Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 12:02 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,539 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by ruperto
Hi,
i have been following your thread w ith great interest,
Im also working on these transmissions i have 2 right now with the rod displacement sensor problem on a cayman and 991 carrera. Man i have to ask you are you confident that you can reverse engineer this sensor? If so i will send you one that we can collaborate on so we can test this out.. im tired of the alibaba suppliers who keep changing their already exorbitant pricing and cant guarantee anything but get your money.. let me know sir!😊
Hey Ruperto - I'm reasonably certain the unit uses at least four linear Hall-effect distance sensor ICs with a pulse width modulation converter. These parts are pretty simple, if they use one like this TI part it's simply a matter of pulling the old IC and soldering in a new one.

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dr...20is%202%20kHz.

Where it could get a little more complicated is if they use a programmable Hall effect sensor IC like the one from Allegro linked below. If this is the case we would need to read the IC's registers (on one of the non-failed channels) and write the values to the replacement IC. This looks doable as the Allegro device's registers are not password read-protected.

https://www.allegromicro.com/~/media...Datasheet.ashx

So I absolutely think it can be done, what we don't know is if it's a simple drop in replacement or something more complicated. The Chinese are doing it after all so it must be possible. If you have one opened up knowing the markings on the IC would help us identify it. Also knowing how it is sealed would be good. Is the backing material shown in comment #250 hard potting or something more easily removable?

Since you only have a few posts I don't think you can PM me so I'll send you a friend request.
The following users liked this post:
Kpadas (07-24-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 12:16 AM
neol
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Thanks ! VERY HELPFUL!
This how I feel exactly about Porsche center, they do not tell you an answer for sure.

"Did they take measurements on the distance sensor and the TCU to isolate the issue?", could you tell me the procedure how to do this?

I will ask Porsche center follow your procedure to "take measurements on the distance sensor" to isolate the issue.

The following users liked this post:
Kpadas (07-24-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 01:56 AM
neol
AutoX

Hi
I guess Porsche refused to supply the parts to you!
I have the same problem.
Every car supplier, including ZF, tell me, Porsche controls and restricts its car parts.
Porsche parts are not available in the after-sales market.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:08 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

The 991.2 with the 3.0T is starting to become the tuning bargain right now and APR is showing super strong results from stock drivetrain and upgraded turbos (700whp running 9 sec 1/4 mile) which means more and more people will start pushing the PDK with more and more power and I am sure we will start to see more failures and more of them start to wear out in the next few years.
To me this means that the aftermarket will surely (hopefully) step in and reverse engineer or source the parts outside of Porsche.

I think the 991.2 is still essentially the same PDK unit as the 997.2 and 991.1 right? Just the 992 has the new 8 speed.

I don't think Porsche will be able to keep the monopoly on PDK service for long. My old 335i had previously un-upgradeable High Pressure fuel pumps and coil packs that would fail all the time and the aftermarket has come up with a few different good solutions. I feel like a high pressure fuel pump is way more complex and difficult to manufacture than some sensors and solenoids.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:27 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Drove the car Sat, Sun and Mon, data logging the entire time. Never threw a code. Not even a hesitation.
So why change the PDK?. I plan to change the gear oil first. I'm wondering if there might be something in there causing problems with the speed sensors? Do you think this is even a possibility?
Looking for some DIY for this particular PDK but was unable to find the 997.2 procedure. I have the gear oil and ready to make the change. For clarification:

this is the where the 2.95 liters of Mobilube PTX FA(SAE 75w-90) is changed, correct?
Any suggestions on where I can send the oil for analysis, if I find anything strange? Thanks
Old 07-29-2020, 04:57 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mrhobbiest
Drove the car Sat, Sun and Mon, data logging the entire time. Never threw a code. Not even a hesitation.
So why change the PDK?. I plan to change the gear oil first. I'm wondering if there might be something in there causing problems with the speed sensors? Do you think this is even a possibility?
Looking for some DIY for this particular PDK but was unable to find the 997.2 procedure. I have the gear oil and ready to make the change. For clarification:

this is the where the 2.95 liters of Mobilube PTX FA(SAE 75w-90) is changed, correct?
Any suggestions on where I can send the oil for analysis, if I find anything strange? Thanks
Certainly worth a try except the only thing I can think of in the gear oil that would affect the speed sensor is metal shavings (since it's a magnetic sensor). If that's the case you could have bigger fish to fry.

Check out this comment from Wayne Smith that documents the drain and fill locations for the driveline components:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15344623

I would think any outfit that does used oil analysis can test the gear oil. The issue is what do you compare it against? It would be good to know the viscosity and if it degraded (thinned out) over the years. I recall a post a few years back where someone did have the gear oil tested and found the viscosity had dropped substantially. It's easy to change and no PIWIS is needed so it's not a bad idea to change it more regularly that the maintenance schedule calls out.

Last edited by PV997; 07-29-2020 at 10:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-2020, 10:49 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for suggestions.
I have a 2009 Carrera S PDK with 60k miles, Code p1733 position sensor shift rod 3. I have been chasing this for months. The car drives great for 20-40 minutes, then locks into one gear.
I had the gear oil replaced and the PDK re-calibrated. I had the valve body and the transmission control unit replaced. I still have the same problem.

I have emailed the China parts suppliers trying to find the gear position sensor. Replies state they have sold out.

I have the car at a Transmission Center that I trust. I don't want to spend more on removing and opening the transmission without a parts source.

I have the old valve body and control unit if someone wants to diagnose their car because they are chasing similar problems. Willing to work out something with long standing Rennlist members.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:52 AM
neol
AutoX

Hi Tom

My 997 is the same problem; the mileage 43 K km, my 997 is now at Porsche center for 2 months. The center informed me two days ago, my 997 needs a new PDK, which will cost about USD30, 000 in my city.

It is so unfair that Porsche controls the supply of its car parts.

Porsche center informed me, the center is allowed to provide only limited repair of a PDK, and it is not authorized and allowed by German Porsche SE to repair anything inside the PDK, such as replace a new position sensor.

A Porsche 911 could last a few decades if the car parts supply is not a concern.

There are so many technicians who have much more experience about how to repair a Porsche than the Porsche center.

If we and other Porsche owners want to DIY or really enjoy a Porsche without being control by Porsche center, we must do something to solve the problem regarding Porsche car parts supply.

I find a very good way to solve this problem.

We could file complain, online, with German government, according to “model declaratory actions”, this new consumer protection regulation apply to any consumer who buy German product, regardless of nationaliity.
A consumer does not need to pay any cost to file complain online, our complain is

“ Porsche intentionally does not inform the Porsche car owner, when we bought the car, a very important information that its after sale car part supply policy.”

When we buy an expensive Porsche, what we pay is not only the car itself but also Porsche reliable after sale maintenance service and car parts supply.

According to “model declaratory actions”, in a period of 6 month, if there are more than 50 similar complain have been filed; German Federal Court will take care of the legal proceeding.

In Q1, 2020 VW Group paid about EUR 800 million to car owners, according to model declaratory actions”.

This action is for all the Porsche owners to enjoy car, please tell your friends we could file similar complain online in a specific period of time.

FYI:

Porsche Can’t Use EU Designs to Block Some Aftermarket Wheels

Design rights can’t be used to block sale of some repair parts, EU top court says. Part maker must take steps to ensure parts aren’t used for non-repair purposes, like modification.

Aftermarket car part makers can sell wheels that would otherwise infringe car companies’ design rights, thanks to a limited exception for repair parts, the European Union’s highest court said Dec. 20, 2017.

The Court of Justice of the EU’s ruling is a win for aftermarket makers, who can continue selling certain repair parts even if they are covered by design rights.

Aftermarket car part makers can sell wheels that would otherwise infringe car companies’ design rights, thanks to a limited exception for repair parts, the European Union’s highest court said Dec. 20.

The Court of Justice of the EU’s ruling is a win for aftermarket makers, who can continue selling certain repair parts even if they are covered by design rights.

Last edited by neol; 08-07-2020 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:34 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 ^^

if we can prepare the template on what to fill in the different fields will be a good start, esp. if everything is in German. Also having the correct URL to use.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:31 AM
neol
AutoX

Hi 318touring,

This is the information and the link about "Model Declaratory Action ( Musterfeststellungsklage)".

Complaint register form:

https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/Th...ular_node.html ( need to be updated)

Instructions for completing the complaint register form:

https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/Th...anleitung_node

Federal Office of Justice English Website (cannot access the registration link)

https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/EN/Ho...B6008.1_cid383

Federal Office of Justice German Website

Musterfeststellungsklagenregister (Model Declaratory Action Register)

https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/Th...ines_node.html

Cases:

https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/Th...agen_node.html

FAQs:

https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/Th...ml#faq11632252

List of qualified institutions:

https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/Th...iste_node.html

Infor: klageregister@bfj.bund.de

Last edited by neol; 08-07-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:35 AM
318touring
Pro

None of the links works .... returning

Sehr geehrte/r Besucher/in,

Ihre Anfrage war unzulässig. Bitte verwenden Sie den Zurück-Button Ihres Browsers, um auf den besuchten Webauftritt zurück zu gelangen.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:28 AM
neol
AutoX

Hi
It is strange, these links did work.

I will check and reply!

this is mail for information:
klageregister@bfj.bund.de
Old 08-07-2020, 11:20 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 318touring
None of the links works .... returning
Not working for me either, but here's a workaround. Click one of Noel's links and you'll get the error page. Go up to the URL bar and click twice and the end off the address and hit enter, now it works. Not sure why it works but it does.

If that doesn't work, backspace over the last letter in the address, retype it, and hit enter. This makes the website think it's a direct request rather than a referral.

Edit: I reposted a working link as a test and it didn't work either so it's not the formatting. Maybe the German government site blocks referrers from outside the country as accessing the site directly (which the trick above does) works fine.

Last edited by PV997; 08-07-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:43 PM
318touring
Pro

Originally Posted by PV997
Not working for me either, but here's a workaround. Click one of Noel's links and you'll get the error page. Go up to the URL bar and click twice and the end off the address and hit enter, now it works. Not sure why it works but it does.

If that doesn't work, backspace over the last letter in the address, retype it, and hit enter. This makes the website think it's a direct request rather than a referral.

Edit: I reposted a working link as a test and it didn't work either so it's not the formatting. Maybe the German government site blocks referrers from outside the country as accessing the site directly (which the trick above does) works fine.
Yup, seems that it needs a session ID. Whatever Java-based application server they are using isn't happy if the session ID is missing. While the site has an English version, it doesn't include the section we need. It's only the German version that includes this section, so use Chrome's built-in translation function to navigate your way around it. Copy one of the links above and add this to the end: ;jsessionid=546356475EAD0CFDC844473E36868EC9.2_cid394

I still have to find the correct form to register a complaint.

Last edited by 318touring; 08-07-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:36 AM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Filed a manufacturer complaint with the FCC. Can't hurt.

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission