Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 06:25 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I feel your pain - we've had numerous customers come to us in Georgia to get the sensor replaced (several from CA). Some ended up needing or wanting more work (PDK clutches/full trans rebuild/wiring troubleshooting) but ALL needed the sensor replaced. We have had cars with high miles, low miles, heavy track use, no track use etc so there doesn't seem to be a common usage pattern, but certainly the track seems to exacerbate the issue. Let us know if we can help, we're well versed in these issues.

Originally Posted by Randy90266
Absent buying a “new” PDK, the only option is finding an indy that is willing to take apart a PDK after I find a part that may or may not exist. My indy is unwilling to touch it at this point, and I do not have the knowledge, ability, tools or space to do something like this myself.

My question for anyone that cares to opine is: What would you do? Ship from CA to GA for a rebuild, source the part locally and find an indy willing to do the work, or bite the bullet and order a remanufactured PDK from Porsche, a PDK that represents fully a third of the car's value. I hate chasing a solution, but in this case it seems like my only option. If there is a shop anywhere in Southern California that will work on this, please let me know. I will get my car there 22 miles at a time. Anyone have experience with europeantransmissions.com? A local, SoCal shop willing to do the work would be a dream, but I don’t know that one exists…yet.

One final note: My indy only services Porsches and has been doing so for a long time. He has seen three PDK issues…ever. A ’09 Boxster early on and two last week, including mine. I have a gut feeling that a lot of people are going to end up reading this thread, looking for solutions. I've wanted a Porsche since I was in third grade and was finally able to afford one in 1996, a first model year Boxster. From there I traded up to a '03 996 and then to my current 991. I figured I would be driving some flavor of Porsche until the day I died, but having read through this thread, my next/last car may very well be something other than a Porsche. How disappointing that a company will not sell the parts or provide instructions when a $100 part would likely solve a $20k problem.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

The following users liked this post:
irnnr (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 06:38 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

If PV997 is right, and I have every reason to believe he is, I’m looking at replacement of the gear shift rod position sensor inside the gearbox. My indy 100% agrees. LN Engineering made a replacement, but as of this writing, it is no longer listed on their website. Looks like there are other suppliers out of China (~$2-2.5k if available-ouch). I also found Europeantransmissions.com, based out of Cumming, GA that offers a complete rebuild for $6,850 + shipping, 1-year warranty/unlimited miles. Lastly, Tony Callas is poking around PDK repairs but has not yet committed to offering a fix. That said, I do plan to grovel/beg him to take a chance on mine if I cannot find another solution.
Ahem, looks like you missed the first and best option, well discussed in this thread: T-Design was the first to develop new sensor, our sensor is being installed now second year in a row, it has spotless trackrecord, made in USA, and cost less than $2k. We also have a network of experienced installers, that you can find on the map on our site
http://t-design9.com/porsche_PDK_dis...on_sensor.html

Please PM or email vlad@t-design9.com for more info
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 02-14-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:46 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,448 Likes on 913 Posts

Randy90266- First, I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Like you, I am disappointed with Porsche on how they are treating its enthusiasts community on this issue. I have been following this thread and PV997s excellent work since the beginning. You ask what I would do in your shoes? I would send my car to Frank Beck in AZ, Todd Lamb in GA, PTech in FL or LMN Motorsports in VA and have them install the TDesign distance sensor. If you read this thread, you will see that others in your same predicament have used one of these four indie shops and reported good results. I am not affiliated or connected with any of these shops. But, that is what I would do……..And write a nasty letter to PCNA. Best wishes.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:31 PM
Randy90266
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Beck's to the rescue

I emailed Beck's European in Scottsdale, describing my problem. They do repair PDKs and replace the distance/displacement sensor with one made by T-Design! Their response posted here: https://beckseuropean.com/porsche-pd...ailure-solved/. I will update once I get the estimated cost.
The following 2 users liked this post by Randy90266:
irnnr (02-14-2022), Rfjohnson (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 08:40 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 203 Posts

Right in my back yard!
https://beckseuropean.com/makes/porsche/
Rfjohnson (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 11:19 PM
Randy90266
AutoX

