Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New use for the (useless) Sport Chrono clock

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 02:40 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

Great job, it's this kind of stuff that brings me back to Rennlist every day.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
Henrik964 (12-22-2021), Murphey997 (12-24-2021)
Old 06-14-2020, 02:44 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 227 Posts

Thanks for all the nice remarks, I take it that it definitely doesn't look "ricey".
I would have preferred to use a color display so I that I could change the gauge colors to red when temps are too high, but I yet haven't found one that would fit into the VDO housing (and comes with nice looking fonts).
About productizing it: As I mentioned in my post, there's a CAN plug that plugs right into the Sport Chrono watch. IF that plug had carried PIDs 0x441 (Oil temp) and 0x245 (coolant temp), I would have been able to make a truly plug & play solution (total swap in less than 30 minutes)
BUT unfortunately that's not the case. Which means that I needed to route 4 wires (switched 12V and ground plus the two CAN wires) down to the area next to the fuse panel (it's a pain in the (lower) back, but can be done), but then I had to splice into the wires for the CAN bus, which is not for the faint of heart and that's where plug&play came to a screeching halt.

However if anyone wants to try it themselves, I happily share the parts list and the Arduino code.
The following users liked this post:
dxrohanx (01-23-2024)
Old 06-14-2020, 03:05 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Very cool. Without taking the thread sideways, what should we know about oil temp gauge vs actual temp? I understand h20 temp gauge reading is intentionally "smoothed", but is the oil temp not considered accurate, or just in some cars or situations it isn't?
Old 06-14-2020, 03:40 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Dude, can't wait, I miss you man!
Likewise. I've been lucky that biz has been good and keeping me busy. Although, it's different working from home for sure.
It took me weeks just to get a system up and running. Things are settled into a routine again but for awhile there days just ran together.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:46 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

...What I saw when comparing the readings from the AIM vs. the analog gauges, was that the analog gauges in my car show up to 20 degree higher than actual.
Interesting.

I see Cloudspin also saw the same deltas: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13638065

Karl.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:11 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,877 Likes on 2,884 Posts

Great idea.
I bought a 24hr clock to go in place of the Sport Chrono CLock.
Haven't installed it yet
Old 06-14-2020, 08:16 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,696 Likes on 645 Posts

... IF that plug had carried PIDs 0x441 (Oil temp) and 0x245 (coolant temp), I would have been able to make a truly plug & play solution (total swap in less than 30 minutes) ...
Any idea if the CAN plug for the SC carries any clock timing though?
Fitting a later year Macan or similar actual clock, would be a good option for us street folks.
But, it would need a timing signal, as it does have a manual setting ability, and I assume gets its signal from the CAN bus.

That is, if that silly second hand doesn't fall off...
Thanks for any tips!
Old 06-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I used to use Arduino controllers for quad copters, back in the days when you had to build your own, before they became hot consumer products. I never would have thought of using one in this manner. Really cool!
Old 06-15-2020, 02:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

What do you guys think? Good? Bad? Ricer?
Impressive. Porsche has had a decade and a half now to make something useful out of this gauge that they surely must be aware is considered useless by most but have left it useless. Long shot and may be too late with your detailed description but consider getting a patent on this reconfiguration. Not that Porsche doesn't have smart engineers but you beat them to it coming up with a useful version of it. Unless they think the timer is just fine and they have a number of solutions like yours just sitting around.

So again, a long shot that Porsche would probably find a way around but just something I couldn't get out of my head. Probably because a friend of mine got a patent on a somewhat similar reconfiguration but on a completely unrelated item. Wasn't easy but a fight worth fighting. A gift that keeps on giving for as long as you're alive.

In the language of the statute, any person who “invents or discovers any new and useful process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof, may obtain a patent,”
https://www.uspto.gov/patents-gettin...ents#heading-4

Edgy01 (11-20-2022)
Old 06-15-2020, 06:51 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Any idea if the CAN plug for the SC carries any clock timing though?
Fitting a later year Macan or similar actual clock, would be a good option for us street folks.
But, it would need a timing signal, as it does have a manual setting ability, and I assume gets its signal from the CAN bus.

That is, if that silly second hand doesn't fall off...
Thanks for any tips!
I am only guessing here. But I don;t think that such a signal exists in a 997. The only clock in the car (the one in the cluster) is set manually, so there wouldn't be any need for the engineers to provide that signal.
The signals to the SportChrono clock are basically: start/stop/reset
Old 06-15-2020, 08:34 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,696 Likes on 645 Posts

I am only guessing here. But I don;t think that such a signal exists in a 997. The only clock in the car (the one in the cluster) is set manually, so there wouldn't be any need for the engineers to provide that signal. The signals to the SportChrono clock are basically: start/stop/reset
I'd come to the same conclusion too.
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2020, 10:10 PM
Nero_tDriveway
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm absolutely impressed! Very good use of the clock!
Old 06-15-2020, 10:44 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I am only guessing here. But I don;t think that such a signal exists in a 997. The only clock in the car (the one in the cluster) is set manually, so there wouldn't be any need for the engineers to provide that signal.
Not quite right - the PCM and cluster do communicate time between each other, so there must be a time signal in the CAN bus. You can set the time on the cluster and the PCM will update and vice versa.

Your gauge above looks fantastic!!
Old 06-16-2020, 07:49 PM
Bradinthe56
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Great Project

I love the work, and accurate reading to boot. See...there is something good that comes from this COVID thing!
Hatzenbach (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 04:23 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Not quite right. Keep in mind that navigation equipped cars get a timing (clock) signal from the GPS constellation and that signal is parsed out and to the clock.

Quick Reply: New use for the (useless) Sport Chrono clock