Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 08:04 AM
gsalmen1974
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

PV997 - what an amazing job - you did - sharing your experience, giving hope to all the desparat 911 owners - suffering from this aftermarket protection crime.
Would like to contribute with the missing article from springer, and a pic from a manual all about this P1732.
If anybody has an idea where to get the sensors from - I would propose you for the NOBEL price - please contact me !
Thanks a million
G.
Regarding the failure probability: This happend to me on 18th of August, a warm day, 3 weeks before this nightmare the coolant warning came up but disappeared after 3 days, At least in Austria all of the 7 Porsche Dealers / Officials told me: We never experienced this P1732 before on a 991.1 C4S 2012, and all of them told me to invest 15kEUR for a refurbished transmission, since they are not allowed to open it up and repair, since with that opening more difficulties will occur - this is how they justify their money making maschine. I prefer to fight the root cause - ZF is delivering this to Porsche, they own it and have it, if their contract with Porsche has only the purpose to save their margin and save their "cash cow" "refurbished transmittion" - we need to fight this - with all means - if I get a solution for 5k - I am willing to spend the other 10k to a lawyer to solve this one for all ! Who come with me ?

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
pdk_springer_info.pdf (1.21 MB, 372 views)

Last edited by gsalmen1974; 09-12-2020 at 09:21 AM. Reason: adding options to go forward
The following users liked this post:
irnnr (08-03-2021)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:52 AM
gsalmen1974
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt I am the only one having this pain in the a..

If you won't mind, we can team up in fighting this ZF-Porsche Cartell.
Drop a note :
https://doodle.com/poll/xequupd39miifk79
Lets see what we can achieve together, my requests towards Porsche and ZF are running since 2 weeks,
more people, more pain, more audience, more pressure .....I give it a try
Georg
The following 4 users liked this post by gsalmen1974:
Antoine Caby (09-15-2020), Kpadas (09-17-2020), Presto (09-15-2020), subaru335i (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 10:47 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,539 Likes on 654 Posts

Thanks Georg, I'll send you a PM. Please keep up the pressure on them, particularly ZF and specifically request the sensor by it's ZF part number.

Let us know if you want to try and repair the distance sensor. Since the transmission is now a giant paperweight you really don't have much to lose. Worst case the repair doesn't work and we put the old sensor back in and close it up so you can still get a core credit on a remanufactured unit. If it does work you save $15k and we get to document and publicize the process for everyone. You take on a cartel by giving others an option, which is what we'll do.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:37 AM
patriot993
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi Georg - should your Doodle note include the option for 987 and 981 owners as well? I had a 987.2 Boxster that had a (temporary) PDK failure. I have since sold the car but I imagine that there are Cayman and Boxster owners that have had similar issues. In fact, here is a link to GT4 forum has a list of owners with issues. https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9614...-database.html
thanks
David

Last edited by patriot993; 09-15-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:37 AM
Antoine Caby
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsalmen1974
I doubt I am the only one having this pain in the a..

If you won't mind, we can team up in fighting this ZF-Porsche Cartell.
Drop a note :
https://doodle.com/poll/xequupd39miifk79
Lets see what we can achieve together, my requests towards Porsche and ZF are running since 2 weeks,
more people, more pain, more audience, more pressure .....I give it a try
Georg
Tanks Georg, just joined your Doodle. My nightmare ended up in zero-goodwill refurbished -unrepairable ;-)- transmission. But I fully support fighting this.
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 04:04 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Antoine Caby
Tanks Georg, just joined your Doodle. My nightmare ended up in zero-goodwill refurbished -unrepairable ;-)- transmission. But I fully support fighting this.
Did you buy it from Porsche?
If it were me and I needed the car up and running quickly I would just buy a cheaper used transmission and keep my old one and try to repair it. Then if you repair the old one you could sell it or swap it back in.
It looks like you can get good used 991.1 PDKs for $5-7k and you get to keep your old one...no brainer to me. Its not like the new "refurbished" pdk's that porsche is selling are immune to this issue happening again and the warranty they give you isn't anything special.

I have swapped used transmission in a few of my other cars and have honestly always had good luck. There are tons of cars that get wrecked with low miles and that are otherwise well taken care of and it is extremely hard to damage the trans from a wreck.
I bought a Subaru STI 6 speed transmission from a car that was mangled beyond belief and that thing shifted smoother than my previous brand new WRX trans and held tons of power with no issues.
I also upgraded my AP1 S2000 transmission that was grinding in second to a newer used AP2 trans out of a wrecked car for cheap and it has been excellent.

Last edited by subaru335i; 09-15-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:50 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by subaru335i
If it were me and I needed the car up and running quickly I would just buy a cheaper used transmission and keep my old one and try to repair it. Then if you repair the old one you could sell it or swap it back in.
This is what I plan on doing if I get the codes again. So far so good, another weekend trip no issues. Heading for the mountains soon for a real test.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:24 PM
RABjr
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

This is one of the best posts I have seen and a great service to the Porsche community. Well Done!

Rick
Old 09-23-2020, 06:58 PM
ruperto
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
Glad The thread is really moving fast, i was not able to keep up these past few weeks but i do have the transmission down from the car now on the work bench.. guys i can fiddle around with how to go about dismantling the pdk gearbox but it would be nice if someone can point or has actual experience on how to access the sensor inside ive seen the still shots with the lower half of the transmission case removed question is how to remove or crack open the case halves any help and info would be appreciated. Btw after i crack open if you still need the position sensor for R And D pm where to send.

thanks guys
Old 09-24-2020, 12:43 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ruperto
Hi,
Glad The thread is really moving fast, i was not able to keep up these past few weeks but i do have the transmission down from the car now on the work bench.. guys i can fiddle around with how to go about dismantling the pdk gearbox but it would be nice if someone can point or has actual experience on how to access the sensor inside ive seen the still shots with the lower half of the transmission case removed question is how to remove or crack open the case halves any help and info would be appreciated. Btw after i crack open if you still need the position sensor for R And D pm where to send.

thanks guys
Hey Ruperto - Have not taken one apart yet but here's a few things I think are accurate from digging into this (fair warning, it's from looking at photos and there's some supposition).

Here's a picture of the forward case removed that isn't in the main post. You can see the bearings for the shafts remain in the case and look like they are held in place with flanges. They are not conical bearings so the shafts must be pressed into them (loosely I hope) allowing the shafts to slide out. (Sorry for the big photo but didn't want to lose resolution.)

The drive shaft terminates in the top bearing and the bolt shown should be accessible by removing the cover on the exterior of the PDK (replacement covers are available from Porsche PN 9G1.321.360.00). Here's a shot of the shafts, this is a duplicate from the main post. Note that the driveshaft has a groove in it that may or may not be for a snap ring. If there is a snap ring it should be visible and accessible after the cover is removed.

Note that the pinion shaft (on the left in the photo above but the bearing is on the right in the removed case photo) appears to just slide into the roller bearing. There is nothing on the outside of the case for this shaft, it just terminates in the case. There are a few other recesses without bearings in the top photo. The one at the bottom in the center is where the parking pawl shaft terminates. It just sits in there as far as I can tell. Same thing for the left hand side about half way down where a shift rod rests. Nots sure what the large oval shaped hole right above the pinion shaft bearing is as it doesn't seem to line up with anything. The case cover has two alignment dowels as you can see.

If the car is AWD (like the transmission shown in the photo) the mainshaft exiting the PDK will need to have the coupling flange removed before the case can be cracked. This is a splined fitting as you can see on the mainshaft at the bottom of the photo and an exploded version is shown below (this is a 2013 model drawing so it's a little different from a 997.2). If it's 2WD the mainshaft will terminate in the case and it will have a cover on the outside like the driveshaft (same PN for cover). There may or may not be a snap ring here, I have not seen one.

I'll see if I can find more info but hopefully this is helpful. BTW, if you do get it open it would be great to get part numbers off the bearings in the end case as Porsche doesn't publish these.

Last edited by PV997; 09-24-2020 at 12:50 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PV997:
irnnr (08-03-2021), ruperto (09-28-2020), subaru335i (04-22-2022)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:49 AM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Ty for contributing to the community~!!!

I'm surprised there are no reputable shops rebuilding these at a reasonable rate.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 AM
tony joseph
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2017 boxster

Sir,
my car 2017 Boxster, fault code showing distance sensor fault, dealer not sell separately sensor, any possibility get this sensor?
this PDK repair showing same 2017 model
Old 09-28-2020, 10:04 AM
tony joseph
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sir,
i am struck,2017 Boxster distance sensor not getting, any possibility? Please help
2017 boxster
Old 09-28-2020, 10:13 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tony joseph
Sir,
my car 2017 Boxster, fault code showing distance sensor fault, dealer not sell separately sensor, any possibility get this sensor?
this PDK repair showing same 2017 model
Tony - Isn't the car under factory warranty? They should replace the PDK with a remanufactured unit at no cost to you. It's about $20k cost total at the dealer if not under warranty.

Currently there are no public suppliers for the distance sensor. ZF refuses to sell to the public and the Chinese aftermarket houses showing them on their websites are all "out of stock" (it's doubtful they ever had them). Only option at this point is to replace the transmission or possibly repair the distance sensor. Still looking for a good candidate to test the repair on.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:13 AM
ruperto
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cayman Pdk

Originally Posted by PV997
Hey Ruperto - Have not taken one apart yet but here's a few things I think are accurate from digging into this (fair warning, it's from looking at photos and there's some supposition).

Here's a picture of the forward case removed that isn't in the main post. You can see the bearings for the shafts remain in the case and look like they are held in place with flanges. They are not conical bearings so the shafts must be pressed into them (loosely I hope) allowing the shafts to slide out. (Sorry for the big photo but didn't want to lose resolution.)

The drive shaft terminates in the top bearing and the bolt shown should be accessible by removing the cover on the exterior of the PDK (replacement covers are available from Porsche PN 9G1.321.360.00). Here's a shot of the shafts, this is a duplicate from the main post. Note that the driveshaft has a groove in it that may or may not be for a snap ring. If there is a snap ring it should be visible and accessible after the cover is removed.

Note that the pinion shaft (on the left in the photo above but the bearing is on the right in the removed case photo) appears to just slide into the roller bearing. There is nothing on the outside of the case for this shaft, it just terminates in the case. There are a few other recesses without bearings in the top photo. The one at the bottom in the center is where the parking pawl shaft terminates. It just sits in there as far as I can tell. Same thing for the left hand side about half way down where a shift rod rests. Nots sure what the large oval shaped hole right above the pinion shaft bearing is as it doesn't seem to line up with anything. The case cover has two alignment dowels as you can see.

If the car is AWD (like the transmission shown in the photo) the mainshaft exiting the PDK will need to have the coupling flange removed before the case can be cracked. This is a splined fitting as you can see on the mainshaft at the bottom of the photo and an exploded version is shown below (this is a 2013 model drawing so it's a little different from a 997.2). If it's 2WD the mainshaft will terminate in the case and it will have a cover on the outside like the driveshaft (same PN for cover). There may or may not be a snap ring here, I have not seen one.

I'll see if I can find more info but hopefully this is helpful. BTW, if you do get it open it would be great to get part numbers off the bearings in the end case as Porsche doesn't publish these.
Hi ,
thanks for the Info , i ve managed to separate and split the case wide open ..the particular car im working on right now is a 987.2 so the transmission is a bit different from a 911 in that the selector lever is also found on the rear part and there is no output flange for a rear wheel drive. In short you really have to have a puller to make things easier as the 2 bearings are pressed fit and takes a lot of convincing to come loose.

Man I know these will help someone out there in the future

Last edited by ruperto; 09-28-2020 at 10:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ruperto:
irnnr (08-03-2021), PV997 (09-28-2020), subaru335i (10-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission