'd probably be shot.

Last edited by groovzilla; 09-08-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Kodos9865 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 04:32 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts

happens a lot, everyone wants to pass the Porsche, I get the Big Ram trucks, the young males in the winged WRXs, I get the Hondas with the red H badge. Sometimes I get them passing me on the right, very bad move, especially in Germany (I'm not in Germany), but I remember being on the Autobahn and my friend told me the rules of the road there. I think my most exciting event was the Honda minivan, brand new, Sport version (I guess there is such a thing?) Chalk with black wheels passing me very quickly, of course on the right. Oh well, I made her day. I do recall one unfortunate Porsche experience though, I was entering on the ramp to the highway in my 987.2 Spyder and right up on me was a Porsche Macan driven by a young male, as I got onto the highway, he gunned it and passed me on the left (no option, the right-hand side was the shoulder) never giving me a chance to fully get in my lane. I guess I made his day. I never engage it's not safe and would make me feel dumb.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:08 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

I have lived in LA since 2000 and I have had at least a half dozen cars here from an 85 Civic hatch to my 911. Every car I have ever driven in here I get tailgated in ruthlessly. I get tailgated in every lane of the highway, on streets, in school zones, even in parking lots. I have even done experiments out of boredom where I go a week ONLY driving in each lane unless there is an obstacle to see if any lanes are worse/better. It is all the same. I have also driven all my wife's EVs and her previous ICE cars. No change. The one thing I noticed about tailgaters is that they are usually driving like that because they are in a POOP CAR. If I am speeding and driving like that it is either because there is 0 traffic and I am having fun somewhere, or I GOTTA POOP!! lol.

However, I came to say that the lights thing is clearly strategic and has happened in every car I have had because since 92, I lower every car I have had. I also have friends with trucks and etc. that corroborate this by telling me their stratedgy to either blind people more efficiently or NOT blind people. Clear(ish) tint (e.g. 70+) and auto dimming mirrors helps but it is still super annoying. 50% tint and down progressively eradicates this issue. I have noticed my friends with euro-privacy glass levels of tint or just privacy windows do not have the issue but I like my 911 with clear windows unfortunately, so you have to pay the truck nuts tax.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:27 PM
Sporty

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

You guys are driving too slow - most of the time no one can keep up if I am zigging/zagging thru moderate traffic. In fact, I will ride up on other 911 Porsches who are driving like gramma (can't stand that, I mean come on, but I am not an a'hole about it) to egg em on some to have some fun if conditions allow.

Only once was I harassed (yelling obscenities at me, swerving into my lane) by some "Deliverence" type hillbillys in a truck from PA traveling in Jersey, but I quickly lost em.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sporty:
groovzilla (09-08-2023), Kodos9865 (09-11-2023)

Quick Reply: How often are you tailgated?