Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 10:24 AM
tony joseph
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unfortunately no warranty, this region only two year warranty ,my car three year over,
any possibility repair distance sensor, any repair procedure available please let me know...three month car struck
Old 09-28-2020, 10:30 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,523 Likes on 651 Posts

Ruperto, that is awesome, great work! Million questions of course, but first off, can you tell what material seals the back of the distance sensor? Is it hard potting (epoxy) or something more pliable? Also, are those four tabs on each side of the distance sensor part of the back seal? My biggest concern is getting the distance sensor open without damaging things inside.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:47 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried an oil cooler? I get the error (gear locks) only after driving 20-30 minutes, or longer on cold days.

https://lnengineering.com/products/b...2-991-911.html

Old 10-03-2020, 08:56 AM
gsalmen1974
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by subaru335i
Did you buy it from Porsche?
If it were me and I needed the car up and running quickly I would just buy a cheaper used transmission and keep my old one and try to repair it. Then if you repair the old one you could sell it or swap it back in.
It looks like you can get good used 991.1 PDKs for $5-7k and you get to keep your old one...no brainer to me. Its not like the new "refurbished" pdk's that porsche is selling are immune to this issue happening again and the warranty they give you isn't anything special.

I have swapped used transmission in a few of my other cars and have honestly always had good luck. There are tons of cars that get wrecked with low miles and that are otherwise well taken care of and it is extremely hard to damage the trans from a wreck.
I bought a Subaru STI 6 speed transmission from a car that was mangled beyond belief and that thing shifted smoother than my previous brand new WRX trans and held tons of power with no issues.
I also upgraded my AP1 S2000 transmission that was grinding in second to a newer used AP2 trans out of a wrecked car for cheap and it has been excellent.
thats exactly what i did after fighting with ZF with a zero output for weeks to get that damn sparepart - they are not risking their job by breaking the zf cartell - contract while giving the part away - it is there - the produce it they use it for about 20 years as long they are in contract with their customers (porsche, bmw, etc) after that the „reparaturfreigabe“ will be given - from that on they stop the behaviour - waiting for 20 years ? the failure is in their mindset - they really told me: if you can afford a 160k for a car - you should EXPECT to have a 15k cost impact !
my commitment and joy with porsche is gone - i bought a used pdk and build it in - the old one with the p1731 is on sale for 3k !
love it change it leave it - one needs to know when the fight is over - all the best Georg
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 01:56 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Had a chance to digest the comment and photos from Ruperto up in comment #330 and it looks like we can add some info to what we already know:

1) You must remove the covers at the end of the case that cover the driveshaft and the mainshaft. The driveshaft has a large bolt the must be removed, the mainshaft has a large nut. The AWD version will have a longer shaft with a coupling flange whereas the RWD version will have a shorter mainshaft that ends just past the end of the case. Both have the large nut but they are at different locations depending on AWD or RWD.

2) As Ruperto noted you need a puller to separate the shafts from the bearings (which are attached to the end case via a bolted flange). Looks like Ruperto pressed on the mainshaft (lower) while pulling on the end case around both the driveshaft and mainshaft.

3) There's a gasket between the cases that does not use a sealer. Using a puller helps save this gasket as prying isn't needed at the seam. Porsche does not offer this gasket so if it gets damaged you'll have to make a new one from scratch.

4) The distance sensor is held in place with three screws with torx heads. The distance sensor has a small connector at the top so the sensor can be removed without removing the harness.

5) Parking lock and pawl is implemented differently in the 997 (in the main case) vs. the 987 (in the end case) transmission. This may alter the removal/assembly procedure some depending on the car.

6) The end case can likely be pressed back on using the driveshaft bolt and mainshaft nut. Tighten both sequentially to gradually press the shafts back into the bearings simultaneously.

7) Porsche sells replacement caps and seals for the driveshaft/mainshaft if needed.

Unanswered questions:

1) What is the end case bolt torques?

2) What are the mainshaft bolt and driveshaft nut torques?

3) The bearings can be removed from the end case by removing the holding flange once separated. What are the part numbers if replacements are needed?

I'll update this comment as we learn more.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:23 AM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Another 6 hour plus round trip, highway/back road tour with no codes. Wondering if the gear oil was actually overheating prematurely. And therefore cascaded the series of codes. Presently, the new oil seems to be helping, even if it's a placebo. Possible track test in Nov. Stay tuned.
Thanks for the continued PDK dissection!
Old 10-18-2020, 11:12 AM
Damien Law
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi PV997,

I have a few of those sensors but broken. Do you have WhatsApp so we can communicate easily?
Old 10-18-2020, 11:54 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Damien Law
Hi PV997,

I have a few of those sensors but broken. Do you have WhatsApp so we can communicate easily?
No Whatsapp but we'll work something out. I accepted your friend request so you should be able to PM me.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:03 PM
Damien Law
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
No Whatsapp but we'll work something out. I accepted your friend request so you should be able to PM me.
I can see that you have accepted my req but I am unable to Private Message you for i do not know what reason.. is it because my account is too new? or maybe you can try to PM me instead ..
Old 10-18-2020, 10:39 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Damien Law
I can see that you have accepted my req but I am unable to Private Message you for i do not know what reason.. is it because my account is too new? or maybe you can try to PM me instead ..
Won't let me send to you either, probably a minimum number of comments needed. I PM'd the admin asking about it, I'll update this comment if I get some info.

Edit: Not sure what's the issue with PMs so I set up a new email account you can use to contact me. It's pv997 at mail dot com (mail.com not gmail). Once you email I'll reply from my regular email account. Didn't want to post that here due to spam.

Last edited by PV997; 10-20-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:54 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Bumping this.

Not sure what's the issue with PMs so I set up a new email account you can use to contact me. It's pv997 at mail dot com (mail.com not gmail). Once you email I'll reply from my regular email account. Didn't want to post that here due to spam.
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (10-22-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 12:32 PM
Wesley Stanek
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 997.2 PDK displacement sensor repair

Hey guys the high resolution photo of the open PDK was taken by me at my shop, we successfully were able to replace the sensor and repair the transmission. if anyone needs information on this repair or testing you can direct message me here, or on Instagram at "wstanek".

lates,
Wesley Stanek
The following 3 users liked this post by Wesley Stanek:
irnnr (08-03-2021), maschinetheist (11-02-2021), subaru335i (11-02-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:41 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wesley Stanek
Hey guys the high resolution photo of the open PDK was taken by me at my shop, we successfully were able to replace the sensor and repair the transmission. if anyone needs information on this repair or testing you can direct message me here, or on Instagram at "wstanek".

lates,
Wesley Stanek
Thanks Wesley, appreciate the work you have done and your willingness to tackle the PDK when so many won't. Most shops are afraid to touch the PDK so people who aren't experienced DIY'ers don't have an option. I stumbled across the photo and would be happy to add attribution and your contact info to the main post beneath the photo. Drop me an email at pv997 at mail dot com if that's okay with you.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:56 AM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Hi all - been experiencing intermittent PDK emergency run errors that puts the car in neutral for the past 5.5 years (always go away immediately after cycling the car with zero issues in drivability). Over the past month, they seemed to happen more frequently. On Friday, I received 2 errors in a row and then a CEL after cycling car the 3rd time. From the limited drive back to my garage (less than a mile), the car seemed to drive fine with the CEL. Trying to find time this week to get it scanned with a PIWIS to see what the codes are. My race team owner in Atlanta has told me that he doesn't mind cracking open the trans if it comes to it.

Does anyone know if any sensors people are having trouble getting their hands are available through Porsche Motorsports? I know a lot of the club racers use 1st gen PDK, and the GT4 Clubsport has been using PDK. May be worth checking parts number against motorsports available parts?
The following 2 users liked this post by steve0827:
ruperto (11-05-2020), subaru335i (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 01:27 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Excellent, excellent writeup ! Just shows knowledge is the fundamental basis of everything. Without it, everything becomes a mystery and fraudulent kicks in.

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission