Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016 | 02:58 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trendy996
If your budget is low it's just stupid to buy a German car regardless it's class
Especially a higher mileage used one....
Old 01-27-2016 | 03:14 PM
rezilient
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trendy996
If your budget is low it's just stupid to buy a German car regardless it's class
I disagree. If this is your 3rd or 4th vehicle and you intend to wrench on it, you can theoretically get an amazing deal without worrying about wear/tear issues and slowly restore that car back to (near) it's original condition (or close to it).

Of course, if you intend to have a car that you never drive (ie. garage queen) then you should probably look for a low mileage, pristine vehicle.
Old 01-27-2016 | 03:24 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Your wrong in that on average even when modding your better off buying a nicer lower mile car and doing your own mods unless your confident in who did previous work and how much flogging the car has endured. Restoring a car-house or anything else is on average a losing proposition and your better off letting someone else take the hit. I know in that I have restored many cars and have always lost money- fun when young but you see the stupidity of it with age= I still do it with homes but at least now I know its stupid lol. A car with mods can save money and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a few of the cars owned by forum members but most no.
Old 01-27-2016 | 03:33 PM
rezilient
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
Your wrong in that on average even when modding your better off buying a nicer lower mile car and doing your own mods unless your confident in who did previous work and how much flogging the car has endured. Restoring a car-house or anything else is on average a losing proposition and your better off letting someone else take the hit. I know in that I have restored many cars and have always lost money- fun when young but you see the stupidity of it with age= I still do it with homes but at least now I know its stupid lol. A car with mods can save money and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a few of the cars owned by forum members but most no.
Maybe I didn't explain correctly. I'm not talking about modding or adding go-fast parts. I mean taking a car with reasonable wear for it's age and restoring it back to it's original luster. I wouldn't think car guys consider restoring a car a losing proposition. It's a hobby, and yes maybe it's an expensive hobby. Maybe I'm just an oddity but I'd rather buy a car that needs SOME work and TLC rather than buy a pristine vehicle and walk (drive?) on egg shells to keep it that way. Cars are for driving. Driving these cars results in wear and tear. I personally don't want to buy a car just for investment purposes or to keep it in the garage. There is a different kind of person buying those under-20K cars and then probably don't drive them, and that ain't me. But to each his own.
Old 01-27-2016 | 04:03 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

A 996t at this time is not a car to restore but that's an opinion. If I wanted a car to restore I would buy a e30 M3 or older 911sc say. Believe it or not 50k is on the cheaper side for a car purchase and the last thing I do is walk on shells around any car. Cars are not investments for most but a person still needs to use common sense.
Old 01-27-2016 | 06:16 PM
88mmm
Instructor

A 996t at this time is not a car to restore but that's an opinion. If I wanted a car to restore I would buy a e30 M3 or older 911sc say. Believe it or not 50k is on the cheaper side for a car purchase and the last thing I do is walk on shells around any car. Cars are not investments for most but a person still needs to use common sense.
Funny you say that. I purchased an e30 M3 14 years ago for $8000. At that time nobody wanted them because of the 4 cyl and the newer more powerful e36 and coming e46. I got to drive the car and enjoy it for 14 years., 68K miles and all I did was annual oil changes, 10,000 tune ups, and one brake job. I sold it in June for more than 4 times what I paid and it had minor rust and a worn out interior. I see the same thing happening to the bastard child 996 tt 15 years down the road. It may not be an investment but it's a great 3rd car that can give years of fun for little layout over time if properly maintained. In the short term we will see prices drop as the air cooled market cools off and interest rates rise.
Old 01-27-2016 | 06:37 PM
rezilient
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 88mmm
Funny you say that. I purchased an e30 M3 14 years ago for $8000. At that time nobody wanted them because of the 4 cyl and the newer more powerful e36 and coming e46. I got to drive the car and enjoy it for 14 years., 68K miles and all I did was annual oil changes, 10,000 tune ups, and one brake job. I sold it in June for more than 4 times what I paid and it had minor rust and a worn out interior. I see the same thing happening to the bastard child 996 tt 15 years down the road. It may not be an investment but it's a great 3rd car that can give years of fun for little layout over time if properly maintained. In the short term we will see prices drop as the air cooled market cools off and interest rates rise.
That's so cool that you got to enjoy the car and STILL cash in for more than what you paid. To me that is icing on the cake really.

I know we're way off topic but... I sold my 2002 E39 M5 last year (Lemans Blue, 6 speed, pretty much stock) after owning it for just 3 years and just broke even (after putting in a new clutch and various other maintenance items). I considered that an accomplishment considering I got to enjoy it for 3 solid years. Perhaps if I kept it another 10 years it may have been worth something significant. Maybe this time I'll hold on for a bit longer if I do end up getting the 996TT, since I'm fairly sure they will at least hold value (at a minimum).
Old 01-27-2016 | 06:57 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

88mmm how many miles on your M3 at time of purchase and from my math you drove less than 5k a year. 8000 even 14 years ago was cheap for a e30 M3. If a person bought a nice low mile 996t and drove 5k a year I would guess in 14 years they would make their costs back and then some. Curious why you didn't do more upkeep on your M3 like interior etc= they deserve good care- great car.
Old 01-27-2016 | 07:01 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atrox
He painted the rear bumper black because he "likes it". I call bs he just couldn't afford to paint it after he got in an undocumented accident.

Agree. Who the hell likes that two tone crap. Unless it,'s the same guy who bought the blood red 993.
Old 01-27-2016 | 07:02 PM
danspach
Instructor

Originally Posted by 88mmm

Same here. Mine was the white one on BaT in December. I only owned mine for 8 years but enjoyed working on it, learning everything about it and driving it. I'll miss changing plugs by just opening the hood but looking forward to all the other elements of owning a 996tt.

Will have to edit my signature soon (hopefully this weekend).
Old 01-27-2016 | 07:09 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

I would have kept the M3 guys and bought the 996t as a stable mate.
Old 01-27-2016 | 07:22 PM
danspach
Instructor

I've been instructed by my wife to find another car to have as a project. She wants me to teach my daughters how to work on cars for a better understanding of things mechanical.

Really doesn't get much better than that.

Considering a 996 c2 among, oh, say 40 other "possibilities".
Old 01-27-2016 | 08:16 PM
88mmm
Instructor

I would have kept the M3 guys and bought the 996t as a stable mate.
If I had the loot of course I would've kept it. To be honest it's not much fun driving an appreciating clasic near its peek value. Your one deer away from hurting the value when you have all original pannels. Also parts become nla and parts prices (new and used) skyrocket with the prices of the car. It kind of kills the joy of owning it. That's part of the reason I sold it and stopped driving it much. I did average about 5k a year mostly due to the fact that to avoid salt where I live you have to store the car October to May. Back in the early 2000 you could by e30 m3 all-day in the 6k to 10k range. Mine had a fresh rebuild and engine out paint job lol. She was in great condition mechanicly I just didn't want to spend the coin on cosmetics when I knew it was going to be time to sell.

I'm very happy with my decision. I love my 996 tt and plan to own it for many years.
Old 01-29-2016 | 06:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Any info or thoughts on this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111876870046?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thanks.
Old 01-31-2016 | 01:44 PM
jegermiester
Advanced

For those that are into the "anything but stock" mindset....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Porsche-911-G...E:B:SS:CA:3160

The jegermiester :P

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds