Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 09:51 AM
timtams89
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came across this thread a smidge too late, after ordering and installing a Heregoes unit in my 987.2 a few weeks ago. Still hoping to find some clarity with my specific issues.

1. I have the SPP with ASK amp and there's a distinct hiss, lots of GSM interference sounds, and volume is entirely too loud (can't stand it beyond 5 or so). Am I better off with bypassing the ASK amp entirely, or should I re-wire to the unamplified output as an earlier post mentioned? The ASK amp had a slight hiss even with the CDR-30, but nowhere as noticeable as now.

2. If I want to replace my steering wheel (multifunction) with one of the newer 991.2-style multifunction ones, does having an Android head unit do away with the need for a GPS-Adapter if I already have a CANBUS decoder between this and the newer steering wheel?

Last edited by timtams89; 05-10-2023 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:12 PM
T0m
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by T0m

I will try contacting the vendor and see how we go forward on this & post the results of this communication & resolution, it's one thing selling a product, it's another thing standing behind your product and solving issues in a professional & correct way.

so far the support and communication has been very poor, they keep asking the same questions and provide no real technical support or solution, besides a picture they took from this topic advising me to not use the internal mosfet amp cut cables and connect rca cables to them to run non amplified outputs.

they completely ignore the root cause of the problem and trying to bushfix this issue

i got fed up with the lack of solution & poor communication, so i just filed a claim for full refund

i cannot understand how anybody would feel this headunit is acceptable when it cannot even serve basic core functionality > play music/radio without distortion

Last edited by T0m; 05-10-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:52 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

If you have Sound Package Plus, you need to use the RCA outputs to the ASK amplifier. Do not use the wiring harness speaker wires! The wiring harness wires are amplified outputs that are meant to go directly to speakers if you bypass the ASK amplifier. If you connect the wiring harness wires to the ASK amplifier, you will be amplifying an amplified signal and get distortion.
The following users liked this post:
myw (05-14-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 02:18 PM
T0m
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PapaC4S
If you have Sound Package Plus, you need to use the RCA outputs to the ASK amplifier. Do not use the wiring harness speaker wires! The wiring harness wires are amplified outputs that are meant to go directly to speakers if you bypass the ASK amplifier. If you connect the wiring harness wires to the ASK amplifier, you will be amplifying an amplified signal and get distortion.
i dont have the amp anymore...
Old 05-11-2023, 09:50 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by T0m
i dont have the amp anymore...
I don't have an answer for the general noise issue but the FM static sounds like the car's antenna amplifier isn't being powered on. Is the blue wire hooked up to power it?
Old 05-12-2023, 03:12 AM
T0m
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
I don't have an answer for the general noise issue but the FM static sounds like the car's antenna amplifier isn't being powered on. Is the blue wire hooked up to power it?
yes it is connected.
I also tried disconnecting it and reconnecting while i was installing it
made no difference, so it's probably a defective unit.

update on the owtosin "support"

They refuse to give any refund, and say i need to buy additional rca cables to make it work, completely ignoring the FM issue or the cosmetic issue.

I strongly advise everybody here to not buy anything from them, their aftersales & customer support is non existing, they are unable to communicate in English, 'i assume they use google translate'
during a dispute they just reply in Chinese...

Please don't make the mistake i did and don't waste your money on this.

@
myw i don't know if you can give any more feedback on this or help resolve this issue ?
As this is the perfect use & showcase to the rennlist community how "owtosin official" handles product issues, aftersales warranty & support.

Last edited by T0m; 05-12-2023 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:58 AM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

@T0m What do you mean you don't have the amplifier? How are you getting the audio signal from the headunit to the speakers?
Old 05-12-2023, 11:10 PM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
Anyone know how to change the boot screen?
It's easy, download the image you want and select it in this menu:
Settings»Car»Factory (code 126)» Car Logo

But it's not even necessary. I never see the boot screen because the unit powers on instantly. Boot screen is only visible when you do a full reset.
The following 2 users liked this post by YarraMates:
Graufuchs (05-13-2023), myw (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 05:48 PM
YarraMates
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having an issue when making phone calls - the person on the other end hears a strong echo of themselves; making phone conversations impossible. I discovered that both, the built-in and the external (aux) mics are actually on. This is the cause of the echo (tested). I assumed that when the external mic is plugged in it would override the built-in, but both mics remain active. Is there any way to disable the built-in mic in the settings? It seems a lot of members here are using this unit with an external mic, has anyone encountered this echo problem?

I reached out to Owtosin support, but they were not much help at all - they suggested to just unplug the external mic and use the built-in. But, they included an external mic in the package...surely this unit was designed to be used with an external mic. I'm not just going to ignore this feature and use the crappy internal mic.

Old 05-14-2023, 02:35 PM
T0m
Rennlist Member

update on the owtosin support,

They refused to give any refund or provide any solution.

you will get better communication from talking to a 5 year old.

so be warned, if you get a defective unit...then you basically get scammed.

I would strongly advice against buying anything from them, they sell low quality products with zero warranty or support. so be warned!
vokain (06-13-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 03:52 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

wth - let me talk to them.

Originally Posted by T0m
update on the owtosin support,

They refused to give any refund or provide any solution.

you will get better communication from talking to a 5 year old.

so be warned, if you get a defective unit...then you basically get scammed.

I would strongly advice against buying anything from them, they sell low quality products with zero warranty or support. so be warned!
Old 05-14-2023, 03:53 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

the internal mic is crap once the car is moving - I need to find out whats going on. the px5 + px6 units were pretty much all fine in this regard.

Originally Posted by YarraMates
I'm having an issue when making phone calls - the person on the other end hears a strong echo of themselves; making phone conversations impossible. I discovered that both, the built-in and the external (aux) mics are actually on. This is the cause of the echo (tested). I assumed that when the external mic is plugged in it would override the built-in, but both mics remain active. Is there any way to disable the built-in mic in the settings? It seems a lot of members here are using this unit with an external mic, has anyone encountered this echo problem?

I reached out to Owtosin support, but they were not much help at all - they suggested to just unplug the external mic and use the built-in. But, they included an external mic in the package...surely this unit was designed to be used with an external mic. I'm not just going to ignore this feature and use the crappy internal mic.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:55 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

fm. noise issue - are you using a dual fakra antenna?

general noise issue - does your car have SPP

Originally Posted by T0m
yes it is connected.
I also tried disconnecting it and reconnecting while i was installing it
made no difference, so it's probably a defective unit.

update on the owtosin "support"

They refuse to give any refund, and say i need to buy additional rca cables to make it work, completely ignoring the FM issue or the cosmetic issue.

I strongly advise everybody here to not buy anything from them, their aftersales & customer support is non existing, they are unable to communicate in English, 'i assume they use google translate'
during a dispute they just reply in Chinese...

Please don't make the mistake i did and don't waste your money on this.

@
myw i don't know if you can give any more feedback on this or help resolve this issue ?
As this is the perfect use & showcase to the rennlist community how "owtosin official" handles product issues, aftersales warranty & support.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:11 AM
Belgian_Dude
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

hi all,

thanks @T0m for sharing. As said I'm also talking to support (Bob Luo via Facebook messenger) and it doesn't seem to lead anywhere. Replies are slow and don't have a lot of content, no technical solutions provided (I'm assuming therefore there are none). I was offered a $80 refund which I think is not in line with the lack of quality, esp. since the unit is now approx 75€ cheaper than when I bought it. This would be a 10% "discount", on a unit which is way less than 90% of what it's advertised to be.

I'm reluctant for a full ali refund process, as I would logically have to send back the unit (?) which sounds like a pain: remove everything from the car (antennas etc), who-knows-how-long shipping back to china, and then awaiting a refund from a company I've already lost trust in?? Have to admit I have little or no experience purchasing (or sending back) on Ali, so any feedback welcome.

technically speaking:
we're running in circles with the ASK amp: T0m has it removed, I've tested without it powered, etc. Using un-amplified outputs is the solution for the Boxster/Cayman where all channels are amplified, not for the ASK situation where 1/ only bass is amplified and 2/ the amp requires relatively high line voltage. There's a white noise issue, period.

I was unable to produce any different behavior with wifi, bluetooth, carplay/aa enabled or disabled. Different issue perhaps?

FM reception remains poor, with the dual fakra, car antenna receiving power, and no special box behind the console to be bridged (as was suggested for pccm+ installs).
radio app is also awful, these ones are better (GUI and functionality-wise): https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/d...vices.4048899/ or https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/a...0-9-9.4040505/

research leads me to believe our "platform" MTCH is a variant of MTCD, but I was unable to find any dev/mods/improvements/firmware files for our CHS MCU-channel.

@myw unless I'm mistaken, I did not read your "full take" on my review. Not to worry, but I'd love your take on this primary question: What made you know that specifically Owtosin is the brand under which they sell "high quality" units? How much detail do you have on their company/ies structure? Do you know which other brands come from the same factory (but may have integrated cpu etc.) ?

regards,
Quentin
Old 05-15-2023, 04:09 AM
T0m
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
fm. noise issue - are you using a dual fakra antenna?

general noise issue - does your car have SPP
I have two Fakra connectors, one brown & one black

since the head unit only came with a black one, i connected it to that and also the blue Antenna C wire.

Tested it also with the brown fakra, but there I basically get no radio signal, i assume that's for the cellular reception ?

for your second question if i have SPP ?
No i do not, i just have the A.S.K option which only powers the subwoofer, but this amp has also been removed, with the same result @Belgian_Dude has experienced > no difference

Ali express stepped in and offered me a measly 90 euro refund... which doesn't even cover half of the import and shipping costs.

I don't know what your feedback or experience has been with this company, but to me it's very clear that their only concern & consistency, based on other peoples experiences posted here the last weeks , is selling a product, a very poor designed product at that.
they must have there heads up their **s if they don't realize the consequences of the non existing customer after sales or warranty being posted on rennlist, i doubt anybody from rennlist will buy another headunit from them after reading this.

unless they step up and give full refunds to the people that bought the "top model" and clearly all have the same issues...

a good company would atleast send out another headunit that doesn't have these issues, they don't even bother, they are more concerned not needing to give a refund, scamming the customers.

Last edited by T0m; 05-15-2023 at 05:59 AM.
vokain (06-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!