Originally Posted by THP23
Spoke with the seller, having a PPI done this week
welp apparently I was too slow...car sold
Old 07-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
wow, is that thing clean. 22K mile Seal Gray over black is not gonna go cheap, that's for sure.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,560 Posts

welp apparently I was too slow...car sold
That car was $10k underpriced.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:06 PM
THP23
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
That car was $10k underpriced.
Which is why I jumped on it right away. Offered to place a deposit on the car after speaking with the owner (actually I insisted lol) and he declined. I'm down in Florida so it would have been a trek to the opposite side of the country but I would have happily done so. My search continues...

car had 51k miles
Tubi exhaust
HREs
Coilovers
Short shifter
softronics tune
GT3 clutch (replaced 2016)
997 seats (no electronics hooked up)
broken cup holder
cracked carbon fiber on the steering wheel.
-Me, really sad this didnt work out lol

Last edited by THP23; 07-10-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Nyuofa
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
wow, is that thing clean. 22K mile Seal Gray over black is not gonna go cheap, that's for sure.
Does Seal Gray command a higher price than silver? Or, less Seal Gray turbos in the wild, so it tends to be in higher demand? I see many more silver and black turbos for sale, than any other color.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:20 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Yup. Seal Grey isn't rare, as it was one of the standard offerings, but it's definitely less common than black or silver.

Even the supple leather looks good on that car.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:35 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Which is why I jumped on it right away. Offered to place a deposit on the car after speaking with the owner (actually I insisted lol) and he declined. I'm down in Florida so it would have been a trek to the opposite side of the country but I would have happily done so. My search continues...

car had 51k miles
Tubi exhaust
HREs
Coilovers
Short shifter
softronics tune
GT3 clutch (replaced 2016)
997 seats (no electronics hooked up)
broken cup holder
cracked carbon fiber on the steering wheel.
-Me, really sad this didnt work out lol
Ah, that sucks. When I bought mine, I offered a "non-refundable deposit" of $1,000 for him to hold it. So, if for any reason I didn't go through with the deal, he got to keep the $1,000. That car above was such a sweet deal it would have been worth the same offer.

On mine, I was in KC and the seller & car were in NYC. I spoke with him, his mechanic and did some due diligence that made me comfortable enough to offer the non-refundable deposit. I wouldn't do that very often, but I had been watching the market intently for 6 months and knew it was a hell of a deal. It came on the market at 7:00 am and I had the deposit wired by 2:00 pm the same day. Otherwise, I would not have gotten the car.

That X50 that just sold - you only see deals like that maybe once a year. It was so underpriced that it almost seemed like a scam ad.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:02 PM
THP23
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Ah, that sucks. When I bought mine, I offered a "non-refundable deposit" of $1,000 for him to hold it. So, if for any reason I didn't go through with the deal, he got to keep the $1,000. That car above was such a sweet deal it would have been worth the same offer.

On mine, I was in KC and the seller & car were in NYC. I spoke with him, his mechanic and did some due diligence that made me comfortable enough to offer the non-refundable deposit. I wouldn't do that very often, but I had been watching the market intently for 6 months and knew it was a hell of a deal. It came on the market at 7:00 am and I had the deposit wired by 2:00 pm the same day. Otherwise, I would not have gotten the car.

That X50 that just sold - you only see deals like that maybe once a year. It was so underpriced that it almost seemed like a scam ad.
Ya i'm not sure what else I could have done aside from like you said, offer a non-refundable deposit on the car. Being that all I had was Craigslist ad without any pictures and 5 crappy cell phone pictures of the car, I dont' know if I would have offered the $1000 non-refundable. I offered 3 or 4 times to put a deposit down and he declined so it may have made no difference. Maybe he wasn't comfortable with me buying the car being on the other side of the country?
Oh well, there will be more....but I was pretty grumpy today haha
Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Sometimes there is just no good way to jump on a great deal that isn't local...

I'm o.k. with even skipping a PPI to lock down a great car at a good price, but only if I can put eyes on it myself. I've looked at way to many cars where the description of condition wasn't even close to reality.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:47 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes me think of that gorgeous white one that was WAY underpriced a few months back. Anyone know what happened to that one in the end??
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Sometimes there is just no good way to jump on a great deal that isn't local...

I'm o.k. with even skipping a PPI to lock down a great car at a good price, but only if I can put eyes on it myself. I've looked at way to many cars where the description of condition wasn't even close to reality.
I have boought both my 996 TTs from thousands of miles away -- sight unseen. I had the sales people (both were at dealerships) video the cars - cold start, various functions; and supplement with close-up detai photos. Both cars were better than anticipated -- with no immediate needs except a malfunctioning driver's seat preset. I don't recommend that for everyone, but the main mechanical structurs of these cars are incredibly reliable. The risk is in ancillary systems like generators, water pumps, spoiler rams, etc.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyuofa
Does Seal Gray command a higher price than silver? Or, less Seal Gray turbos in the wild, so it tends to be in higher demand? I see many more silver and black turbos for sale, than any other color.
No, I don't think Seal Gray commands a premium over any other colors, but Seal Gray came with many interior colors, including light gray, light brown, and red. IMO, Seal Gray over Black is the most desirable / mainstream, and the combo where most would have the least objections.

Seal Gray isn't rare, maybe less common than silver but it's definitely not as scarce as the blues, yellows, and reds (white goes without saying).

So back to my original comments, a 22K mile SG over black X50 car should do well. And yes, even that 'supple' leather looks great. Time will tell on the final price, but I can't imagine it going for less than $60-65K.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 PM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I am considering a quick sale of mine for $35000

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...609345463.html

email me through the CL ad

Last edited by nelsontod; 07-13-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:36 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nelsontod
I am considering a quick sale of mine for 28500
nelsontod:
Post it up over on 996outpost.com too. When your car came up for sale originally, I posted it up over there, and then you quickly bought it so it was off the market. But, the general consensus was that it was a really good deal. After all, 177k miles on a 996TT is not really all that much compared with the ones we've seen topping the 500k mile mark. Now, with all of the time and money you've spent on it, I think $28,500 is also a very good deal. At that price, there may be some guys looking at regular 996s that would want to get into a turbo. You've documented very well the good and the bad with that car on here, so anyone interested can find out everything they want to know about it by looking at the threads you started.

It's a beautiful car and the Metropol Blue leather interior is a nice (and significant) plus. For somebody who wants a tippy (and there are buyers who specifically want a tiptronic for a number of reasons), who plans on using it only occasionally (like on weekends), and doesn't want to drop $45k to $50k on a playtoy to drive 3,000 or so miles per year, it is a great option. You just need to find the right buyer. I think a price starting with a "2" is very key to getting it sold, and I think $28,500 is in the right ballpark. Now, if you could get that radio functioning properly, I think that would help a lot.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:22 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Here's a nice one that just got posted yesterday on the Kansas City Craigslist - car is located in Omaha. Black over natural brown interior, 6 speed coupe. Nice mods. 112k miles. Asking $42,000. I feel like it should sell more for around $35k-$36k, but no doubt it is a beautiful car with lots of nice upgrades and a little bling.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ct...640634328.html

2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
VIN: WP0AB29984S685239
Odometer : 112, 701
Exterior Color : Black
Interior Color : Natural Brown
Drivetrain : All Wheel Drive
Transmission : 6 Speed Manual

California car up until 102k miles. Rust and corrosion free. Over $140k new.

600 AWHP - PCCB - 6 Speed Manual - K24/18G - Markski Tuned - Electric Sport Seats - Etc.

Modifications: (Most of the items done over the last 5,000 miles)

-Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers
-EPS Thrust Arms
-Powergrid Adjustable Front Swaybar Links (Custom Length For PSS9's)
-H&R Adjustable 25mm Front Swaybar w/ Bushings
-MEYLE HD Front Lower Control Arms
-OEM Porsche Front Upper Strut Mounts w/ Bearings
-TRW Tie Rod Assemblies & Steering Rack Boots w/ Clamps
-Phoenix Exhaust 45mm Big Port Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifolds
-BorgWarner K24/18g Turbochargers
-Markski Tuning 4.5" Race Intercoolers
-Markski Tuning Flex Intake
-Markski Tuning Flow Matched Injectors & Adaptors
-Europipe Exhaust w/ Decat
-CSF Aluminum Radiators w/ New Hoses & O-Rings
-Forge Boost Hoses & w/T-Bolt Clamps
-Markski Tuning 93 Octane Tune (Comes With Loader & All Tunes)
-All New Vacuum Lines Zip Tied / Clamped
-Latest Part Number BERU Ignition Coils
-NGK 4853 PFR7B Laser Platinum Spark Plugs
-Billet Diverter Valves
-1 Bar Wastegates
-Fikse GT2 Spec Wheels
-Toyo R888 235/40/18 Front Tires (2,000 Miles)
-Toyo R888R 315/35/18 Rear Tires (Less than 500 Miles)
-GT2 4 Wheel Alignment w/ Spec Sheet
-Front Diff Service w/ MOTUL Gear 300 75W90 GL5
-Gearbox Service w/ MOTUL Gear 300 75W90 GL5
-Cooling System Flush / Fill At The Same Time As Radiator's
-Brake System Flush w/ ATE Typ 200 Performance Brake Fluid
-Motor Oil Change w/ MOTUL X-Cess 5W40 & MAHLE Filter
-Torque Solutions Engine Mounts
-New Hood & Trunk Support Struts
-GT3 RS Light Weight Flywheel 4
-GT3 4.0 Clutch Kit & GT2 Slave Conversion
-997 Short Shifter
-GT2 Replica Deck Lid w/ Adjustable Wing
-Debadged Turbo Emblem
-AERO Front Lip Painted Black
-Front Bumper / Hood / Deck Lid Repainted Professionally In April 2017
-15% Window Tint On Sides & Rear - 35% Front Windshield
-New Genuine Windshield Cowl w/ Seal & Screw Caps
-New Genuine Frunk Latch Trim
-New Genuine 3rd Brake Light Assembly
-New Genuine Porsche Valve Stem Caps
-New Porsche Oxygen Sensors
-VOSSTEK Aluminum Pedal Covers w/ Dead Pedal
-ECS Tuning Stud Conversion

There are probably other things I am forgetting.

No 2nd gear pop-out, no grinding and no clutch issues. The transmission feels excellent and so does the clutch. Clutch setup has roughly 10,000 miles on it. Suspension is nice and tight, feels super good after the refresh and alignment. All PCCB rotors are in good shape and crack free. Pads were replaced by previous owner before I bought the car - plenty of life. No leaks or smoking. Typical 996TT oil consumption. Engine pulls strong and has a healthy oil analysis. Oil just changed and all fluids topped off. She is ready for the new owner. Exterior presents itself very well especially for being a 13-year-old black car. I had the hood and front bumper completely stripped and repainted due to rock chips over the years and added a AERO lip which was color matched. The deck lid is a MISHA unit and was poorly painted / prepped when done by previous owner so I had that stripped, re-enforced, and painted. Looks excellent now. All wheels are in good shape with not curb rash. Tires are new however the fronts are Toyo R888 and rears are Toyo R888R. I purchased the fronts a few months before the rears and once I was ready to buy rears the R888 were no longer available.

Exterior has a couple small dings that I planned to have my PDR guy take care of (still can). Interior is very clean and well preserved but the stitching is coming apart in a couple places on the seats. Previous owner failed to tell me about this before I drove up to buy the car, and I wasn't very happy about it. I was planning to have Classic 9 re-upholster both front seats with Alcantara centers over winter (was quoted $1850.00), and still will if the car does not sell.

Negatives :

-Sticker Gauge Faces On Instrument Cluster Bubbling (Common)
-Driver Seat Bolster Stitching Coming Apart
-Driver Seat Lower Stitching Coming Apart (Was Going To Have Re-Done This Winter)
-Some Wear On Shift ****

I have a box full of random stock parts that come with the car if desired. No turbos, no clutch kit, no shifter. Stock wheel not available.

Very fun and incredible 996TT. Perfectly set up for a street car and I grin every time I drive the beast. Thinking of another project after winter so considering the sale of my favorite car. Blackstone oil analysis available upon request that was just completed. Drove it 2500 miles to North Carolina and back in May and the car performed wonderfully. Currently I drive it once a week and it sits in the garage under a car cover most of the time.

Vehicle sold with no warranty.

$42,000

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds