NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
That doesn't appear to be the release Porsche sent its dealers. Additionally, what was written in the post you linked did not say that Porsche had stated that after 2010 the glue was OK.

Edit: I posted this prior to your edit...
Old 05-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dock Seek help- say what you will- It's irrelevant at this point.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
You don't see what my point was to him? Okay.....

And while you're here, do you have any answers to the questions I asked you?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
BTW, did you read jcb's reply to my question before his edit?? I made a reply before his edit, and clarified that I had done so in an immediate follow up post.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
And while you're here, do you have any answers to the questions I asked you?
Bump.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dock,

So you are saying the PCA of Ohio is making up that note? These are Porsche loving souls.

I don't understand your logic.

Anyway, why would Porsche change a design that would fix something that was not broken. We're talking tube connections...not something they'd invest in..... These are people that left the basic engine (Metzger) design alone for a long, long time...they don't change engineering things lightly. Not at the engine level....

Anyway, NHTSA will get to the bottom of it and that is that.

In the meantime, join PCA and perhaps do a DE. I cannot imagine being properly insightful of a forum on a Porsche site without that knowledge. (cut out stuff...just too many things and I don't believe in attacking people for their beliefs...who knows, maybe Porsche did not mean to hid the fix they made...)

jeff
Old 05-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So you are saying the PCA of Ohio is making up that note?
No. I don't even insinuate that. I asked if you had a copy of the Porsche release you could post here, and it appears you don't.

Why do you have a problem with someone wanting to read the source document (the Porsche "information release" to the dealers)??

In the meantime, join PCA and perhaps do a DE.
No thanks.

I cannot imagine being properly insightful of a forum on a Porsche site without that knowledge.
I don't need to have tracked my Turbo before being insightful.

BTW, what's your guess as to the percentage of current Porsche owners world wide who have tracked their cars?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Dock,

I have no idea and can admit openly that I don't know something...I commented on things with you because you bring up "track use" seemingly to cover all ends of justifying engine failure. I don't agree with you on that as I don't think you know what you're talking about. Let's agree to disagree. Air force experience is irrelevant. I have a lot of experience too in things mechanical. Let's leave it there. The tone you have taken in this thread has disappointed me a great deal.

The cars are meant for driving hard. Can we at least agree on that?

Some other issues we could discuss:
2nd gear pop out on the tranny is something I had to fix too, pcm computer failure..., pentosin from the clutch/accumulator design, many fix the rear spoiler..I replaced mine with a fixed unit thus avoiding the problem.......design flaws all IMHO. Never heard anything about that from NHTSA because it was something less dangerous to others in each case...the pentosin was and is a fire hazard so I am not so sure that would not cross the line, but that is another issue.

The coolant failure being discussed is a SUDDEN failure with loss of car control possible. As such, it crosses the line in my book. It leaves a slick area behind the car causing others on the road a sudden hazard as well. I am very, very happy that NHTSA is on this and I hope Porsche gets nailed as they have seeming knowledge of the subject and went ahead and came up with a solution. I have an issue with that. Some may not. But one would think a company that was founded by a man who ingratiated a certain mass murderer and his regime would feel a moral compunction to do the right thing when given the chance going forward.

I truly hope we all get our coolant lines fixed. Porsche made enough money on these cars to more than cover that oops. Frankly, it would have been a nice gesture....that they failed to make. That is not lost on people.

I am beginning to regret my Porsche ownership to be honest and how they handle this will directly impact my feeling about the company going forward. Many people I know feel the same way....and no, I don't plan to give you numbers or percentages on that either.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 05-27-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:54 AM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1, excellent statements
Dock,

I have no idea and can admit openly that I don't know something...I commented on things with you because you bring up "track use" seemingly to cover all ends of justifying engine failure. I don't agree with you on that as I don't think you know what you're talking about. Let's agree to disagree. Air force experience is irrelevant. I have a lot of experience too in things mechanical. Let's leave it there. The tone you have taken in this thread has disappointed me a great deal.

2nd gear pop out on the tranny is something I had to fix too, pcm computer failure..., pentosin from the clutch/accumulator design, many fix the rear spoiler..I replaced mine with a fixed unit thus avoiding the problem.......design flaws all IMHO. Never heard anything about that from NHTSA because it was something less dangerous to others in each case...the pentosin was and is a fire hazard so I am not so sure that would not cross the line, but that is another issue.

The coolant failure being discussed is a SUDDEN failure with loss of car control possible. As such, it crosses the line in my book. It leaves a slick area behind the car causing others on the road a sudden hazard as well. I am very, very happy that NHTSA is on this and I hope Porsche gets nailed as they have seeming knowledge of the subject and went ahead and came up with a solution. I have an issue with that. Some may not. But one would think a company that was founded by a many who ingratiated a certain mass murderer and his regime would feel a moral compunction to do the right thing when given the chance going forward.

I truly hope we all get our coolant lines fixed. Porsche made enough money on these cars to more than cover that oops. Frankly, it would have been a nice gesture....that they failed to make. That is not lost on people.

I am beginning to regret my Porsche ownership to be honest and how they handle this will directly impact my feeling about the company going forward. Many people I know feel the same way....and no, I don't plan to give you numbers or percentages on that either.

Jeff
Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I commented on things with you because you bring up "track use" seemingly to cover all ends of justifying engine failure.
What specific things that you commented on are you talking about?

And when did the topic change to "engine failures"?

Air force experience is irrelevant.
It is not. The processes and logic used in determining the root cause or causes is germane whether the topic is aircraft or cars.

The tone you have taken in this thread has disappointed me a great deal.
Wow. That's heavy stuff.

Driving hard as in tracking the car? But of course. That's exactly why Porsche includes track use in their warranty coverage, as they designed the car for the track and intend it to see as much track time as possible, with any mechanical failures being covered on their dime during the warranty period.

Additionally, since Porsche advertises the 996 Turbo will do 0-60 mph in X.X seconds, they also expect owners to do as many drop clutch launches from 4000 RPM as they can. Porsche of course doesn't expect that there will be any immediate or long term issues with this kind of use.

Porsche made enough money on these cars to more than cover that oops.
Those greedy profit mongers! Who are they to force all of us to spend our money buying their cars. My arm still hurts from all their twisting.

I am beginning to regret my Porsche ownership to be honest and how they handle this will directly impact my feeling about the company going forward.
Then I have a suggestion for you. Get rid of your Porsche and buy a cheap beater car to drive on the street. Then buy a sports car that you can afford to turn into a dedicated track car and that can be taken to the track on a trailer. I think you'll be much happier.

BTW, can you tell me why you have issues with someone wanting to read source documents?

Last edited by Dock; 05-26-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The coolant failure being discussed is a SUDDEN failure with loss of car control possible.
couldn't agree more with the above, and the last sentence seems a perfectly reasonable basis for an investigation. failing spoilers and accumulators wouldn't be.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:33 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Dock,

I read about the docs here or on a similar site. I never said I had them. Maybe someone was speculating or even lying. I don't know.

Not sure you get it. This is about safety, not about a person being detail perfect. Do you get it. Why are you fighting everyone on this board...? That is not the way a moderator should be IMHO.

Perhaps you need to contact the head of the OH PCA and ask them for the source documents. You are in Atlanta - drive down to PCNA and ask for them....you are the original owner of a 996tt...see how far that gets you in their attention meter....

This person is a big PCA safety person and he ran a zone 2 event at VIR...great guy:

http://www.nnjr-pca.com/index.php?op...cles&Itemid=55

Best. I can see stress on parts like brake pads and disks at track being an issue...but water pipes...come on man. That is pathetic.

Jeff
Old 05-27-2013, 01:00 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

PS:

Oh heck, I edited this as I don't have the heart to keep going.

PPS: Thank you NHTSA for looking after the safety of all of us, especially those next to and behind us on the road.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:12 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I read about the docs here or on a similar site.
I simply asked if you had a copy of the release that you could post up here, and all you had to do was answer "No". How hard would that have been for you to do??

Not sure you get it.
Oh, I get alright. It's the Air Force training thing.

You are in Atlanta - drive down to PCNA and ask for them....you are the original owner of a 996tt...see how far that gets you in their attention meter....
I don't have to drive down to PCNA headquarters, I just pick up my phone and call my good friend who is a Vice President there. We talk often. And BTW, we were friends before I bought my Turbo.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Why are you fighting everyone on this board...? That is not the way a moderator should be IMHO.
I'm not fighting anyone. I discussing cars.

And I'm not a moderator.

Quick Reply: NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages