Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 10:44 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Except, my distance sensor replacement - including parts shipped to Japan, and the manufacture of a case end-cap removal tool - cost me less than USD5000 total.
Which is less than a new input shaft for my 356A cost.

Not bad in my books...
Excellent as to both cost of parts and labor - DIY! How many of your labor hours did you have invested in the project from start to finish? And, if I remember correctly, it was a Cayman and you did not have to drop the engine to pull the PDK, right? Just trying to compute a ball park labor cost in addition to the part cost. Last estimate I saw some time ago for both parts and labor was $12k, IIRC. Hope the price has come down as more shops are doing it.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:52 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,774 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Excellent as to both cost of parts and labor - DIY! How many of your labor hours did you have invested in the project from start to finish? And, if I remember correctly, it was a Cayman and you did not have to drop the engine to pull the PDK, right? Just trying to compute a ball park labor cost in addition to the part cost. Last estimate I saw some time ago for both parts and labor was $12k, IIRC. Hope the price has come down as more shops are doing it.
Yes, in-car-Cayman (with pics from my car buried above).
It was however an independent shop that did the work, though a DIY in the Cayman would indeed be possible...
Old 06-04-2022, 09:15 AM
6mmamer
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I was all in for $6500 on my BS for a new, T-Design, distance sensor. That includes $1900 for a new, possibly unnecessary, TCU from the dealership before moving the car to an Indy in VA Beach.
The following 3 users liked this post by 6mmamer:
Fullyield (06-04-2022), maschinetheist (06-06-2022), t-design (06-06-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 10:37 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by 6mmamer
I was all in for $6500 on my BS for a new, T-Design, distance sensor. That includes $1900 for a new, possibly unnecessary, TCU from the dealership before moving the car to an Indy in VA Beach.
Thank you……that answers my question so those faced with this decision in the future can make informed choices. Best wishes.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:11 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by 6mmamer

Pretty reasonable considering 2 years ago it was $25-30k.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (06-06-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 01:27 PM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

just to be clear, you don’t have to drop the engine to pull the PDK out of 911… I have pictures to prove it
Old 06-05-2022, 03:32 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by amet
just to be clear, you don’t have to drop the engine to pull the PDK out of 911… I have pictures to prove it
Even better. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:12 AM
notfastenough
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

It's important to clarify pricing since the "$12k" figure continues to be thrown around. It's considerably cheaper than that. On a Boxster or Cayman, almost half of that for diagnosis, parts, and labor.

But I can only speak for Beck's European pricing.

BTW: We're working to resolve the "weeping bleeder screw" issue.
The following users liked this post:
irnnr (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by notfastenough
It's important to clarify pricing since the "$12k" figure continues to be thrown around. It's considerably cheaper than that. On a Boxster or Cayman, almost half of that for diagnosis, parts, and labor.

But I can only speak for Beck's European pricing.

BTW: We're working to resolve the "weeping bleeder screw" issue.
Thank you for the clarification. That is exactly what we are trying to pin down.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:13 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,523 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by amet
Nice! I knew this was the case for the Cayman (and say so in the main post) but wasn't sure about the 911. Thanks for confirming it.

Unfortunately Rennlist no longer lets post authors edit the post after a short time. The mods have been great about editing if you ask them, but it's too much trouble to pester them and coordinate for lots of small updates. I'll probably gather a bunch up and ask to have them updated all at once. In the meantime folks will need to keep an eye on the last few pages of comments for new info.

BTW, has anyone confirmed that remanufactured PDK PN listed above is valid? Porsche has a bad habit of listing obsolete units with seemingly low prices that aren't actually available. Plus there are variants depending on if its' a 911 or Cayman, NA or turbo, 9x7.2 vs. 9x1.1, etc.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:38 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,774 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Nice! I knew this was the case for the Cayman (and say so in the main post) but wasn't sure about the 911. Thanks for confirming it.
So, the 911 still requires the transmission to be pulled, but not the engine.
The Cayman and Boxster do not require the transmission to be pulled (or engine), as the end cap can be removed in situ, and the distance sensor accessed easily for replacement.

Originally Posted by PV997
Unfortunately Rennlist no longer lets post authors edit the post after a short time. The mods have been great about editing if you ask them, but it's too much trouble to pester them and coordinate for lots of small updates.
I would suggest, your status here and on this thread alone would warrant approval to edit at will?

Old 06-10-2022, 08:25 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,523 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
So, the 911 still requires the transmission to be pulled, but not the engine.
The Cayman and Boxster do not require the transmission to be pulled (or engine), as the end cap can be removed in situ, and the distance sensor accessed easily for replacement.

I would suggest, your status here and on this thread alone would warrant approval to edit at will?
Thanks Kuro, I think I read amet's comment too fast as I thought he wrote the PDK didn't need to be pulled. My mistake, maybe it's a good thing I don't have edit privileges!
Old 06-15-2022, 06:38 AM
Delishu_racing
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TCU code problem after PDK learning on 987.2 CS

3 weeks ago I changed the pdk clutches on my 2010 CS and the workshop I brought the car to had to make learning of the gearbox.
After unsuccessfull learning with piwis3, there is no PDK actual values, the error is that transmission is not programmed, The software number is 00000000000, some other values in extended identifications are wrong. The programming with piwis3 is not possible. We tried programming with piwis2 and it was successful, but again the same error and the software number is still 00000000000.lso the engine does not start, there are errors for communications with the PDK in DME, PSM... Thats why I need boot file(full read) from another car- they said .I think that this is the last chance. I hope that someone can help me with the file or with advice. Thank you! The pics are from the workshop :

Old 06-15-2022, 10:47 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

We've run into this issue before. Start by verifying the integrity of the wiring/pins/connectors associated with the PDK.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 06-17-2022, 07:56 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am currently in the EXACT situation as @Delishu_racing , after trying to run an "adaptation" of the PDK with a clone PIWIS 3.

I can't imagine who would have, or how they would get, a full boot file from a PDK ECU. Tools that will "read" the files (like CMD etc) are typically slaves to another (tuner) master, or just read the SW # to hunt for a file on a server and so on.

I would THINK (but not sure at the moment) that a dealer PIWIS could program the ECU...IF it didn't have permanent faults or was somehow damaged. I'm trying to sort that question now. In the meantime I bit the bullet and ordered a new PDK ECU for $1100 USD

Last edited by advrider1967; 06-17-2022 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission