Sponsored by:

New use for the (useless) Sport Chrono clock

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 11:25 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 234 Posts

and here is how the whole project looks in the car

as an additional quirk&feature, when the car is turned on the clock will move it's hands from the 12 o'clock position to the actual time, just like the analog version

The following 8 users liked this post by Hatzenbach:
anewman (02-27-2022), BLU997 (03-01-2022), cbracerx (02-27-2022), dxrohanx (01-23-2024), frederickcook87 (03-02-2022), irnnr (03-24-2022), jfischet (02-27-2022), peladex (03-01-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2022, 02:02 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Bravo! Great project. Short of removing my 997 wart, I would like to get real info from it. On my 987 I converted to a real oil pressure gauge. Put me in line for your “DIY. parts kit - version 2.0”
Looks good! What gauge is this? I’d love to replace my auto meter gauge
Old 02-27-2022, 02:12 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,924 Likes on 2,912 Posts

Great idea and write up - I bought replacement clock almost 2 years ago just after OP posted this thread and I owned my 2007 C4S.
Never did the swap sold the C4S, bought 2007 997S never did swap, sold that car and now have my 2006 C4.

Long story short my Clock is now in the hands of fellow member Kellen (for his 2009 C4S) as a partial thanks for installing my new HVAC TEMP/FAN buttons & my Bluetooth for PCM.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:49 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by monochrom3
Looks good! What gauge is this? I’d love to replace my auto meter gauge
https://www.autometer.com/gauges/spek-black.html
The following users liked this post:
monochrom3 (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 02:56 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
and here is how the whole project looks in the car

as an additional quirk&feature, when the car is turned on the clock will move it's hands from the 12 o'clock position to the actual time, just like the analog version

REALLY looks good. Excellent job. Now get that parts kit together for us lazy folks to take advantage of.
The following 5 users liked this post by cbracerx:
emjohn43 (02-28-2022), frederickcook87 (03-02-2022), Hella-Buggin' (02-27-2022), RockyTop (02-27-2022), Wayne Smith (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 03:34 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,213 Likes on 777 Posts

What cbracerx said. I'll get in line for one!!!
Old 02-27-2022, 04:31 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

OK, I am starting to think I could make a couple of those, but there are a couple problems and two showstoppers:

a) Problems:
- you need to tap into the CAN bus, as far as I know you can't get the data from the OBDII port
- I still need to work out a few kinks, at the moment I am chasing a problem where the digits randomly start to flicker
- you can NOT use the Sport Chrono menu in the cluster to make any adjustments. The car detects that there is no Sport Chrono clock and shuts down this channel
so the way it currently works is that as long as neither Sport/SportPlus/PASM is activated you get the clock, otherwise you get the gauge
the little CPU in my Arduino is also a bit overwhelmed by the amount of data it gets and is sometimes a little slow to switch between these two modes
- so far I only know it works on 997.2, I need to try it on 997.1 @Hella-Buggin' next time I come visit can we try it?

b) Showstoppers
- at the moment I am getting the time of day, when I start the car by logging into my WiFi at home and then sync to an internet time server, and then store it in a "real time clock". That obviously won't work for anyone else ;-)
I am still trying to figure out how to read the time from the CAN bus, see here (last post): https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-2-a.html
- I need to find someone who knows how to 3D print. At the moment I am cannibalizing a perfectly good VDO gauge as housing for my gauge in the Sport Chrono housing.
This is a waste of a perfectly good device and quite frankly it's a pain in the a** to modify the VDO gauge
It should be fairly easy to 3D print the housing - for someone who knows how to do that (and that's not me)
frederickcook87 (03-02-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 05:10 PM
emjohn43
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

When you get a kit ready, I'd be interested in purchasing one. No problems tapping into the CANBUS from me.

Nice job!!
Old 03-02-2022, 12:19 PM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ..

Once you have the current setup finalized what’s the chances of customizing?
I’d like coolant temp and intake air temp displayed
Old 03-02-2022, 10:49 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frederickcook87
Once you have the current setup finalized what’s the chances of customizing?
I’d like coolant temp and intake air temp displayed
They are not very good.
I am 100% sure that all this data is somewhere available on the CAN Bus, BUT...
Let's do a small (very simplified) introduction to the CAN bus:
different modules communicate with each other by sending a message over a pair of twisted wires.
These messages have 9 "containers"
- the first one has the unique identifier for the message (the PID)
- the other 8 one contain the data
For example: 1089 0 0 0 0 0 100 0 0
message id 1089 is for the oil temperature
and in order to get the actual temperature you need the value in the 7th container and now you need the formula which is: temp (in Fahrenheit) = (x – 60) * 9/5 + 32

Ok, cumbersome but easy?
Not really, because there is no standard for this (every manufacturer has it's own code, and worse when they there is a new ECU, you're back to square 1)
And - you probably guessed it already - Porsche does not make any of that public.
So there are a few people who a trying to decipher these messages
I found a few codes on the internet and figured a few out myself, the collected knowledge can be found here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-2-a.html
However, intake air temp is not among the decrypted CAN messages, so your chances are very slim
The following 2 users liked this post by Hatzenbach:
frederickcook87 (03-03-2022), Wayne Smith (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 01:54 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,213 Likes on 777 Posts

While the CANBus works on a well documented set of rules setting priorities for one computer vs another so cross talk is avoided, it's the wild west regarding how manufacturers define who is who and what they are saying. And manufacturers are secretive!!! Add a computer like the PDK TCU that doesn't exist in the MT and things get further shuffled.

Something I learned earlier today from this thread is that the CANBus isn't the same within the car ... it was stated that the OBD II connector did not have all the data. Now how does the bus filter out specific data to one node and not another?

More questions than answers, at least for me. I spent over 40 years doing machine code. I admire anyone who is willing to get their feet wet on the CANBus.
frederickcook87 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 09:46 AM
frederickcook87
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Default .

Cool Beams, I’ll keep this setup (although I prefer a cleaner looking setup like having the info in the SC pod)…

I can pull actual coolant temp and iat from the obd2 port

Hatzenbach (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 12:37 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Something I learned earlier today from this thread is that the CANBus isn't the same within the car ... it was stated that the OBD II connector did not have all the data. Now how does the bus filter out specific data to one node and not another?.
It's called a CAN bus Gateway
A CAN bus is just like an (old analog) phone line where a lot of parties talk at the same time (and all of them talk a lot) and everyone's very eager to get their information on the bus as soon as possible.
When there are too many parties talking or too many messages exchanged the CAN bus would get overloaded and information would get lost or not arrive on time.
So there are these gateways (you could also call them filters) that restrict certain messages to certain parts of the CAN bus network.
Think of it like this: The PCM does not need to know about valve timing. And the engine control module does not need to know if the lights are on or off.
And Porsche does not want you to have access to certain information via the OBDII plug ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Hatzenbach:
frederickcook87 (03-03-2022), Wayne Smith (03-03-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 10:46 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi
I have a 2011 Cayenne Turbo with Nav and sport mode/ (no sport+ in 2011)
I spent a bit of time adding the clock to my dash, but in short order, my second hand broke, and during a search for a boost, clock combo gauge, google brought me here.
I can solder, and I know how to load an Adreno, but I can't code or program past a few minor changes in pre-exciting code.
I'm willing to build this and tap into my can-bus, but could you help me with the code?
My son does our 3D printing, so I may be able to add something to the project in that regard.
I also have a PIWIS II and three clone. I've been trying to activate Sport+ mode in my car (I installed the correct buttons), but other than enabling things like Sport Chrono with my Digon V, I haven't been successful in getting the button to work.
(not sure if that's germane to this project, but I thought I'd mention it)
You said one sticking point about the car knowing the Chrono was missing.
The DIY for adding a clock in the Cayenne has you tap into the can-bus at the radio for the clock signal. My idea was to relocate it behind the radio or into the glove box, so the car still sees it.
Oh, I also outfitted my pig with LTE 4G, wireless Carplay, and Android Auto so the LTE could possibly work around your time server issues as well.
Let me know if you can help!
Thanks
Jim
Old 05-19-2022, 11:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,621 Likes on 4,209 Posts

Originally Posted by TMC.
Hi
I have a 2011 Cayenne Turbo with Nav and sport mode/ (no sport+ in 2011)
I spent a bit of time adding the clock to my dash, but in short order, my second hand broke, and during a search for a boost, clock combo gauge, google brought me here.
I can solder, and I know how to load an Adreno, but I can't code or program past a few minor changes in pre-exciting code.
I'm willing to build this and tap into my can-bus, but could you help me with the code?
My son does our 3D printing, so I may be able to add something to the project in that regard.
I also have a PIWIS II and three clone. I've been trying to activate Sport+ mode in my car (I installed the correct buttons), but other than enabling things like Sport Chrono with my Digon V, I haven't been successful in getting the button to work.
(not sure if that's germane to this project, but I thought I'd mention it)
You said one sticking point about the car knowing the Chrono was missing.
The DIY for adding a clock in the Cayenne has you tap into the can-bus at the radio for the clock signal. My idea was to relocate it behind the radio or into the glove box, so the car still sees it.
Oh, I also outfitted my pig with LTE 4G, wireless Carplay, and Android Auto so the LTE could possibly work around your time server issues as well.
Let me know if you can help!
Thanks
Jim
See if p3cars offers a vent gauge for your model Cayenne. I put one into my 957 Turbo S and it works well.
TMC. (05-19-2022)

Quick Reply: New use for the (useless) Sport Chrono clock