Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting My Flat 6 Innovations Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 09:52 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Just to update, engine is on the way to FSI, it left Friday. I really cannot say enough about just how awesome the process is. I was super nervous about the shipping part, Jud tried to ease all of my concerns by explaining they only work with the best (even if that costs them more). Once I told Jud the engine was ready, he sent over the paperwork the same day, but I realized that evening everything had my home address and the engine is at my brother in-laws. No biggie Jud made the switch and had my new paperwork within hours.

My next worry was the truck, the drive is a long narrow gravel drive and getting a semi down seems impossible because they would need to back down. This is where Jud brought up the value in only working with the best and assured these drivers could make it happen. I wasn’t there to see the driver back down off the road, but it would have been a sight to see. By the time I got there she was at a turn in the driveway and didn’t want to go further in fear of messing up the grass. I assured her that it was ok that if she did I would be the one fixing it 😂. I think most drivers wouldn’t have even attempted to get down the drive and would have put it back on me, but to worry about the grass! She managed to not damage the grass, was super nice and loaded the engine and was gone.

So far the process has been great and while I have worried about some of the details, I really haven’t needed to. They really have it all figured out.

I will update once the engine is apart

Last edited by bgoetz; 05-15-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2022, 03:21 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

A bit past due for an update. Engine arrived safe and sound, FSI reached out via message the day it arrived. A couple weeks later the engine was apart and I had photos documenting the tear down. Looking at the pictures there wasn’t a lot of noticeable scoring, in fact I will say it looked better than I figured from when I scoped it. What I did notice was a decent amount of Ferrostan flaking on the pistons.

Talking with Jud it seems this was the likely culprit of my sound, the increased clearance created by the flaking. As far as stage of scoring, definitely a stage 1, but was heading towards getting worse. How much time I had is impossible to know, but the big takeaway is that piston slap can come very early in the process. Having only light scoring and very little wear metals making their way through the system should make my car an ideal candidate for the build and given current prices for their builds and lack of availability I am still very glad I made the decision.

One thing that I added was the starter cable, it was dumb of me to not add in the first place. Given the low cost and implications if it fails everyone should add the cable.
The following 2 users liked this post by bgoetz:
JustinCase (07-18-2022), sburke91 (07-16-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 11:37 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
A bit past due for an update. Engine arrived safe and sound, FSI reached out via message the day it arrived. A couple weeks later the engine was apart and I had photos documenting the tear down. Looking at the pictures there wasn’t a lot of noticeable scoring, in fact I will say it looked better than I figured from when I scoped it. What I did notice was a decent amount of Ferrostan flaking on the pistons.

Talking with Jud it seems this was the likely culprit of my sound, the increased clearance created by the flaking. As far as stage of scoring, definitely a stage 1, but was heading towards getting worse. How much time I had is impossible to know, but the big takeaway is that piston slap can come very early in the process. Having only light scoring and very little wear metals making their way through the system should make my car an ideal candidate for the build and given current prices for their builds and lack of availability I am still very glad I made the decision.

One thing that I added was the starter cable, it was dumb of me to not add in the first place. Given the low cost and implications if it fails everyone should add the cable.
Interesting you had the slap @ stage 1. Mine was broke down a couple weeks ago and I was stage 2, no slap but high oil consumption (~1qt/600 miles) and sooty pipes. I had scoring in both banks some cylinders very minor others were definitely scored. Good news was that everything else in good shape so no other collateral damage.
Im just glad the transformation is underway and I will never have to think about bore scoring again. The wait is definitely tough , the car being gone is the hardest part at least before I could still drive while waiting. Luckily my buddy has a Lotus Evora he lets me drive from time to time, but of course not the same. Bgoetz, I’m guessing that both our blocks are traveling together to and from LN for the Nickies
Old 10-13-2022, 09:03 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Engine has arrived home! The experience to this point has been beyond amazing. FSI communicated every step of the way, sending photos and updates. The shipping was super easy, engine arrived in great condition with zero issues. I will start the install process this weekend with the hope of getting it in by the end of next week as I won’t be able to focus big chunks of time until next weekend. Jud will be on the phone for the first startup and we will go through all of the checks from there I will try to put the 1st 1000 miles at which point FSI will unlock my ECU after that break in oil change. Can’t wait to get it up and running again!!

The following 12 users liked this post by bgoetz:
9 1 1 (10-14-2022), anewman (10-14-2022), flapjacksteve (10-14-2022), Hootsama (10-14-2022), JRBucks (10-15-2022), myw (10-14-2022), preelude (10-14-2022), rtl5009 (10-14-2022), sburke91 (10-14-2022), Sporty (10-14-2022), TerrestrialFlyte (10-13-2022), TheMurse (10-14-2022) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-14-2022, 02:01 PM
jonan
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Engine has arrived home! The experience to this point has been beyond amazing. FSI communicated every step of the way, sending photos and updates. The shipping was super easy, engine arrived in great condition with zero issues. I will start the install process this weekend with the hope of getting it in by the end of next week as I won’t be able to focus big chunks of time until next weekend. Jud will be on the phone for the first startup and we will go through all of the checks from there I will try to put the 1st 1000 miles at which point FSI will unlock my ECU after that break in oil change. Can’t wait to get it up and running again!!

Exciting! couple things i wish i did differently during the install
  • connect the fuel and SAI lines near expansion tank before motor is all the way up inside the engine bay
  • replaced starter while motor was out of the car
  • replaced the alternator/starter ground cable before installing motor
you're gonna LOVE that motor! those first 1100 miles were painful keeping it under 5000rpm on the break-in tune
Old 10-14-2022, 02:02 PM
jonan
Instructor

also, get a nice set of coolant hose picks...the IPD tube that connects to the airbox is a REALLY tight fit
Old 10-14-2022, 02:48 PM
preelude
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 118 Posts

That's a pretty sight!
Old 10-14-2022, 02:53 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 229 Posts

Congrats on everything so far. Very excited to hear about the break-in.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:06 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Took my time and got everything in, just ran into a couple of small snags that will delay 1st startup until Friday. Snag 1 busted a bolt to the transmission mount, it never felt right and wouldn’t torque then busted, fortunately it is an easy replacement. Snag 2 I lost one of the c-clips to the coolant lines and can’t bleed the coolant until I get it. Both parts will be here Wednesday, I will bleed the coolant and then Jud (FSI) and I will do a startup on Friday.

Lessons learned/tips:
  1. pay close attention to the transmission bolt orientation, there is a short one and if you put in the wrong size you could punch into the block.
  2. Put on the slave cylinder before you put the engine up, it is hard enough this way, it would be impossible with the engine up. You also have to open the bleed screw or at least I did.
  3. remove the two coolant hoses before installing, I pinched the one on the left and cut it, it was an $80 mistake.
  4. Having a book of torque specs would have been helpful, I spent a ton of time looking them up.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:12 PM
jonan
Instructor

Took my time and got everything in, just ran into a couple of small snags that will delay 1st startup until Friday. Snag 1 busted a bolt to the transmission mount, it never felt right and wouldn’t torque then busted, fortunately it is an easy replacement. Snag 2 I lost one of the c-clips to the coolant lines and can’t bleed the coolant until I get it. Both parts will be here Wednesday, I will bleed the coolant and then Jud (FSI) and I will do a startup on Friday.

Lessons learned/tips:
  1. pay close attention to the transmission bolt orientation, there is a short one and if you put in the wrong size you could punch into the block.
  2. Put on the slave cylinder before you put the engine up, it is hard enough this way, it would be impossible with the engine up. You also have to open the bleed screw or at least I did.
  3. remove the two coolant hoses before installing, I pinched the one on the left and cut it, it was an $80 mistake.
  4. Having a book of torque specs would have been helpful, I spent a ton of time looking them up.
i was ultra paranoid when i installed the bellhousing fasteners...i actually took plastic straws to measure the depth of each hole and cut the straws to size, then matched bolt lengths with straw lengths and numbered them all...didn't want to punch through the block with the wrong fastener...
Old 10-31-2022, 10:41 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jonan
i was ultra paranoid when i installed the bellhousing fasteners...i actually took plastic straws to measure the depth of each hole and cut the straws to size, then matched bolt lengths with straw lengths and numbered them all...didn't want to punch through the block with the wrong fastener...
Yeah there is only one that will get you and luckily I threaded them in by hand, questioned how that one bottomed out, and then stopped/checked.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:48 PM
jonan
Instructor

Yeah there is only one that will get you and luckily I threaded them in by hand, questioned how that one bottomed out, and then stopped/checked.
I must admit...im quite proud i pulled and reinstalled motor myself...you're gonna have that same satisfaction once you fire yours up friday.

I'd connect your battery to a tender now...Jud and i had to trouble shoot the first start...ended up oriellys sold me a dead battery so i had to delay my friday start till the next monday because i had to leave it on the tender overnight...i was pretty pissed about that as my plans were to do the 100 mile break-in that weekend
Old 10-31-2022, 11:18 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Already done and on the Tender 😁. I do have a PSM code and an AC voltage code that I think is just from the couple times turning the key to move the car around without anything hooked up. It kept coming right back when cleared, but if I recall the PSM actually has to be driven and should go away, maybe the AC is the same. I confirmed it is connected to power.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:26 PM
jonan
Instructor

Already done and on the Tender 😁. I do have a PSM code and an AC voltage code that I think is just from the couple times turning the key to move the car around without anything hooked up. It kept coming right back when cleared, but if I recall the PSM actually has to be driven and should go away, maybe the AC is the same. I confirmed it is connected to power.
Yep...pasm error will go away once you drive it...i thought i busted the suspension somehow when i pulled motor out 🤪
Old 11-04-2022, 10:36 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

It runs and is awesome! I only have put 25 miles on the car, but it is noticeably different. I am limited to 5k rpm and only gave it about 25% throttle because it felt like it would instantly hit the limiter if I gave it more. The most notable difference is how silky smooth it feels and sounds. Being an HPDE instructor I have driven/ridden in a ton of cars and nothing compares to how smooth this engine is. The closest thing was a E36 M3 with a built E46 motor, and that still wasn’t as smooth. I really can’t wait to get it past the 1k break in.

As for the last bits, Jake and Judd have been awesome, walking me through all steps of the tune and startup, Judd was on the phone for the first start. The last hurdle I had to get over was draining the fuel, they want fresh Shell with a can of sea foam for the 1st drive and I had 1/2 tank of old gas to drain. To drain it I popped the fuel line off under the car and cycled the fuel pump using a Durametric, there was a pretty good spray of fuel when I first popped the line off and my brother in law and I got nailed pretty good. After that it all went together and startup was perfect.

One thing i do need to look into is the shifting, I installed a Numeric shifter and it feels super stiff, like not in a good way. I was hoping for smooth flowy rifle bolt and it feels more like gummy rifle bolt. Maybe I have something wrong with the cables.

Last edited by bgoetz; 11-04-2022 at 11:43 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by bgoetz:
boisenelson (11-06-2022), cbredesen (11-05-2022), Scalp_em (11-06-2022), Sporty (11-05-2022), TerrestrialFlyte (11-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Documenting My Flat 6 Innovations Build