Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 01:13 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Looking at an upgrade for my 997.2 (PCM 3.0) and I have to think the best choice at this point is the Carplay upgrade to the factory unit, though the $500 price tag for Mr 12 Volt is still way too high compared to what you get. There's what looks like a generic version of the Joyeauto unit now on Ebay for around $325. The Joyeauto unit itself is around $380.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364298056051

There's also another version on Aliexpress that looks like it omits the additional box and incorporates its functions into the circuit board installed in the unit for around $235. At least that's what I gather as the description isn't real clear but there's no additional box shown.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805289910291.html

Anyone know anything about these? Nearly all this stuff is way over priced IMO (as compared to the prices for other cars) as sellers know they can get away with it since Porsche owners are used to be screwed over. Looking to find the lowest cost, reliable Carplay upgrade.
so any of these add-on type boxes are essentially a separate unit that takes over the screen when in use, and allows switching between it and the stock unit. They're mostly similar hardware wise, the biggest difference is usually firmware/software. So I'd try to find a unit that the manufacturer/reseller provides updates for the unit, or there's community support (be it for modified firmware or workarounds). Without someone testing and reporting long-term use, hard to say how well things like switching to the stock unit for phone calls, mic input, voice commands, etc work.

You're also going to be dealing with a non-touch interface for Carplay/AA, which is pretty miserable IME. But if you're just preloading a route and using voice to change music etc maybe it's not too bad. I had a similar unit in my M2 and it just didn't work well for me w/o touch input. YMMV
Old 07-10-2023, 01:41 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
You're also going to be dealing with a non-touch interface for Carplay/AA, which is pretty miserable IME. But if you're just preloading a route and using voice to change music etc maybe it's not too bad. I had a similar unit in my M2 and it just didn't work well for me w/o touch input. YMMV
This I did not realize and is a major negative. Can you elaborate? Does the touch interface not work on any of the PCM 3.0 Carplay add-ons or just the cheaper options?
Old 07-10-2023, 01:49 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

This I did not realize and is a major negative. Can you elaborate? Does the touch interface not work on any of the PCM 3.0 Carplay add-ons or just the cheaper options?
I'm not sure, I didn't realize the PCM 3.0 was a touch unit. That's something I'd recommend you get in writing from the seller before purchase, because neither of the listings you linked mentions that the touchscreen functions work with AA/Carplay
Old 07-10-2023, 10:21 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure, I didn't realize the PCM 3.0 was a touch unit. That's something I'd recommend you get in writing from the seller before purchase, because neither of the listings you linked mentions that the touchscreen functions work with AA/Carplay
Yeah I switched up the conversation there when discussing the 3.0. I had a 997.1 and now have a 997.2 and I can tell you the 3.0 is infinitely superior to the 2.1 though it still leaves much to be desired.

Looking at the Aliexpress $235 3.0 Carplay kit it does look like they got rid of the extra box seen in Mr 12 Volt ($500) and Joyeauto ($385). It comes with a replacement top half of the case clamshell that's open in the back so power and antenna cable can attach directly to the circuit board from outside the unit. There's extra connectors on the circuit board for USB, power, antennas, compared to the other units.

I know the Mr 12 Volt supports touchscreen and I'm fairly certain Joyeauto does to. I suspect this one does also. I am a little concerned that having everything on one board might lead to noise issues from poor shielding. The Joyeauto and Mr 12 Volt have a cover over the electronics on the circuit board probably for this reason, this one is wide open. That $235 price is tempting though.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:58 PM
F1 Kevin M
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that highly depends on your use case. If you read the PCCM thread in its entirety, there's no shortage of complaints/issues there, just different ones. And the PCCM is also an Android-based unit, just a much older one (Android 6 vs Android 10/11/12). Porsche has certainly done a decent job smoothing out the rough edges and providing a reasonably plug/play kit, but at the end of the day you're paying quite a bit more and getting a less (or at least differently) capable unit.
I can’t seem to figure out what to do to modernize my 997.1 system from stock. It’s seems every setup has its pros and cons. So many options with different wiring requirements.

there seems to be little talk about mainstream brands like Kenwood Pioneer etc. wonder why

I feel like if someone on this board could piece together a kit with details video instructions, everyone would buy it.
Old 07-11-2023, 11:04 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by F1 Kevin M
I can’t seem to figure out what to do to modernize my 997.1 system from stock. It’s seems every setup has its pros and cons. So many options with different wiring requirements.

there seems to be little talk about mainstream brands like Kenwood Pioneer etc. wonder why

I feel like if someone on this board could piece together a kit with details video instructions, everyone would buy it.
well, IMO it depends on your use case. The AE Android units all have their quirks, but they are all essentially an Android tablet with Carplay/AA. If all you're looking for is the best option for wireless Carplay/AA, they're a good option. But not so good for SAT or HD radio as they're not supported; FM/AM is barely passable. Mic input and BT calls are probably a 6/10. If those are important, perhaps a Pioneer/Kenwood (eg) unit is a better option, but you sacrifice the OEM look and wiring can be a bit more complicated.

Bose, non-Bose, and SPP all require very different wiring configs. You need someone who knows the the platform, the HU in question, and basic car audio. The HU manufacturers/resellers are not interested in that, it would have to be a specialty shop.

I've been doing exactly this for a few years now mainly for older Audi's, and now adding 997's to my portfolio. my IG is under the same name as here
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 07-11-2023, 05:09 PM
TomiK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

FWIW I just installed a Dynavin N7 Pro in my 997.1. It's the older unit so Carplay is via a dongle (iLink Pro) which the previous owner didn't give me or didn't have. I just wanted Bluetooth music and calls and for that it works really well. Easy plug and play - no issues, no splicing, all wiring/connections provided - 20 minute install that took me double that as I forgot to connect the RCA cables. Anyway, OEM look but as others have said, it's not the most modern interface but I figured neither is the car. I just wanted something that could stream music from my phone and looked factory which was the most important thing. I believe the newer N8 does wireless Carplay and/or Android Auto.

Last edited by TomiK; 07-11-2023 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:35 AM
DocNik
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I like my Owtosin 6/128 unit

A lot!

High resolution back up camera works like a treat. Android auto works. Really handy to be able to navigate, call people and text by voice command. The maps are fresh, daily. The unit looks good. I don't listen to music, much, when driving, as I can't hear it, but is is a clear improvement from my bog standard unit. At least one speaker clips if I play it very loud, but standing still or in town it is just fine.

Only one problem, really. Can only get FM stations over about 99 MHz, as I only got a single Fakra antenna in the package. Not a deal breaker. Tried a VW double Fakra, but it killed all sound - warnings, beeps and music, everything. Leaving it as it is for now.

For $600 it is a no brainer, at least if it works like mine does.
(The quote for the PCCM+ here is $2,800!)
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 07-13-2023, 11:00 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Originally Posted by DocNik
Only one problem, really. Can only get FM stations over about 99 MHz, as I only got a single Fakra antenna in the package. Not a deal breaker. Tried a VW double Fakra, but it killed all sound - warnings, beeps and music, everything. Leaving it as it is for now.
you'll likely need a dual FAKRA adapter (possibly with a power lead) as well as the antenna amp bypass loop (like the PCCM comes with). I couldn't find any dual male fakra cables like the PCCM bypass, so I bought 2 single cables and 2 dual connectors and just swapped them over.
Old 07-13-2023, 11:26 PM
F1 Kevin M
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like to Owtosin one is great but temporarily unavailable?

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256805...andl_shipto=US
Old 07-14-2023, 10:27 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Sounds like to Owtosin one is great but temporarily unavailable?

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256805006701634.html
looks like the product URL just changed: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804922986664.html

I've set up the heregoes one (UIS7862 8/128) for a few customers now, very happy with it: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804900229496.html. It's FYT-based so there's a large community supporting it over on XDA developers forums
Graufuchs (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 11:28 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 476 Posts

Thanks to @myw for the hardware and @MattDevoCustoms for the software.

I'm running the Owtosin unit (C4 Unit) w/ Matts custom Android software, very happy with the unit at this point. Wireless AA/Carplay and a super clean OEM looking interface to match the look of the hardware facia. I don't think you can beat it for the price.

Matt even helped me change a few settings in my phone and walked me through the install. (997.1 w/ Bose)

The following 2 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
MattDevoCustoms (07-14-2023), myw (07-18-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 11:48 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
Thanks to @myw for the hardware and @MattDevoCustoms for the software.

I'm running the Owtosin unit (C4 Unit) w/ Matts custom Android software, very happy with the unit at this point. Wireless AA/Carplay and a super clean OEM looking interface to match the look of the hardware facia. I don't think you can beat it for the price.

Matt even helped me change a few settings in my phone and walked me through the install. (997.1 w/ Bose)
Not suggesting people buy the PCCM+ as the price is absurd, but what do you lose going with Owtosin/Heregoes compared to it? No XM/Sirius option is one thing, how about instrument cluster and steering wheel control connectivity? Are they comparable? Asking out of ignorance here, but does the PCCM+ support sport chrono functions like the factory HU? If so I suppose you would lose that too with these low priced units.

It would be really nice to have a list comparing factory HU to PCCM+ to these low priced units so people know exactly what they are getting.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:05 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 476 Posts

Not suggesting people buy the PCCM+ as the price is absurd, but what do you lose going with Owtosin/Heregoes compared to it? No XM/Sirius option is one thing, how about instrument cluster and steering wheel control connectivity? Are they comparable? Asking out of ignorance here, but does the PCCM+ support sport chrono functions like the factory HU? If so I suppose you would lose that too with these low priced units.

It would be really nice to have a list comparing factory HU to PCCM+ to these low priced units so people know exactly what they are getting.
There are pros/cons to both the Aftermarket units and the PCCM+. These aftermarket units basically allow you to run multiple cameras, wireless Carplay/AA and endless customizations (Better software and more powerful hardware).

Both of my cars do not have steering wheel controls but these units support steering wheel control mapping. It looks fairly simple within the app to map those buttons.

One car has Sport Chrono, I personally never used that function within the PPCM. I do not think that it is supported within the Android unit. So that is a compromise if you use that function.

Unsure about Sirius/XM, never used it. Another compromise if that is what you primarily use.

All I personally wanted was that the car has Carplay/ AA functionality. Within AA/Carplay you have navigation/music/phone. I also wanted an OEM appearance which I think is finally there.

The cost for the units I have is 25% of what the PCCM+ costs. So that is a big plus. It really depends on the individual user and what they require from the unit. I simply wanted a gateway out of the dark-ages so I can have navigation/music and phone calls.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:09 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

For some reason the UI in those pics is getting a bit washed out, here's a slightly better representation:

The following 2 users liked this post by MattDevoCustoms:
Graufuchs (07-14-2023), myw (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!