Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 09:54 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,774 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
It's not worth it to open the unit to reverse engineer it IMO, as it uses an obsolete design (probably dating from ~2007).
Agreed!
Just putting aside the physical work of removing the resin, then matching the interface needs between the rods and the plugs, particularly with a new design.
I did think though the T-Design part used new components, not a new design?
Perhaps though, a combination of both, because there cannot be too much lost in that black resin.

Regardless, mine was fixed with the T-Design part nearly a year and 4000km ago.
No issues to date!
The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
997ajk (03-04-2022), irnnr (02-19-2022), t-design (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 10:04 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 287 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Agreed!
Just putting aside the physical work of removing the resin, then matching the interface needs between the rods and the plugs, particularly with a new design.
I did think though the T-Design part used new components, not a new design?
Perhaps though, a combination of both, because there cannot be too much lost in that black resin.

Regardless, mine was fixed with the T-Design part nearly a year and 4000km ago.
No issues to date!
It is really completely new design. We humbly call it Next Generation. Notice the square black openings in aluminum housing on original part. those were obviously necessary for original design. We didn't take *anything* from the original sensor unit...
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 02-18-2022 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:13 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by t-design
It is really completely new design. We humbly call it Next Generation. Notice the square black openings in aluminum housing on original part. those were obviously necessary for original design. We didn't take *anything* from the original sensor unit...
Ha!
Thanks, and great to know.
As discussed at the time, such should make the component more resilient and longer-lasting over the original...
Old 02-19-2022, 09:43 AM
Snip's
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Is there any indication that Porsche is either still using the same old distance sensor technology or has moved on with improvements that are being revealed based on model year defects?

Are certain year PDK's more or less impacted? Or is it the kind of problem that will only show up with age as the circuitry in the distance sensor degrades? And since the circuitry is potted it makes it near impossible to determine if Porsche is making improvements?

It may be that Porsche is not interested in improving the distance sensor technology because it will negatively impact their PDK replacement pricing, especially with the demise of the ICE models.

Good that T-Design9 has invested in the fix...
Old 03-01-2022, 09:18 AM
Assami
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great introduction thanks for the effort.
I have read it all and learned a lot thanks so million.

can you please pass by the thread I posted about my problem with the PDK . I would really appreciate it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-no-shift.html

Old 03-04-2022, 01:25 AM
Randy90266
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Randy90266- First, I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Like you, I am disappointed with Porsche on how they are treating its enthusiasts community on this issue. I have been following this thread and PV997s excellent work since the beginning. You ask what I would do in your shoes? I would send my car to Frank Beck in AZ, Todd Lamb in GA, PTech in FL or LMN Motorsports in VA and have them install the TDesign distance sensor. If you read this thread, you will see that others in your same predicament have used one of these four indie shops and reported good results. I am not affiliated or connected with any of these shops. But, that is what I would do……..And write a nasty letter to PCNA. Best wishes.
Well, I'm back and in a decidedly better mood than I was at last post. Thanks to this thread, T-Design and Beck's European, I have a fully functional car again. A 440 mile, 6.5 hour drive back home from Arizona (with the top down, no less), yielded zero issues with the car and many satisfied/relieved/happy sounds from the driver.

After calling Beck's, I was able to secure a spot on their transport from L.A. to Scottsdale. Repairs took ~ one week. Old unit replaced with the T-Design model, and while I obviously cannot opine to its longevity, and can say that it works like a charm. While I wouldn't wish this issue on anyone, it's good to know that their is a solution, and a good one at that. FYI, I did contact Callas Rennsport about their willingness to undertake this repair but never heard back.

If anyone wants the old part, it's all yours. If not, I plan to smear it with dog poop and send it to Klaus Zellmer at PCNA.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Cheers.

On it's way

Fixed and ready to go

Out with the old
The following 6 users liked this post by Randy90266:
Fullyield (03-04-2022), maschinetheist (03-16-2022), notfastenough (03-04-2022), Pedro Lopes (03-09-2022), t-design (03-04-2022), Wayne Smith (03-04-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-04-2022, 08:27 AM
notfastenough
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Randy,

It was a pleasure meeting you yesterday. We appreciate your trust and pleasant attitude in the midst of a crappy situation. Roger (Rfjohnson) gave perfect advice which you apparently followed: Suck it up, put on the big boy pants, and soldier through.

We’ve had a couple of guys call us with this issue and they’re so consumed with bitterness (and suffer from smartest-one-in-the-room syndrome. Lol) that it prevented them from actually moving forward with a repair. I suspect their car is still parked and broken. I’m convinced some people in this world would rather complain than actually solve their problem.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:11 AM
Rfjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Repair

[QUOTE=Randy90266;18009878]Well, I'm back and in a decidedly better mood than I was at last post. Thanks to this thread, T-Design and Beck's European, I have a fully functional car again. A 440 mile, 6.5 hour drive back home from Arizona (with the top down, no less), yielded zero issues with the car and many satisfied/relieved/happy sounds from the driver.[QUOTE]​​​​​​

Randy, sounds like a glorious drive back home. Excellent. My old sensor is on special display as the KO stone that felled the ogre. A reminder in my workshop that things work out when just the right amount of grip - not too much or too little - is applied. Roger

Last edited by Rfjohnson; 03-04-2022 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
notfastenough (03-05-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 09:38 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,523 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by notfastenough
Randy,

We’ve had a couple of guys call us with this issue and they’re so consumed with bitterness (and suffer from smartest-one-in-the-room syndrome. Lol) that it prevented them from actually moving forward with a repair. I suspect their car is still parked and broken. I’m convinced some people in this world would rather complain than actually solve their problem.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

That simple prayer changed my life many years ago. Being miserable and unhappy is a choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
notfastenough (03-05-2022), PatrickBateman (04-25-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 09:53 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by notfastenough
  • Denial.
  • Anger.
  • Bargaining.
  • Depression.
  • Acceptance.
It took me about five minutes, and half of that was on Rennlist looking for options, to go through the Five Stages of PDK Failure.
Some, as you suggest, appear to take longer...
notfastenough (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 01:30 AM
Randy90266
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

That simple prayer changed my life many years ago. Being miserable and unhappy is a choice.
There's always room for the serenity prayer.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:27 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Amen!
Old 03-13-2022, 08:18 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Gang; shout out to Atlanta Speedwerks (www.atlspeedwerks.com) for all the PDK's they have resurrected recently. They have been helping me keep mine as happy as it can be (knock-on-wood, which I literally did just now), but I have witnessed many a PDK coming in busted and then leaving happy (taking notes as they go, for my own future reference, if needed). No strings, just thought they needed a shout-out.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:12 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Papamurphdog
Gang; shout out to Atlanta Speedwerks (www.atlspeedwerks.com) for all the PDK's they have resurrected recently. They have been helping me keep mine as happy as it can be (knock-on-wood, which I literally did just now), but I have witnessed many a PDK coming in busted and then leaving happy (taking notes as they go, for my own future reference, if needed). No strings, just thought they needed a shout-out.
Many thanks to Todd Lamb and all the other indies out there doing the right thing when Porsche will not!
Old 03-28-2022, 05:48 PM
curt3g
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

Yup, joined Rennlist in 2017 and this is my first post. Ever get distracted?

It looks like we may have joined the club of misbehaving PDKs. We have a 2015 911 GTS 4 with about 28k miles on it. No track time and has had regular maintenance. A couple of weeks ago, we got the dreaded ‘Transm. Fault, Poss. No R gear, Drive on Poss.’ message. The Durametric shows one fault - P1765 (gear disengagement lock). We parked the car until I could look into it. Started with Rennlist, and low and behold, this thread popped up. Have read it and followed the breadcrumbs to the ‘Chinese PIWIS clone’ thread, and then over to the ‘PIWIS 2 setup as a virtual machine’ thread on Planet-9.

I’ve got VirtualBox version 6.1.12 installed and the PIWIS VM file hooked up. The Planet-9 set of directions are spot on and it all seems to run fine on one of our new-ish laptops. I’ve been exploring around in simulation mode. Unbelievable. I’ve wanted this kind of capability ever since we bought the 2009 Cayman.

Next step will be to purchase a PIWIS II clone box / cable set. I’ve got a question on vendors, but will post that over on the PIWIS clone thread.

If I stumble across anything worth sharing along the journey, will gladly post.

As others have said already, a BIG thank you to PV997 for all of this work. And to everyone else that has added to it. What a resource.

Cheers!
Wayne Smith (03-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission