Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When bore scoring isn't (997.2 bore scoring fear)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019 | 01:44 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
PPI performed. Was told engine performed and sounded normally. It does seem to perform normally, with a very slight misfire just off idle only. Can’t believe this was thought to sound ‘normal’
My statement/question was directed toward MexicBlueTurboS.

Any news/updates on whats going on with the knocking sound from your engine??
Old 07-23-2019 | 03:37 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Wow never heard that story--->Can't trust anyone selling a car unless they are RL member or similar. **Did you have PPI performed??
PPI would have found the engine noise in the current op's engine I believe. Hard to miss it.
I'm really hoping OP gets good news.

This was a 1966 912. Los Angeles - Spring of 1992. Car seemed to run well enough and I was told the sounds were normal for a Porsche. It was a 1600 mile trip where the car just got weaker and weaker every day.

There are some RLs I'd probably buy from but like friends and relatives, it's best to have an independent 3rd party to prevent misunderstandings or popularity contests if something goes south.
Old 07-23-2019 | 04:51 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

From the mechanic:

We have inspected and tested the following and find no indicators of wear or a problem. The slight knocking noise is still very present and will need a full tear down to locate.

We have scoped all cylinders, no adverse wear.

We have removed the drive belt to eliminate all ancillary items, no change

We have removed and replaced the chain tensioners, no change in noise, originals re-installed.

We listened to all areas of engine and determined the noise is coming from driver side rear of the engine area.

At this time, if you would like to scope the lower sections of the cylinders from the oil pan side it would require an additional 12 hours of labor.

I think this would be unnecessary as the upper portions look OK.

Please advise as to what you would like to do from here.
Old 07-23-2019 | 04:53 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

From the mechanic:

We have inspected and tested the following and find no indicators of wear or a problem. The slight knocking noise is still very present and will need a full tear down to locate.

We have scoped all cylinders, no adverse wear.

We have removed the drive belt to eliminate all ancillary items, no change

We have removed and replaced the chain tensioners, no change in noise, originals re-installed.

We listened to all areas of engine and determined the noise is coming from driver side rear of the engine area.

At this time, if you would like to scope the lower sections of the cylinders from the oil pan side it would require an additional 12 hours of labor.

I think this would be unnecessary as the upper portions look OK.

Please advise as to what you would like to do from here.
Now, my understanding is that bore scoring on the 9A1 is often from the lower portion of the cylinder bore, and thus can only be seen with the piston at tdc to see the lower bore where the piston skirt lives....really need sim guidance here as I have this deadline on the warranty.
Old 07-23-2019 | 04:55 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

whoa whoa....12hrs?? Time for Jake to pipe in
Old 07-23-2019 | 05:03 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
whoa whoa....12hrs?? Time for Jake to pipe in
Jake has made it clear he's not one to step on toes of a competitor, and thus won't be weighing in here. Unfortunately, I'm on the clock here. I'm probably going to have to just swallow the 12 hours of labor and go ahead with it, as otherwise I won't have any recourse if there is a scored bore on the lower portion of one of the driver's side bank of cylinders. Open to any more insight here
Old 07-23-2019 | 05:09 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

When i was investigating with my pan off this is what it looks like in there. Oil pump is in the way and cant really see much. All the labor is probably for removing the oil pump which is run by a chain which would probably require to remove the tensioners which they had already done so. I would call other shops and see what they charge to scope from the bottom.

Attachment 1345746
The following 2 users liked this post by bronz:
I am the Walrus (07-23-2019), RacerWannabe (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019 | 05:16 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

I think in one of Jake's borescoring videos there is guidance/instruction on how to do this on the 9A1 and maybe a workaround? Worthwhile for you to search that out, but 12 hours seems excessive. Maybe you can contact Flat 6 personally for at least a confirmation on the amount of hours/time to do this. Maybe even contact LN engineering - they are all good guys at both shops from what I have read, and experienced on this forum.
Old 07-23-2019 | 05:22 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Now, my understanding is that bore scoring on the 9A1 is often from the lower portion of the cylinder bore, and thus can only be seen with the piston at tdc to see the lower bore where the piston skirt lives....really need sim guidance here as I have this deadline on the warranty.

My engine sounded exactly what you had in your video, I mean exactly, loud as well. Even the Porsche technician was concerned ( I could see it in his face) turned out to be the tensioner. That's it. Had it replaced and no more loud tick
Old 07-23-2019 | 05:22 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Did you talk to the seller and explain the situation and ask about the warranty?
Old 07-23-2019 | 05:48 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mumbles
My engine sounded exactly what you had in your video, I mean exactly, loud as well. Even the Porsche technician was concerned ( I could see it in his face) turned out to be the tensioner. That's it. Had it replaced and no more loud tick
I hear you and I wish that it was that, but the tensioners etc have already been removed. At this point given that I'm under the gun and need the work done by Friday, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and move forward. Not sure I can find another shop in the area that has enough time to do 12 hours' worth of work prior to Friday...if the bottom end disassembly turns out to come up clean, I guess I'll just drive it and send a UOA regularly. If it turns up with a scoring issue, then I have my answer. @lnengineering - would appreciate any insight if you can lend some...
Old 07-23-2019 | 06:02 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

@RacerWannabe I can promise you this. No one here feels good about this. No one here likes to see this.

It's not like when you see the other guy get pulled over for a ticket, and you're like 'Haha that's one cop who can't get me now'.

We're all susceptible to the randomness of mechanical failures - even when we do everything we can to avoid them.

Really sorry this is your experience right now. All the best.
The following users liked this post:
RacerWannabe (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019 | 06:04 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
@RacerWannabe I can promise you this. No one here feels good about this. No one here likes to see this.

It's not like when you see the other guy get pulled over for a ticket, and you're like 'Haha that's one cop who can't get me now'.

We're all susceptible to the randomness of mechanical failures - even when we do everything we can to avoid them.

Really sorry this is your experience right now. All the best.
I really appreciate it man. I hope to have an answer soon and will certainly share the outcome with you all. If it comes back clean, I'll likely just drive the car, enjoy it, send UOAs and set aside $$ for whatever comes next.
Old 07-23-2019 | 06:07 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronz
When i was investigating with my pan off this is what it looks like in there. Oil pump is in the way and cant really see much. All the labor is probably for removing the oil pump which is run by a chain which would probably require to remove the tensioners which they had already done so. I would call other shops and see what they charge to scope from the bottom.
Thanks @bronz - getting additional estimates for the work would be ideal, but given my timeline here I'm going to go ahead and bite the bullet on the estimated 12 hours...
Old 07-23-2019 | 06:12 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Thats odd. Jakes videos point out that scoring always starts at the bottom of the cylinder and may not be visible at the top of the cylinder until its become severe. However, if you are hearing a knock, you are at defcon 1 so should be seeing signs.

Cant comment on what it takes to scope the bottom of a .2. Anybody know if its possible to turn the crank by hand so you might get a little more context for each cylinder?

Did they check the fuel pump and water pump?

Cant you just return the car under warranty and be done with it?

I would get the mechanic to write in their report that there is confirmed, material and audible defect in engine operation which will require engine tear down to properly diagnose. Give that to the dealer/warranty company as proof and be done with it.

Quick Reply: When bore scoring isn't (997.2 bore scoring fear)