Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 05:13 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
There are pros/cons to both the Aftermarket units and the PCCM+. These aftermarket units basically allow you to run multiple cameras, wireless Carplay/AA and endless customizations (Better software and more powerful hardware).

Both of my cars do not have steering wheel controls but these units support steering wheel control mapping. It looks fairly simple within the app to map those buttons.

One car has Sport Chrono, I personally never used that function within the PPCM. I do not think that it is supported within the Android unit. So that is a compromise if you use that function.

Unsure about Sirius/XM, never used it. Another compromise if that is what you primarily use.

All I personally wanted was that the car has Carplay/ AA functionality. Within AA/Carplay you have navigation/music/phone. I also wanted an OEM appearance which I think is finally there.

The cost for the units I have is 25% of what the PCCM+ costs. So that is a big plus. It really depends on the individual user and what they require from the unit. I simply wanted a gateway out of the dark-ages so I can have navigation/music and phone calls.
Completely agree regarding the cost savings, I'd never consider a PCCM+ as it's essentially a $1500 buggy Android head unit. Porsche Tax on steroids. Trying to understand what one loses though so thanks for the list. As far as I can tell none of these direct from China units support Sirius/XM probably due to the licensing fees involved.
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 08:42 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Completely agree regarding the cost savings, I'd never consider a PCCM+ as it's essentially a $1500 buggy Android head unit. Porsche Tax on steroids. Trying to understand what one loses though so thanks for the list. As far as I can tell none of these direct from China units support Sirius/XM probably due to the licensing fees involved.
I suspect it's also highly due to Sirius/XM (and HD radio for that matter) being USA/Canada-only, and these units being targeted at the widest possible global audience. So even if they could get licensing/certification, it wouldn't be worth the cost of doing so. One can use the Sirius/XM app on your phone via AA/Carplay, or on the HU itself with a data connection, but then you lose the benefit of having SAT radio in areas with no cellular coverage
Old 07-16-2023, 11:15 AM
arva
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
looks like the product URL just changed: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804922986664.html

I've set up the heregoes one (UIS7862 8/128) for a few customers now, very happy with it: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804900229496.html. It's FYT-based so there's a large community supporting it over on XDA developers forums
I just installed herego 7862 8/256gb unit to my 997.1. Everything went fairly ok. Had to splice a wire for ASK amp to work.

I don’t like the UI very much, so looking for a new launcher. Maybe you can recommend one?

Also how to change what the buttons do?

And could you show me to the community in xda forum for the unit?
Old 07-16-2023, 02:46 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by arva
I just installed herego 7862 8/256gb unit to my 997.1. Everything went fairly ok. Had to splice a wire for ASK amp to work.

I don’t like the UI very much, so looking for a new launcher. Maybe you can recommend one?

What wire did you have to splice? Have a photo?
Old 07-16-2023, 03:14 PM
arva
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
What wire did you have to splice? Have a photo?

Found this unused wire from the unit side that has power when unit is on.

Red-black wire needs power for ASK amp to turn on.

So cut the red-black wire and connected to the orange “auto ant” cable, and voila. Sorry, no picture of the connection.

As the wire is so thin, my guess is that the amp is powered on the amp side and this cable only “tells” the amp to turn on.

Last edited by arva; 07-16-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Graufuchs (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 04:59 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 476 Posts

Many Thanks, just went through the 997 wiring diagram and checked voltage came to same conclusion.

Black/Red Original Harness ----> Unused orange 12v Power Antenna on PCCM Side

Appreciate it!
arva (07-17-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by arva

XDA community: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/f...d-units.12445/

I use Nova Launcher with the Lines icon pack. To change the buttons, I use both FytHwOneKey and a mod from the XDA forums since neither covers all the buttons. I also use a shortcut app to allow launching the built-in carplay/AA from the NAVI button.

I've compiled a self-installing update image which will update the Apps/kernel to the latest versions, remove the crappy Chinese voice/touch assistant and similar crap, install the above mentioned launcher, icons, mods, bootsplash, and background I posted above. If interested, shoot me a PM or DM on IG.
The following 4 users liked this post by MattDevoCustoms:
drawz (10-17-2023), dva78 (01-10-2024), irnnr (07-26-2023), scadams (09-01-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 03:06 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

if you run carplay via the pccm+ you lose ALL the instrument cluster functionality.

steering wheel connectivity is the same, minus 2 buttons. Im not sure about the PCCM+, but the android devices give you both long and short press options so 6 buttons work, but 10 buttons are programable.

Originally Posted by PV997
Not suggesting people buy the PCCM+ as the price is absurd, but what do you lose going with Owtosin/Heregoes compared to it? No XM/Sirius option is one thing, how about instrument cluster and steering wheel control connectivity? Are they comparable? Asking out of ignorance here, but does the PCCM+ support sport chrono functions like the factory HU? If so I suppose you would lose that too with these low priced units.

It would be really nice to have a list comparing factory HU to PCCM+ to these low priced units so people know exactly what they are getting.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

is this the 20 pin main plug or 16 pin main plug.

i have no experience whatsoever with any of the units that have the 16 pin main plug unfortunately.

Originally Posted by MattRBurns
Hi everyone,
I’m hoping I can get some help with getting this working. I can’t seem to get power to the unit. I spoke with Owtosin last night but could not get the unit functioning.
I've been reading through the threads and have spliced wires based on install instructions by @myw

I have a PDF attached, showing what I’ve done. I’m hoping someone can shed some light on where I’ve gone wrong. Any suggestions???

Thank you!
Old 07-21-2023, 02:19 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

Does anyone know if the Owtosin units support Sirius XM radio? Their customer service is lacking.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt
Old 07-21-2023, 03:05 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sylverlee
Does anyone know if the Owtosin units support Sirius XM radio? Their customer service is lacking.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804922986664.html
Only via the Android app on the unit itself or your phone, there's no support for an actual SAT tuner
Old 07-21-2023, 03:47 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
Only via the Android app on the unit itself or your phone, there's no support for an actual SAT tuner
Im guessing the android app is something that is installed afterwards? But is there an actual physical plug for Sirius XM vs regular radio?
Old 07-21-2023, 03:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt
No DAB+ for EU only as XM radio licensing issues in north America prevent it from getting into the android units.
Old 07-21-2023, 03:58 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
No DAB+ for EU only as XM radio licensing issues in north America prevent it from getting into the android units.
ok so XM radio only in EU not North America
Old 07-21-2023, 04:13 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

ok so XM radio only in EU not North America
over there its DAB+ but yes.

its pretty much the equivalent service DAB+ in EU == XM RADIO in NA.

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!