Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ yep
Old 03-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I have a modified 2001 996tt that got a ton of track days and it has never blown a fitting. Guess they used better glue in 2001.
It is hit or miss.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:09 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
They are a very poor design, and will fail more frequently due to the age and heat cycle of the vehicle. Not all eight of them will fail on one car at once at any time ever, but I would speculate that there are many cars that have the same fitting fail from tension pulling he fitting out of it's glued resting place.

This is not a thread to scare people, just one simply stating the facts. These facts state that the adhesive sealer that porsche uses in the manufacturing of these parts is not up to the task of holding these parts together, and they are failing. This elementary design flaw should not happen PERIOD. There are many other ways to make a transition from an aluminum casting to change to a barbed fitting, and glueing without interference fit with this adhesive has proven not to be a good one.
Not trying to be difficult, but Everything you discuss here is hypotheses NOT FACT. The possibly mechanisms (physical, chemical, deterioration, etc.) are all hypotheses. There simply hasn't been anybody (including those with experience fixing the issue) actually running designed experiments to determine what mechanisms are at work and quite possibly it is an interaction effect (only to be discovered through factorial designs). BTW, you would call variation in the supplied adhesive a design flaw? Perhaps the design should be robust to the incoming materials, agreed, but to blame design for any variation in raw materials might be a little unrealistic.... Very few companies actually know how to do this type of work (robust design).
Old 03-10-2014, 08:36 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Please excuse yourself from trying to be difficult..... But, I really don't think that there will need to be any NASA style detective work to see that the fitting that was glued in has decided to depart from its moorings. One can also deduce that if some sort of adhesive was it's main and only form of anchoring ( which it is) that that has not done it's job. Utter nonsense.

It does make sense that the heater feed line pops out, as I would guess that there is a shut off somewhere downstream (when the heater is off) that doesn't allow recirculation and dead heads this fitting?

Of course we will have to do some very extensive testing on this hypothesis for some to understand it.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wross you are correct on the data and there is little to support which, when and why. You can bet Porsche has logged some FMEA time since the problems came to their attention. The problem lies in the fact they don't know which series run of parts don't have a possibility of failure. If your turbo, GT2 or GT3 pops a pipe on the street not to big of a deal, its the playing Russian Roulette on the track that has groups concerned. Besides taking yourself out there is a good chance that if there is a failure you can also take someone else out. As you pointed out there is no correlation to which set is going to fail so one needs to err on the side of caution. Removing the coolant and running Water Wetter reduces the slickness of the water on the track but it is still an unexpected change in grip for the guy behind you.
The problem escalated to a point at Mid Ohio they will not let cars run without pinning or welding.

CKD, the heater pipe is running at the same pressure as the rest of the system.
Also modern HVAC systems do not control the coolant flow for temp control but run the coolant full time through the heater core and the bleed the hot air off. Have not been into the 996 system but that is what we design for in other applications.
Rick
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

3m didn't intend upon the glue that made them post it notes and that worked out just fine. but glue is glue. surely there is some better way. i think it's the heat cycle thing too and wince when i think of mine at 111k its track days in the past and the propensity of these to fail as the years tack on... but this line sums it up from the poster that posited:

"forum derived subjectivity does not offset hardware derived reality".

i was bit sceptical before as to design flaws as causation, ( though miles from dock's planet ) and dubious..though i now think it's purely a matter of time with these and lookout. great! something catastrophic to look forward to!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Essexmetal
Removing the coolant and running Water Wetter reduces the slickness of the water on the track but it is still an unexpected change in grip for the guy behind you.

I have to disagree, this is dumped out while moving leaving a long thin spray. Coolant doesn't evaporate that quick while water evaporates very quickly. Water in the case of not standing water just leaves damp pavement which there is not very much if at all, any grip lost and the water doesn't then transfer to the tire and stick on it. Coolant when sprayed leaves a sticky oily residue that is very slippery and when driving over it will transfer to the tire and stick to it. It could take several seconds of driving to scrub of the sticky coolant. There is a huge difference between the two.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:58 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Please excuse yourself from trying to be difficult..... But, I really don't think that there will need to be any NASA style detective work to see that the fitting that was glued in has decided to depart from its moorings. One can also deduce that if some sort of adhesive was it's main and only form of anchoring ( which it is) that that has not done it's job. Utter nonsense.

It does make sense that the heater feed line pops out, as I would guess that there is a shut off somewhere downstream (when the heater is off) that doesn't allow recirculation and dead heads this fitting?

Of course we will have to do some very extensive testing on this hypothesis for some to understand it.
Wow...you do realize it to Richard Feynman to figure out why Challenger failed....NOT NASA. You also realize that the tiles on the Space Shuttle are glued on (RTV)....seems that glue worked just fine in a rather extreme environment. I guess "utter nonsense"...LOL
Old 03-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jumper, my note was a bit edited. I agree with you about the two being very different. My point was missed. Many groups around the country will allow you to run Water Wetter in place of coolant as the fix for welding or pinning the pipes. My point was that it is not a fix just a less of an impact. Some do spray and some hose down the line very aggressively. We have had 3 owners with various levels of damage and 4 followers three with pretty much totaled cars. Every circumstance is different.

The science and results are well discussed, if someone is not forced to do the repair by the organizers then the rest is a balance between luck and intelligence.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
( though miles from dock's planet )
And just what planet would that be?

Quick Reply: NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages