Documenting My Flat 6 Innovations Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 10:52 AM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 372 Likes on 150 Posts

As for the FSI Carbon fiber airbox, unfortunately they are at the tail end of development and not available yet.
Jake finished the development work last week.
Now the challenge is acquiring material to keep up with the demand. The molds have parts in them right now, and will stay that way for a few weeks. It takes 3 molds to build one air box, not to mention all the ancillary pieces that have to be created with the MJF process like the MAF sensor housing and etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by BRS-LN:
rdcyclist (05-15-2023), Scalp_em (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 09:12 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

@Scalp_em awesome to hear! It really is pretty insane how different it is and it is great to hear a comparison from someone who had the GT3 TB and IPD first. I didn’t have those things and was wondering how much difference I was getting from that, based on your feedback seems like it is mostly the new engine. Have you completed the tunes yet, did they do that down there? I have not, but am trying to get there before the end of the year.

I currently have 900 miles, break in oil change will happen this weekend. It continues to be awesome, drove to work today in freezing temps, rolled the window down on the way home just to hear the sound 😁. It just sounds insane up to 5k, I really can’t imagine how it will sound once I can really give it to it.

I was talking to Jud the other day and explained that I am expecting the power to flatten out after 5k, there is no way it pulls as hard from 5-7k, to my surprise he said it actually pulls harder! He also said the break in tune has the throttle detuned a bit. TBH I can’t imagine it pulling harder and won’t believe it until I experience it.

Last edited by bgoetz; 12-05-2022 at 09:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bgoetz:
jbkusa (12-05-2022), rdcyclist (05-15-2023), Scalp_em (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 06:38 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

I was talking to Jud the other day and explained that I am expecting the power to flatten out after 5k, there is no way it pulls as hard from 5-7k, to my surprise he said it actually pulls harder! He also said the break in tune has the throttle detuned a bit. TBH I can’t imagine it pulling harder and won’t believe it until I experience it.
That is insane isn’t it, I feel such a difference already, can’t wait to get through the break in process,but I am enjoying every second of it.

As for the tuning I had it done in house at FSI while my car was there. I will not have access to the tunes until after the break in, but I have 4 options controlled by a hand held device, a tune for 91 octane fuel for when traveling in areas that only offer 91 for premium, 93 standard tune, 93 spirited/ track day tune, and then another tune for higher octane race fuel track tune. I could choose 4 of the 6 available and those where the 4 I chose. One could also choose a Valet mode tune ( I would never Valet this car, don’t trust Valet tune or not) or one that completely shuts the car down and makes it immobile from what I understand ( if one was storing it long term and wanted this as another form of security)

I look forward to your feedback out of the break in period

Last edited by Scalp_em; 12-06-2022 at 06:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rdcyclist (05-15-2023)
Old 12-06-2022, 07:20 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

I will absolutely provide feedback as soon as I am to full power!!

Good to know on the tune options. I think we will do mine next week, all will be done remotely with me logging and sending them logs. Do you know how you change from tune to tune? I do valet my car from time to time, but the tune wouldn’t do me any good if I needed to tuner.

Last edited by bgoetz; 12-06-2022 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:15 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I will absolutely provide feedback as soon as I am to full power!!

Good to know on the tune options. I think we will do mine next week, all will be done remotely with me logging and sending them logs. Do you know how you change from tune to tune? I do valet my car from time to time, but the tune wouldn’t do me any good if I needed to tuner.
It’s a handheld that plugs into OBD II port Small enough to fit in the glove box. Valet mode I guess would be good too if you were storing it at an external place not at your residence or a mode to put in if you are away on business and have a teenage son lol

Last edited by Scalp_em; 12-06-2022 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:53 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Scalp_em
It’s a handheld that plugs into OBD II port Small enough to fit in the glove box. Valet mode I guess would be good too if you were storing it at an external place not at your residence or a mode to put in if you are away on business and have a teenage son lol
All great things to hear. You must have got one of the very last under the old program. I'm getting one of, if not the first, under the new exclusive program. Doing an R-series build. I think Jake has it all planned out, and due to lack of production of cranks, my build will be an R41. And I'll certainly be getting jakes "complete" system. (Subject to change on jakes discretion). basically the deal is to let Jake build what he wants, with whats available. Soooo excited. Of course a littler nervous because of the money... I just want a screamer. MY version of a GT3.

Cw
The following 2 users liked this post by cwheeler:
rdcyclist (05-15-2023), Scalp_em (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 10:44 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cwheeler
All great things to hear. You must have got one of the very last under the old program. I'm getting one of, if not the first, under the new exclusive program. Doing an R-series build. I think Jake has it all planned out, and due to lack of production of cranks, my build will be an R41. And I'll certainly be getting jakes "complete" system. (Subject to change on jakes discretion). basically the deal is to let Jake build what he wants, with whats available. Soooo excited. Of course a littler nervous because of the money... I just want a screamer. MY version of a GT3.

Cw
I think it will destroy a GT3 in every way. Hell I would be curious once my 4.0 setup has full power how it would compare to a 997.1 or even a 997.2. Certainly not the high revving .1, but the torque and smoothness is really crazy and I bet peak power is pretty similar.

I bet a 4.1 with his full system will sound absolutely insane! And the price, I think these builds are 100% worth the $. I bet that full system adds a good bit in terms of performance, had he had it out when I was going through the process it would have been hard to pass up.

Last edited by bgoetz; 12-06-2022 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:46 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scalp_em
good to know. I actually have the handheld already. I guess tossing it in the glovebox isn’t the end of the world.
Wrdoc (12-22-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 11:11 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,330 Posts

I enjoyed reading your experience.
My 996.2 is currently at FSI getting a Track Performer 4.0.(Elective build, no bore scoring!)
I also added all the performance/reliability add-ons except for the few items I already had. (I already had IPD/GT3 TB, Soul headers, Soul sport cats, Fabspeed Maxflow mufflers, center radiator, aluminum pipe, UAOS)
The engine has been completed (I've been enjoying the pictures the Jud supplies) and should be going back into my 996 soon.
I've been stuck driving a minivan while my 996 has been at FSI so I expect the difference will be even more shocking!
8KaboveMSL (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 09:56 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Well first drive with full juice and all I can say is “Holy ****”!!” It is freaking bonkers how fast it is and the sound is on a whole different level. It isn’t even the same car. Just unreal, I am honestly at a loss for how to describe it. I swapped a 200hp K20 into a 115hp civic 15yrs ago and it is really that same level of night and day difference except it sounds a million times better.

Last edited by bgoetz; 12-11-2022 at 09:58 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by bgoetz:
Bearrun21 (12-23-2022), jbkusa (12-11-2022), Kodos9865 (07-08-2023), TexSquirrel (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 10:35 PM
jonan
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Well first drive with full juice and all I can say is “Holy ****”!!” It is freaking bonkers how fast it is and the sound is on a whole different level. It isn’t even the same car. Just unreal, I am honestly at a loss for how to describe it. I swapped a 200hp K20 into a 115hp civic 15yrs ago and it is really that same level of night and day difference except it sounds a million times better.
Awesome mens! My FSI 4.0L on the 93 oct tune is fast enough to walk base model 3s and model S's...i couldnt believe it! I was heckin laughing my *** off like an idiot when i walked the same model three at two consecutive lights...he didn't even try on the third light

The following 2 users liked this post by jonan:
Scalp_em (12-12-2022), TexSquirrel (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 10:53 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jonan
Awesome mens! My FSI 4.0L on the 93 oct tune is fast enough to walk base model 3s and model S's...i couldnt believe it! I was heckin laughing my *** off like an idiot when i walked the same model three at two consecutive lights...he didn't even try on the third light
Yeah I was messing around and rolled on the throttle in 2nd coming around a corner that I would always previously put it to the floor around and it started fighting for traction. I have never had it fight for traction like that. I know the #s I hear thrown around by Jake are 420 crank hp, but he emphasizes he doesn’t care about max power it is everything in between. That 420 # seems very reasonable after this drive.
Scalp_em (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 10:58 PM
jonan
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah I was messing around and rolled on the throttle in 2nd coming around a corner that I would always previously put it to the floor around and it started fighting for traction. I have never had it fight for traction like that. I know the #s I hear thrown around by Jake are 420 crank hp, but he emphasizes he doesn’t care about max power it is everything in between. That 420 # seems very reasonable after this drive.
Its a torque monster...i cant wait to mate the engine to the x51 style airbox he's making
TexSquirrel (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 11:13 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jonan
Its a torque monster...i cant wait to mate the engine to the x51 style airbox he's making
That does look pretty cool, but I have too many other things I want 😂
Old 12-12-2022, 10:01 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

Awesome to hear. I have no doubt its amazing. I'm super excited for you. And cannot wait to get mine in the lab at FSI.

Quick Reply: Documenting My Flat 6 Innovations Build