nerdnic (03-29-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 06:55 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Nor can the PDK in manual mode.
I'm curious:

If the PDK is in manual, and one is say, in 3rd gear...and one comes to a dead stop...will the car stall as one pulls away from said stop in 3rd gear?

I believe the PDK will downshift automatically in manual mode to prevent that scenario.

Likewise, if in manual mode, and you run the engine up to 7500 RPM on a 997 GTS, does the ECU start fuel topping indefinitely? Will it bounce off the rev limiter like, forever?

I am betting it has software safeguards that override human input- just like preventing a downshift in manual mode that would result in an over-speed.

I think it is "smart" and one ultimately cannot use a PDK like a "manual without a clutch" in every situation. You have ample intervention capability, but not total control.

Correct me if I am wrong: In manual or auto modes, one can manually select any gear, but the PDK software can/will intervene to prevent an overspeed/stall due to operator error.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 03-20-2022 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2022, 03:25 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I'm curious:

If the PDK is in manual, and one is say, in 3rd gear...and one comes to a dead stop...will the car stall as one pulls away from said stop in 3rd gear?

I believe the PDK will downshift automatically in manual mode to prevent that scenario.

Likewise, if in manual mode, and you run the engine up to 7500 RPM on a 997 GTS, does the ECU start fuel topping indefinitely? Will it bounce off the rev limiter like, forever?

I am betting it has software safeguards that override human input- just like preventing a downshift in manual mode that would result in an over-speed.

I think it is "smart" and one ultimately cannot use a PDK like a "manual without a clutch" in every situation. You have ample intervention capability, but not total control.

Correct me if I am wrong: In manual or auto modes, one can manually select any gear, but the PDK software can/will intervene to prevent an overspeed/stall due to operator error.
The computer will protect the car against operator input error. It will bounce off the rev limiter without upshifting. It will downshift to avoid stalling.

It is not truly a manual when in manual mode.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I'm curious:

I think you have total control where it matters. In manual mode I can't think of anything it would do that you wouldn't want it to do. If you're lazy, distracted or whatever and you're slowing to a stop from 6th. gear, you'll be in first gear once at a full stop without having touched the paddles or the gear lever. Likewise, it won't let you run it up above redline but you have total control up to that point.

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The computer will protect the car against operator input error. It will bounce off the rev limiter without upshifting. It will downshift to avoid stalling.

It is not truly a manual when in manual mode.
Kind of a repeat of my response to Liste. This is true, at least when slowing down. You can be in 6th. gear in manual mode and slow down to a full stop without touching the paddles or the gear lever and you'll be in first gear once at a full stop. I was thinking more in terms of up shifting where it will hold the gear selected to redline with no input from the driver. At least that's how my PDK cars have worked. Again, I can't think of anything the PDK will do in manual mode that you wouldn't want it to do. Unless you would want the ability to take it to 8,000 rpm without protection.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:06 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Exactly what sandwedge wrote.
In addition, If you drive a PDK without a PSM in manual mode, the RPM limiter is even more extreme.
BTW, also in manual transmission, if you are in sixth gear and go down to a stop the car will stop and then you will have to shift again to first gear and continue ..
In PDK it will just take you back to first but you will still have to use paddles to keep going. )The PDK's intervention in manual mode is very minor, just like Ferrari's F1 gear.)

And I come back to the point again, PDK does not pretend to be a traditional manual, PDK has a category of its own (the high level of DCT) and that's it.

At the same time, when advertising on sales sites, I think that if there is no option to select "semi-automatic", the PDK should be listed as "automatic" and not "manual" in order not to be misled.

By the way, on a very large sales site called autoscout24.con, you can select "semi-automatic" :-)
Old 03-25-2022, 02:16 PM
gman19
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone looked into this one?
https://www.porschesandiego.com/inve...ab2a95as720553
Old 03-25-2022, 04:50 PM
njavier03
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, its a bit overpriced.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:36 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,621 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by njavier03
yeah, its a bit overpriced.
Yep, especially with 61,000 miles.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:13 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

For the last 18 months, every time I said a car priced preposterously high wouldn't sell, it has.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:47 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by gman19
Don't think it's overpriced these days for a 6 sp. A year ago I was offered more than that for my low mileage 2011 6 sp as a trade in - granted they had no inventory at the time. 60k mi is by no means excessive. If that's overpriced, it won't be for long.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:57 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Agree - overpriced.

If a dealer is going to ask premium $$'s for a 911, they should at least make sure the front bumper cover respray matches the rest of the car. And replace the crapped out stone guards..

Someone sadly will pay the price regardless of that however...

At least it appears to be caught up on maintenance

Old 03-26-2022, 12:23 AM
gman19
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can tell it’s been resprayed?
Old 03-26-2022, 05:42 AM
Spike Speakus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why was the manual transmission replaced in January of this year?
Old 03-26-2022, 07:47 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

I believe that "overpriced" means different things to different buyers.
If someone buys it for full ask price (and we'll never know unless it is an online auction), it was priced EXACTLY right.
99% of the 997s I see online now are "overpriced"...for me.
Since I already own a 997, my opinion is as valid as anyone else's.
If I was looking to buy one, that same opinion would ensure I would never own one.
The following users liked this post:
Kineticdg (03-30-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 11:23 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 707 Likes on 442 Posts

My neighbor is upgrading to a 992. He wants to sell his 2010 997.2 under 40,000 miles PDK car and does not want to get ripped by trading it in (they gave him 45K). He also does not want the hassle of tire kickers. The car is very clean, white on black interior, non-original cat-back exhaust, and with green calipers (yup!). He does not want to go back to stock configuration (just the hassle) and will discount from full list prices to sell it. Obviously, higher than $45K, and likely much less than $80K.

If anyone is interested, and is serious, contact me via and I'll put you in touch.

Last edited by yelcab; 03-26-2022 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Doesn't seem to be many 997.2s for sale