Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often are you tailgated?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 05:42 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Hate it too, but have to ask the Devil's Advocate question. How many of you are driving sticks and leave a huge gap to the car in front of you because you don't want to deal with up/down shifting in heavy traffic? It doesn't excuse it, but if you are doing so and get a Type A personality behind you, all he'll see is you aren't keeping up with traffic.

I mention it as the tailgating problem dramatically dropped for me once I got a PDK and stopped hanging back out of shifting laziness.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:52 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by David Berry
It seems every drive I take someone ends up tailgating me. It seems that even corollas want to show me who is faster. Every time I drive to San Antonio from Houston on I10 several pickup trucks are determined to tailgate and pass me. I do get tired of spanking these knuckle draggers. Last time I had the 911 up to 130 mph was to put miles between an old pickup truck who continued to weave in and out of traffic to be on my tail like flies on dung. Does this happen to you?
Seems we live relatively in same (broad) West Houston area. I use the I-10 almost every day to go to work, and this wide highway is not only famous for awful traffic, but road rage and tailgating are a real disease these days. I have a full size truck, my 997 and wife's Benz , and definitely when driving the 997 is when I'm tailgated the most. I don't know why the usual offender is a lifted full size RAM, a eighteen wheeler freight truck and of course the typical kid in its modified, noisy (20+ years old) Honda, Subaru or Toyota. Usually I don't want to engage and let them pass me as soon as can get out if its way.
However, when driving on two lane back roads is not uncommon to find vehicles in front of you that usually slowdown and slightly move to right and let you pass them, as well as in "lonely" intersections (at same roads), people giving right of way. Maybe is the huge volume and the wide size of the highways that exacerbate this bad behavior in people. In any case, this is one of the reasons why I don't like to drive the Porsche during workdays or rushhour. I simply don't enjoy it, quite the contrary.

Last edited by FlatsixS; 09-11-2023 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:31 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatsixS
Seems we live relatively in same (broad) West Houston area. I use the I-10 almost every day to go to work, and this wide highway is not only famous for awful traffic, but road rage and tailgating are a real disease these days. I have a full size truck, my 997 and wife's Benz , and definitely when driving the 997 is when I'm tailgated the most. I don't know why the usual offender is a lifted full size RAM, a eighteen wheeler freight truck and of course the typical kid in its modified, noisy (20+ years old) Honda, Subaru or Toyota. Usually I don't want to engage and let them pass me as soon as can get out if its way.
However, when driving on two lane back roads is not uncommon to find vehicles in from of you that usually slowdown and slightly move to right and let you pass them, as well as in "lonely" intersections (at same roads), people giving right of way. Maybe is the huge volume and the wide size of the highways that exacerbate this bad behavior in people. In any case, this is one of the reasons why I don't like to drive the Porsche during workdays or rushhour. I simply don't enjoy it, quite the contrary.
I have family in Texas and visit there on occasion (DFW area.)

I recently read an article on the worst States for road rage. Texas was indicated as being one of them - which I certainly agree with. (Arizona was the worst....)

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-i...ional-drivers/

The following users liked this post:
FlatsixS (09-10-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 11:07 PM
Ob917
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 168 Posts

In southern cal it’s usually some chick in her Tesla. Don’t mean to offend any lady’s here, it’s just facts lol
Old 09-09-2023, 11:27 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
My biggest concern and absolute fear is that I may need to suddenly stop due to a pothole, road debris, sudden lane change by another car, etc.

The fear comes from knowing that my brakes, because they are engineered that way, will stop me quickly and safely. However, that guy that's pestering me by tailgating will not have the brakes that I have nor the distance to keep him from climbing inside my engine compartment.

And the situation doesn't stop there. Then comes the ridiculous insurance payouts due to questionable depreciations, haggling over what can be fixed versus replaced and last but not least, the 2+ weeks you'll be without car.

All that because some yahoo wanted to show or prove that his POS was as good and fast as your Porsche.

If you're interested, ask me how I know!
Astur, if you're still in PR, a pothole is the fastest route to mainland China; just let 'em pass.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:49 AM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I have family in Texas and visit there on occasion (DFW area.)

I recently read an article on the worst States for road rage. Texas was indicated as being one of them - which I certainly agree with. (Arizona was the worst....)

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-i...ional-drivers/
interesting article, until now I was thinking that TX was leading the way in this no honorable comparison. If here is severe, can imagine what’s on other states. Seems all exacerbated after pandemic.
Old 09-10-2023, 05:27 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan
If i am being tailgated in the slow lane, I will just slow down until they decide to pass. It never takes long. If a big rig does this, I will purposely slow down while ascending a hill until i know he had to downshift. Usually it takes miles for them to catch back up to me.
Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw on the subject. "The closer you get the slower I go".
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 05:49 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

OT but I want to put this old bumper sticker I inhereted from my uncle that says, "HONK IF SOMETHING FALLS OFF!!" ...or "DON'T LAUGH IT'S PAID FOR." I also got an official belly button cleaner from him (unused).

lol. What was going on exactly in the 70s?

Last edited by jamesinger; 09-10-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:01 PM
GT3twenty10
Pro

Received 349 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
OT but I want to put this old bumper sticker I inhereted from my uncle that says, "HONK IF SOMETHING FALLS OFF!!" ...or "DON'T LAUGH IT'S PAID FOR." I also got an official belly button cleaner from him (unused).

lol. What was going on exactly in the 70s?
they all still thought it was the 60’s
The following 2 users liked this post by GT3twenty10:
Graufuchs (09-10-2023), jamesinger (09-10-2023)

Quick Reply: How often are you tailgated?