Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 09:56 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Exactly what keeps me away from Auto X. It takes ten miles at 70 mph on the freeway to reach temperature and I'm not willing to jump on the throttle before that.

How do people work around this problem at an Auto X?
Can’t you start the car in between runs?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 777 Posts

I thought it was pretty much decided that idling these motors to warm them up creates all kinds of other problems ... Start and drive off gently almost immediately.

Not trying to be difficult here. I'd really like an answer (solution?) regarding how to do an Auto X without risking cold seizure or other damage.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:22 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 421 Posts

For all 26 track days I've had my BS on track, before each session regardless of what temp l the motor is, I start it up and use the throttle to hold the RPM between 1,200 and 1,600 RPM, varying it a bit, but not letting it do a slow idle and not zapping the throttle to zing RPM up. I do this until my Cobb AP shows engine oil and water temp are above ~205 and then I select sport plus mode and let the engine idle. Sport or sport plus mode idles at 800 RPM instead of 625. This 205+ temp usually occurs while sitting on the grid waiting to go out, but if something causes a long delay after I start idling in sport plus mode, say more than 5 minutes, I shut the engine down. The first 2 miles or so on track, I keep RPM below 5,000 RPM and don't use full throttle. Then I hammer it but always (almost always) upshift at 7,000 RPM even though redline is 7,800. Because there isn't much power increase above 7,000 anyway, and there's no sense stressing the engine internals. Forces and friction increase exponentially with RPM.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 943 Posts

Auto X.... I had the same question back when I was tracking..... you would all sit around... sometimes it was just cold.. with a coat on..... you wait until your run group comes up.... idle through the paddock .... sit in line idling, and then FULL THROTTLE..YEEEHAAA!!!!~.. hmmm.... no way were any of the cars warmed up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-11-2019, 02:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I thought it was pretty much decided that idling these motors to warm them up creates all kinds of other problems ... Start and drive off gently almost immediately.

Not trying to be difficult here. I'd really like an answer (solution?) regarding how to do an Auto X without risking cold seizure or other damage.
Starting and idling is only an issue when the engine is cold and runs rich. You can idle all you want once it is warm and the mixture is normal.

To autox... drive to the track and warm the car. Keep it warm while it is there. By warm I mean oil temp correct and full engine block warm.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Try driving your car in manual, using the shifter like you would change in a stick shift. Engine warms up a lot quicker than in automatic when your in 6th gear 100 yds from where you set off.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Starting and idling is only an issue when the engine is cold and runs rich. You can idle all you want once it is warm and the mixture is normal.

To autox... drive to the track and warm the car. Keep it warm while it is there. By warm I mean oil temp correct and full engine block warm.
Bingo.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Try driving your car in manual, using the shifter like you would change in a stick shift. Engine warms up a lot quicker than in automatic when your in 6th gear 100 yds from where you set off.
I have observed that as well. But, in automatic mode you are warming the engine and oil up in as gentle a manner as possible. Which is better for these engines?
Old 05-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Just sayin, that if you had a manual trans in your car the oil and engine would warm up quicker than a PDK trans. Probably the PDK is set up for max fuel economy, as when I drive my car in manual I use a lot more fuel.

Bottom line is that these engines are meant to be driven.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,211 Likes on 777 Posts

Good info all!!! Thanks 8)
Old 05-12-2019, 02:35 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
LSPI (or detonation for that matter) can cause damage to the piston including the piston skirts, so anything is possible.

Rod/stroke ratios, piston skirt size/cam profile, piston offsets, crank angles, etc. all have play in this. Lots of variables with many unknowns and assumptions.

We made one observations early on with Cayenne and 9A1 engines - the pistons have a very hefty pin offset. With the M96/M97, we were able to make the pistons with no offset without having piston noise. We tried this with the Cayenne and 9A1 and the engines sounded like a Porsche diesel tractor. We ended up having to put the offsets into the pistons, leading me to believe (again my opinion) that the forces acting upon the pistons at BDC are greater in these engines due to possibly less favorable engine geometry and lower rod/stroke ratios.

Historically, Porsche has used a fixed deck height (with aircooled and watercooled engines alike) which means as the crank stroke increases, piston pin location must be moved further up towards the top of the piston, resulting in shorter pistons, and typically shorter rods, which results in less favorable rod/stroke ratios. The higher the rod/stroke ratio, the lower the cylinder wear and piston side loading.
Will be interesting to see if the base 3.6 9a1 with the longer stroke is more prone to issues than the s 3.8 as they both use the same rod correct? Although I would bet skirt length relative to bore diameter also factors in which would work the other way against the s 3.8.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Just sayin, that if you had a manual trans in your car the oil and engine would warm up quicker than a PDK trans. Probably the PDK is set up for max fuel economy, as when I drive my car in manual I use a lot more fuel.

Bottom line is that these engines are meant to be driven.
Depends on how you use the the PDK. If you use auto mode in a non sport chrono car or leave it in normal mode in a SC car then your scenario would probably be about right. But there's no reason to drive like that. Any PDK car can be shiftred it like a manual in manual mode, with or without SC. I have SC with my PDK and warm it up in auto/sport mode. Seems to work about right with shift points around 3,000-4,000 rpm. Once the oil is warmed up I go to manual/sport plus mode.

So I see no good reason to ever be in auto/normal mode with a PDK car with or without SC. How can being in 6th gear at 30 mph and just below 1,500 rpm be healthy for the engine even when warming up? Lugging comes to mind. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ad-for-engine/
Old 05-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Balr14
I have observed that as well. But, in automatic mode you are warming the engine and oil up in as gentle a manner as possible. Which is better for these engines?
Its better to have both: higher RPMs circulate oil and water faster without putting too much load/stress on the engine. When I say higher, I mean between 2,000-3,000, as opposed to 1500-2500.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:34 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Perhaps Porsche should hire some BMW engineers that know a thing or 2 about the BMW's flat twin engines, or at the very least identify what the root cause of the Porsche's flat 6 engine problems.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:43 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Perhaps Porsche should hire some BMW engineers that know a thing or 2 about the BMW's flat twin engines, or at the very least identify what the root cause of the Porsche's flat 6 engine problems.
BMW reliability, kind of an oxymoron.

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure