Sponsored by:

Newbie 997 maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM
hroehl
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie 997 maintenance questions

I am a first-time Porsche owner having recently bought an '07 997 Carrera S with 46K miles. Before I drive it, I want to perform (probably overdue) maintenance, and I am using the "Porsche Major Maintenance Checklist" as a reference. I am puzzled that two items are not included on the checklist, and I also did not find much info when searching rennlist.
  1. Is a radiator coolant flush/replacement not necessary under the 997 maintenance schedule (or is coolant only replaced together with a water pump replacement)?
  2. Is a regular fuel filter replacement not necessary?
In advance, thanks for all advice!

Old 03-08-2019, 06:31 PM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If you search you will find a debate on #1 topic. Porsche used a lifetime fluid. Many don’t trust the lifetime declaration and choose to flush and replace. I chose this path with mine when I purchased it. It was an 05 that had original fluid in it.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:46 PM
hroehl
Track Day

Thanks jll1011 - appreciate your advice! I feel better going with the flush/replace.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:48 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I would change cooling along with water pump if no evidence of prior history.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:56 PM
hroehl
Track Day

Thanks kisick! That is solid advice! The water pump is the original pump, and it is on my list to be replaced.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:52 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Just change the coolant with the water pump. They sometimes last over 100,000 and sometimes last 30,000. 50,000 is what most people do it at as preventative maintenance, although mine has 86,000 on it. That will be a summer job.

As for the fuel filter. There really isn’t one. There is a screen over the inlet on the pump and it is a lifetime thing so nothing to replace there.

Replace the plugs and check to see if the coil on the top of the plug is cracked. If so replace it.

Tranny fluid needs changed too. Doesn’t matter if it is an auto or a manual. Manual fluid needs to be very specific fluid.

Brake fluid too.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:58 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 449 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome! I was in your spot two years ago. You will love it. But you cant intro yourself without a pic of the car :-)

I would replace the the pump and fluid. Water pumps on 997s typically need to be replaced every 40k miles or 5yrs. Also inspect the coolant expansion tank for any spider cracks. Ive got a couple writeups on these:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ater-pump.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...sion-tank.html

I would also replace the transmission fluid with Mobilube PTX. Thats supposed to be changed at 100k miles but my experience was this should be changed much sooner.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-all-997s.html

If you are neurotic like the rest of us, you could also drop the oil pan to give yourself peace of mind you have no debris in the oil pickup.

Lastly, if you have any issues with the soft touch paint on the center console or AC switches, those are pretty straightforward to get sorted.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...g-results.html
Old 03-08-2019, 08:15 PM
hroehl
Track Day

doclouie and TheBruce - thanks for the info! I did not realize that the 997 does not have a fuel filter (you learn something new every day.....). Thanks for reminding me about the other fluids; I have them on my radar and they will be replaced next week. The links are very useful too!

Sorry about the picture-less intro - point well taken, though. I need to give her some TLC before attaching a pic.

Being new to this forum, I REALLY appreciate everyone's response and advice!!
Old 03-08-2019, 08:18 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Its a good community and everyone is happy to add their expertise. Thats half the joy of owning these cars.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:22 PM
nbzxdk
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Welcome! I was in your spot two years ago. You will love it. But you cant intro yourself without a pic of the car :-)

I would replace the the pump and fluid. Water pumps on 997s typically need to be replaced every 40k miles or 5yrs. Also inspect the coolant expansion tank for any spider cracks. Ive got a couple writeups on these:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ater-pump.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...sion-tank.html

I would also replace the transmission fluid with Mobilube PTX. Thats supposed to be changed at 100k miles but my experience was this should be changed much sooner.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-all-997s.html

If you are neurotic like the rest of us, you could also drop the oil pan to give yourself peace of mind you have no debris in the oil pickup.

Lastly, if you have any issues with the soft touch paint on the center console or AC switches, those are pretty straightforward to get sorted.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...g-results.html
Thank you very much for the info!

Does the work on replacing water pump also apply to 997.2 PDK? I have faithfully followed Porsche's maintenance schedule but didn't see it mentions anything about water pump. My car currently has 47k miles.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:33 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Forgot to mention flushing the power steering fluid too. If you have a 4 there is also the front differential.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

Get the LN Engineering spin on filter adapter so you can use a metal canister filter - this gets you a new bypass valve spring every oil change.

Get 2 of their magnetic drain plugs. One goes in your oil pan when you do the motor oil change and the other in the lower drain hole of the gearbox when you do that fluid change As TheBruce said - use only Mobillube PTX, not any of your other favorites - seriously. You'll have to mail oder it.

Get the LN low temperature thermostat too and install it when you do the coolant replacement with the water pump change.

Oh, and congrats - welcome to the group.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:30 PM
hroehl
Track Day

TheBruce - finally had the time to read your entire post with "60 Lessons Learned". It is absolutely awesome, contains an incredible amount of super-useful information, and provided helpful perspectives!

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together (as well as your other detailed posts)!
Old 03-10-2019, 10:46 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Ha! Thx. Oh how young and naive I was back then :-)

Old 03-12-2019, 02:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by hroehl
doclouie and TheBruce - thanks for the info! I did not realize that the 997 does not have a fuel filter (you learn something new every day.....). Thanks for reminding me about the other fluids; I have them on my radar and they will be replaced next week. The links are very useful too!

Sorry about the picture-less intro - point well taken, though. I need to give her some TLC before attaching a pic.

Being new to this forum, I REALLY appreciate everyone's response and advice!!
Originally Posted by TheBruce
Its a good community and everyone is happy to add their expertise. Thats half the joy of owning these cars.
Couldn't agree more with Bruce's assessment. The collective depth of knowledge about these cars among the participants here is hard to overstate as is their willingness to share it. Often with detailed, time consuming pictures or even videos in addition to their comments.

Quick Reply: Newbie 997 maintenance questions