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Randy90266- First, I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Like you, I am disappointed with Porsche on how they are treating its enthusiasts community on this issue. I have been following this thread and PV997s excellent work since the beginning. You ask what I would do in your shoes? I would send my car to Frank Beck in AZ, Todd Lamb in GA, PTech in FL or LMN Motorsports in VA and have them install the TDesign distance sensor. If you read this thread, you will see that others in your same predicament have used one of these four indie shops and reported good results. I am not affiliated or connected with any of these shops. But, that is what I would do……..And write a nasty letter to PCNA. Best wishes.
Thank you for the advice. I have already reached out to Beck's and plan to take my car there.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:55 PM
Randy90266
AutoX

Originally Posted by toddlamb
I feel your pain - we've had numerous customers come to us in Georgia to get the sensor replaced (several from CA). Some ended up needing or wanting more work (PDK clutches/full trans rebuild/wiring troubleshooting) but ALL needed the sensor replaced. We have had cars with high miles, low miles, heavy track use, no track use etc so there doesn't seem to be a common usage pattern, but certainly the track seems to exacerbate the issue. Let us know if we can help, we're well versed in these issues.
Todd: I appreciate your feedback and offer of assistance. Looks like Beck's is closest to me and well regarded, so off to Arizona she goes.
Rfjohnson (02-14-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 12:23 AM
Randy90266
AutoX

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Never let a bad mood go to waste. My letter to PCNA is already drafted.
Noah Fect (02-15-2022)
Old 02-15-2022, 01:08 AM
Randy90266
AutoX

Originally Posted by Rfjohnson
@Randy90266 I shipped my 997.2 from IL to PHX which is kind of close to you. See my entry in this thread. Vlad with TDesign sells the sensor to the shop of your choosing. I selected Frank Beck with Becks European. Fantastic shop and exceptional outcome. I had a p1731 code. Cousin to yours. Call Frank and he will give you honest talk. No obligation. I have no connection with Becks other than what appears on this forum. PM me if you want to discuss.
Evidently, I haven't posted enough to merit PM privileges. My car will very likely end up at Beck's, with the start of work coinciding with the opening day of spring training. Happy to hear your repair went well.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:22 AM
Randy90266
AutoX

Originally Posted by PV997
In regards to repairing the distance sensor, it very well could use something as simple as this part:

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/drv5057.pdf?ts=1594394309677

This is a simple three lead chip which has a Hall-effect linear distance sensor and an integrated PWM converter. You can buy the automotive-grade version of these for $3.05 each from Digikey with zero lead time.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=DRV5057A4EDBZRQ1&v=296

So we go from a Porsche remanufactured $14k transmission, to a Chinese remanufactured $900 distance sensor assembly, to a new replacement $3 component. If anyone has an old distance sensor assembly please let me know, let's open it up!
I'm about to replace mine and will ask for my old sensor. I'm just down the hill from you and would be happy donate it to the cause.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:41 AM
notfastenough
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Evidently, I haven't posted enough to merit PM privileges. My car will very likely end up at Beck's, with the start of work coinciding with the opening day of spring training. Happy to hear your repair went well.
Randy,

Look for an email from us.
Spring training at Salt River Fields is 5 miles down the road from our shop. Opening day? Unfortunately that won't happen as we're scheduling 2-3 weeks from now. The sooner you schedule, the better.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 02-16-2022, 09:38 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,706 Likes on 650 Posts

I'm about to replace mine and will ask for my old sensor. I'm just down the hill from you and would be happy donate it to the cause.

Ditto, and PMs open.

But, be aware though this is a potted component and it may yet take a number of used parts to reverse engineer, as destroying some of the potted components is more than likely the first result.
T-Design have obviously reverse engineered similar, but have chosen to mill a new carrier element, adding complete newly engineered Hall effect sensor and calibrated interface to the car.

But, to the wonderment of Porsche, we can never stop tinkering...
The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
ask (03-05-2022), irnnr (02-16-2022), notfastenough (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 10:02 PM
indodingo
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Goodwill update

Originally Posted by PV997
Thanks for the update and please keep us posted on how it goes. Good luck with the goodwill but I wouldn't get my hopes up based on the experience of others.

We really don't understand how that seal before the breather works but I'd keep an eye out for fluid intermix. If it is happening it's likely from the clutch fluid side to the gearbox since the hydraulic fluid is under pressure and the gear oil isn't. If you start having harsh shifting you may want to check your fluid levels.

I'm no expert on gear oil but it seems like a small amount of clutch fluid in the gear oil is probably not terribly harmful unless it becomes excessive.
PAG from germany has just replied to the dealer regarding goodwill warranty claim

The leak from breather hole as per service bulletin requires...you guessed it...whole PDK replacement

Considering the car is barely 5 years old and below 15.000 miles, PAG has agreed to honor the goodwill by covering 80% cost of new PDK...which translate to USD 3500 on the current exchange rate,

However it stipulates the car to do one major service at the dealer (USD 1500 approx) and the PDK installation and programming cost shall be borne by owner (USD 700)

Considering all the odd, the new PDK will have its own 4 year warranty under the condition I'd say farewell to my indy mech and be faithful to porsche service centre

Overall not a bad outcome just a slight dent in the accounts
However, how a 12,000 mile 2017 Porsche end up with oil leaking out of PDK breather hole still bothers my mind and certainly will affect my decision regarding futher porsche ownership in the future...by the way...BMW new B/S58 engines with its - surely less troublesome than porshce ZF PDK tranny - is an awesome combo)

Last edited by indodingo; 02-16-2022 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Adding comment
Old 02-18-2022, 06:13 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by indodingo
PAG from germany has just replied to the dealer regarding goodwill warranty claim

The leak from breather hole as per service bulletin requires...you guessed it...whole PDK replacement

Considering the car is barely 5 years old and below 15.000 miles, PAG has agreed to honor the goodwill by covering 80% cost of new PDK...which translate to USD 3500 on the current exchange rate,

However it stipulates the car to do one major service at the dealer (USD 1500 approx) and the PDK installation and programming cost shall be borne by owner (USD 700)

Considering all the odd, the new PDK will have its own 4 year warranty under the condition I'd say farewell to my indy mech and be faithful to porsche service centre

Overall not a bad outcome just a slight dent in the accounts
However, how a 12,000 mile 2017 Porsche end up with oil leaking out of PDK breather hole still bothers my mind and certainly will affect my decision regarding futher porsche ownership in the future...by the way...BMW new B/S58 engines with its - surely less troublesome than porshce ZF PDK tranny - is an awesome combo)
Wow, good news on the goodwill! I didn't realize the car was a 2017 as most of those posting here tend to have older cars. I have only heard of one other car leaking at that same location and it was a 997.2 (2010 I think) so I don't think it's that common, but you are right in that it's concerning, particularly for such low miles. Thanks for the update.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:30 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko

Ditto, and PMs open.

But, be aware though this is a potted component and it may yet take a number of used parts to reverse engineer, as destroying some of the potted components is more than likely the first result.
T-Design have obviously reverse engineered similar, but have chosen to mill a new carrier element, adding complete newly engineered Hall effect sensor and calibrated interface to the car.

But, to the wonderment of Porsche, we can never stop tinkering...
It's not worth it to open the unit to reverse engineer it IMO, as it uses an obsolete design (probably dating from ~2007). The factory part has four inductive pick-up coils with a fairly complex support circuitry and it doesn't make any sense to copy it directly. They probably used this approach as it's pretty stable over temperature and the best they had back then, but it's not needed with modern Hall Effect sensors that have built-in temperature compensation and are dramatically simpler. I don't have inside info but from what I can tell the aftermarket parts use Hall Effect sensors, no one is using the factory approach.

@Randy90266 Thanks for the heads up regarding the LN Engineering link, you are right it's now dead. I did a search of their website and couldn't find the distance sensor either, not sure what is going on with them. I'll remove the LNE link from the main post until there's new info. As T-design noted above, they are the pioneers on this and have the track record to go along with it.

Last edited by PV997; 02-19-2022 at 12:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission