Documenting My Flat 6 Innovations Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 02:45 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I mandate OEM engine mounts only.
But the RSS look so nice. Can I take a sharpie and write FSI on the top of the OEM 😂?
The following users liked this post:
Snakebit (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 02:54 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's YOUR Porsche. (I dare ya)
Old 11-24-2021, 11:30 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

To say I am excited about getting my engine out and off to Jake is an understatement. My car is very much drivable and with an oil change the sound has gone away, although I fully expect it to return with time. At this point though I don’t care if Jake determines I could have gotten years out of my motor, I am all in on getting an FSI build!

Occasionally, I will shoot Jake a question and am always beyond impressed at how quickly he responds and how he really has everything beyond covered. I think I am still of the mindset that this is just any typical builder building me an engine and the reality it isn’t and the level of thoroughness is what sets FSI apart.

One example is, there has been a lot of discussion on fueling issues and the need to replace injectors. I had not seen injectors discussed in my agreement so I was curious how those would be addressed and asked. Jake’s reply:

We already have a new set injectors in your bin for the build. I had to buy a set of equipment to test brand new injectors, and we are seeing a 20% failure rate with these.
Yours have already been tested, and confirmed to be 100% in spray pattern, leakage, volume, and have been tested at 4 different pressure points..”

I would venture a guess that most builders are not going to this level 7 months before they are to receive the customers engine none the less!

Last edited by bgoetz; 11-24-2021 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:12 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I would venture a guess that most builders are not going to this level 7 months before they are to receive the customers engine none the less!
We have no choice. I have every proposed part, for every engine (except 3 sets of custom cams for (R- Series engines) in hand through 2022. This means that currently I have everything on- hand, and in the customer's bins through December of 2022, more than 1 year ahead of scheduled completion. At times I had parts for 19 months ahead of scheduled builds.

As soon as C19 hit we went into hyper- drive, and acted with vigor to get every part we needed through 2021 proposed builds, all of which were already sold. I maintained that level of pursuit, sourcing every part possible, so we would not be making excuses like everyone else has. The result has been 100% on- time deliveries with every engine since Covid hit, and some of them were 2 weeks early. I worked every day even when I was sick with Covid, and no one even knew it.

Hell, I even held a scheduled zoom meeting with all my 2022 purchasers while I was still Covid positive, and didn't tell anyone till the end of the meeting when I threw up my + test results from that morning. I could do this because I isolated myself from the rest of the crew completely when Covid became a thing, it was part of creating stand alone working stations for each crew member with no personal interaction in any capacity. I did this so if someone got sick, there's no way it could spread and take the whole crew out of action. This was effective, and due to these measures we've not given any excuses to anyone about being late, or leaving jobs incomplete. You will not find that anywhere else, and it certainly not what is being experienced in the circles associated with these engines from other providers. This is partly due to the fact that we took all the parts from the other guys while they were asleep at the wheel, and I maintain dominance through aggressive acquisitions that at times have required buying vehicles abroad just so I could pack them with M9X parts, add them to the bill of lading, and use these vehicles as shipping containers just so we could get the parts. Importers stopped being effective, and there were more parts available in local parts houses in Europe and Asia than the importers here in the USA had. Until you have bought a vehicle that you didn't even want, just so you could acquire parts, you haven't lived a life like mine.. There are no shipping containers to be had, so RORO vehicle shipping gave us an edge that no one else thought about. Now we've depleted everything abroad, so I can share how I was able to do this without fear.

I opened sales up for 2023 Q1 M9X completions 4 weeks ago, and held a webinar for that engine program. This resulted in 22 requests for a welcome package, of which I accepted 19 of the builds. We had parts in hand, or on dedicated allocation for around 24 engines, so that took care of Q1 2023. Of the 19 I accepted, I had 3 guys flake out once the proposal was in their hands, so that perfectly booked Q1 as far as M9X builds went. The rest of 2023 will be dedicated to aircooled and 9a1 builds with a few 996/997/991 turbos in the mix, but I probably have enough remaining parts to get us through Q2 M9X builds, and I'll have a webinar about that program in mid- January 2022. I already have 12 names on the wait list for this webinar, but parts are not being manufactured, and likely won't be, so the line will be tagged at some point. We are spearheading more manufacturing of USA made components, and LN has added even more machines to their arsenal this year, so we don't need the OEM support or supply chain. I am handling each quarter like a whole new program, as prices go up, and supply goes down. This way things are more work, but we don't get caught with our pants down, like we would if I were only making annual program changes in regard to parts inclusions, and prices.

It has been my goal to utilize Covid as a tool, and I did this as soon as I saw the first impacts. Why? Because even in chaos lies opportunity. You just have to be crazy enough to do what the other guy doesn't. They are too lazy, and lack the crazy. This has been, and will continue to be their downfall~

Lots of people that didn't choose my program "because it took a long time" still don't have their car more than a year after the delivery date was missed by the other guy. They were told what they wanted to hear, and their decision bit them in the ***. These people have slowly started to come to me looking for a bail out, but they screwed themselves, and even if I could help them- I wouldn't.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 11-24-2021 at 12:38 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
997Fanatic997 (11-25-2021), ahyiah (01-07-2022), bgoetz (11-24-2021), gcbpt (03-15-2022), Hootsama (11-24-2021), IrwinMFletcher (11-25-2021), Kodos9865 (07-08-2023), myw (11-26-2021), Porleau (12-02-2021), propchef (11-25-2021), rdcyclist (12-12-2022), sburke91 (11-26-2021), Scalp_em (11-24-2021), Sporty (11-26-2021) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-24-2021, 08:43 PM
997Fanatic997
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 45 Posts

Fascinating reply from Flat6 right there.
The following 2 users liked this post by 997Fanatic997:
rdcyclist (12-12-2022), tegraphile (11-29-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 10:39 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nealvaughan
Fascinating reply from Flat6 right there.

The whole process is fascinating
Old 11-25-2021, 04:58 PM
997Fanatic997
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
The whole process is fascinating
Agree, and I found your original post to be a great read. Will be following this one.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:26 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 296 Posts

Not only a very good engine builder but a very good businessman - rare combination
Floyd540 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 04:09 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

For those of you that have been waiting out for the ((BIG)) discount, LN Engineering is offering a BLACK FRIDAY 50% off sale on Jake Raby's Focus On: M9X Engine Assembly series.

Here's the link:

https://lnengineering.com/education/...embly-dvd.html
Old 11-26-2021, 05:04 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Really interesting thread, thank you for documenting. Can you say more about Jake's feedback and removal recommendation on the modificationa? You mentioned the grill covers, motor mounts, and intake were all required to be removed. Any additional details on reasoning? Curious on his feedback.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:23 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Really interesting thread, thank you for documenting. Can you say more about Jake's feedback and removal recommendation on the modificationa? You mentioned the grill covers, motor mounts, and intake were all required to be removed. Any additional details on reasoning? Curious on his feedback.
Easy answer:
Those items are not authorized for use with my engines.
You will find videos on the topics of the engine mounts, and grille covers on our Rennvision YouTube channel.

As a developer it is my job to understand all the dynamics associated with sub- systems that can impact my engine. In my welcome package I specifically ask about some sub- system items, and identify them before I even accept the job. If the things are not authorized, they must either agree to omit the aftermarket items, or I will not accept the job. I don't argue about reasoning, and I am not flexible on my feelings. Some people don't like that, and they find the guy who is easier to deal with, has lower standards, and will use anything they want.

People buy more than an engine from me, the priceless aspect of the purchase comes in the form of what not to do, based on the thousands of engines that came before theirs. Not all aftermarket items are bad, in this case the owner can sell all of his on eBay and they will sell instantly to those who haven't learned what I have about them (yet).
gcbpt (03-15-2022)
Old 11-27-2021, 11:51 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 296 Posts

So, the front radiator mesh grill covers that are used to keep debris out of the radiators is what is a no-no (vs the engine lid grill?) Interesting, I guess they impede the air flow/cooling capability more than the random debris that would otherwise clog the radiators (?)
Old 11-27-2021, 01:08 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Sporty
So, the front radiator mesh grill covers that are used to keep debris out of the radiators is what is a no-no (vs the engine lid grill?) Interesting, I guess they impede the air flow/cooling capability more than the random debris that would otherwise clog the radiators (?)
Here those are referred to as diffusers, and get thrown in the garbage, or ran over with either a tank, or a bulldozer.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:04 PM
Chalkboss
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 115 Posts

I am curious as to why the "diffusers" are a bad idea. Is it just that they impede air flow?
Old 11-28-2021, 03:08 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Chalkboss
I am curious as to why the "diffusers" are a bad idea. Is it just that they impede air flow?
There's no "just" to that statement. Anything that diffuses, or interrupts airflow into the radiators has been proven (in my direct experience) to make a negative on coolant and oil temperatures.
All it took was two laps and 50 miles on the road with a 16 channel stand alone data logger to determine this, with both stock and modified engines. The factory left these inlets open for a reason, and while not everything the factory did with these cars is smart, this one is.
Guess what? the radiators still get dirty even with the grilles in place. We remove the bumper and clean radiators in every car that we prepare an engine for. There are no positives from these, except they make the owner feel like they've out smarted the factory.

Quick Reply: Documenting My Flat 6 Innovations Build