Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 05:10 PM
DBAMF
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just tested the eds solenoid resistance. Clutch 1 (pins B2,B35) had 6.4 ohms. Clutch 2 (B23,B36) was 6.4ohms. System pressure EDS (B25,B38) was 6.4 ohms. The spec states 5-6 ohms but they are all about the same. I was hoping to find one different than the rest. Should they be on the dot 5-6 ohms?
Old 09-08-2022, 05:16 PM
DBAMF
AutoX

Sorry for spamming this thread, just typing as I am working through. I tested the solenoids on a known good clubsport and all the solenoids tested between 5.5-5.7 ohms. Seems kind of odd that the problem vehicle ALL the solenoids were a bit high...
Old 09-08-2022, 05:50 PM
DBAMF
AutoX

pulled the pdk pan and checked resistance of solenoid directly to avoid any added wiring resistance, all solenoids checked in at 5.6 ohms. Right on target. Now im wondering if the harness is bad and adding resistance to the circuit. I am gaining almost a whole ohm from the pdk cu to the solenoid.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:59 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DBAMF
pulled the pdk pan and checked resistance of solenoid directly to avoid any added wiring resistance, all solenoids checked in at 5.6 ohms. Right on target. Now im wondering if the harness is bad and adding resistance to the circuit. I am gaining almost a whole ohm from the pdk cu to the solenoid.
No I think all those resistances are fine, several extra tenths of an Ohm from the harness should not make a difference.

A solenoid can still be bad even if the resistance is fine, all that means is that the windings are okay but the plunger/actuator can still be stuck or otherwise fouled.

When I was referring to the solenoid current in my comment I didn't mean the resistance but the actual current to the solenoid as measured by the TCU and displayed on the PIWIS. These are items you can select to display. Tracking them while also watching the pressure values may give some insight, particularly if the two pressure sensors are behaving differently with respect to their solenoid currents.

Take a look at the troubleshooting document I attached up to comment 921. It has a flow lane for fault P0841 starting on page 12 (PS3 flow). One of the legs does go through the valve body (Porsche calls it an electrohydraulic control unit).
Old 09-08-2022, 11:02 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
On second screenshot - those actual values for shiftrods look right for our sensor. I would guess Active P0841 error to be the start of errors chain...

PIWIS III is a no-no, we had multiple reports of calibration problems with it. Our installation manual has a warning about it in step 25.
PIWIS II is recommended . Also, sometimes it take up to a seven times to calibrate, so I'd suggest not quit after 3
Hi T-Design, thanks for responding. Any idea why the PIWIS 3 is troublesome in calibration or is that just another PIWIS PDK mystery (there are many)? I do remember someone else mentioning they had problems with it also.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:55 AM
DBAMF
AutoX

Swapped in a whole valve body from a known good trans and still have the same fault/result and unable to calibrate. I am about at the end of the road with this one. Not sure there is much more I can do.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:17 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Hi T-Design, thanks for responding. Any idea why the PIWIS 3 is troublesome in calibration or is that just another PIWIS PDK mystery (there are many)? I do remember someone else mentioning they had problems with it also.
No explanation, just pure experience... - multiple our customers reported problems when calibrating with P3 and then success with P2.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 09-09-2022, 01:18 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Swapped in a whole valve body from a known good trans and still have the same fault/result and unable to calibrate. I am about at the end of the road with this one. Not sure there is much more I can do.
Reinstalling TCU software would be next step. Some people here above mentioned it's possible
Old 09-09-2022, 02:27 PM
DBAMF
AutoX

Reinstalling TCU software would be next step. Some people here above mentioned it's possible
Wiped, cleaned, and programmed/coded 2 different TCU's with both piwis2 and our genuine piwis3
Old 09-10-2022, 04:59 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 36 Posts

Wiped, cleaned, and programmed/coded 2 different TCU's with both piwis2 and our genuine piwis3
we had to do the full ECU programming to get one car back on the road, ECU programming will program the TCU as well as some other components, instrument cluster was one of them.

We did the automatic programming, but make sure you have the 40A charger attached to the car as the engine should not be running.

do all this at your own risk

Last edited by amet; 09-10-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:48 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think what's left is this. Solenoid is actually faulty and so calibration cant go through
Originally Posted by PV997
A solenoid can still be bad even if the resistance is fine, all that means is that the windings are okay but the plunger/actuator can still be stuck or otherwise fouled.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:45 PM
DBAMF
AutoX

Originally Posted by amet
we had to do the full ECU programming to get one car back on the road, ECU programming will program the TCU as well as some other components, instrument cluster was one of them.

We did the automatic programming, but make sure you have the 40A charger attached to the car as the engine should not be running.

do all this at your own risk
I tried with that with two different PDK CU's with the same part number

I think what's left is this. Solenoid is actually faulty and so calibration cant go through
Was going to swap in a known good solenoid, but ended up swapping in a whole valve body from a known good transmission. Did not fix.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:50 AM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

¡What a great job!
Old 09-15-2022, 12:10 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

There are quite a bit of connector pin and wiring issues to check along with replacing parts, in our experience. I would be sure to check all of that as part of the sensor and/or rebuild process.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 09-19-2022, 02:59 AM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

I Love this!

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission