NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
We both listen closely to each other and ask lots of questions so we are sure we understand where the other person is coming from.
That is interesting because you are not listening to what we are saying at all. Not the evidence. Not the personal testimony. Nothing. You have an agenda that is all.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, just picked up a 996tt so I have another forum to keep up with besides the 993tt forum.

I have welded an awful lot of these water pipe sets. Never had to do a failed one but around 75% of the ones I have done had at least one that did not look too good and was close to failure. I disassemble and clean every trace of adhesive off the tube and the socket. It is very easy to see which ones were going to stay put and which ones were close to coming apart. A few tracks around here mandate some form of repair. Some people pin them, I have no issue with pinning just wonder where the swarf goes from the hole drilling. There would not be much, but even a little can add to the waterpump's marginal seals issues.

From my experience, this is a timebomb and eventually it's fuse will light. Find some way to mitigate it.
Rick
Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
That is interesting because you are not listening to what we are saying at all. Not the evidence. Not the personal testimony. Nothing. You have an agenda that is all.
That couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 PM
EllenGirardGibbs
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am with a law firm that is looking into reports of catastrophic coolant leakage in Porsche 911s, similar to what you have been discussing. If you have experienced this issue or are interested in the investigation, please feel free to email me at emo@girardgibbs.com, or give me a call at (866) 981-4800. You can also visit our website http://www.girardgibbs.com/porsche91...investigation/.

Thanks,
Ellen
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That couldn't be further from the truth.
This answer is a perfect example.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM
jeffbarn
Track Day

Default Analysis and update

See my post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...l#post11042941
Old 02-22-2014, 08:37 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Such a pile of ****, I certainly hope that the engineers for the porsche coolant tubes in the late 90s and early 00s are designing something more in line with their training, like water balloons or bendy straws. Whatever was the problem with the pressed in barbed nipples that have been used for years without failure? Apparently re-inventing the wheel with such technology is just what these cars need.

Put this in the same waste of time I spent two years ago with my cayenne turbo that was so advanced that they decided to use a space age polymer with stainless collet inserts. You may get 70k miles out of these coolant tubes before they fail under the intake and the extremely caustic porsche coolant destroys the starter and only if you are lucky will run down the back of the engine valley out of the drain, and deposit itself on the torque converter seal, eating it like aircraft stripper.

I hope the next generation of porsche engineers shoot for the moon and design a lightweight composite head stud, or possibly the perfect super polymer valve spring retainer, as the ones we have used for years, have failed so often and making them from plastic makes good sense. Maybe some plastic exhaust manifolds would be in order as well.

Very disappointing to say the least. I would expect these elementary design flaws from other manufacturers, but in the auto manufacturing business the motto of you get what you pay for is far from the truth.

Oh by the way if you think that this is an isolated incident, and that your car will not succumb to this failure, it is just a matter of time and or mileage that will let you experience the joy. What I am saying is if something has not been done to your car to alleviate the adhesive from failing, one of the fittings with the most tension on it will fail.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Sources/proof please.
How about me as proof. My car has never been tracked. I started a thread yesterday on this forum in the 996TT section.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drh
How about me as proof. My car has never been tracked. I started a thread yesterday on this forum in the 996TT section.
One instance isn't a trend.

Is your Turbo stock?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:10 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Please explain, with all of the wisdom that you have how on this earth the size of the turbo or the current wastegate setting on the car will have any effect on the deterioration and failure of poorly engineered cooling fittings.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Please explain, with all of the wisdom that you have how on this earth the size of the turbo or the current wastegate setting on the car will have any effect on the deterioration and failure of poorly engineered cooling fittings.
Explain to me what asking you about your Turbo has to do with anything other than me wanting to know about your car?

And if the fittings were poorly engineered, most would have failed by now.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And if the fittings were poorly engineered, most would have failed by now.
They are at least one hundred sighted tube fitting failures in threads on this board alone. The NHTSA has issued recalls for manufacturing problems with less failure rates than that.

Are you saying the NHTSA is issuing recalls for engineering successes?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

One instance isn't a trend.

Is your Turbo stock?
It is stock. Never been tracked and never had the **** run out of it. Never drag raced.

~48K miles and well maintained always.

Not trying to start anything, but I've stayed out of a lot of discussions here and when I see you posting, there is a sort of antagonistic tone to they way you write. Maybe you don't mean to come off that way. I prefer to offer the benefit of the doubt
Old 02-23-2014, 07:38 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

My 02 has 20k on it and the engine is being pulled because my oil tank is leaking. Would it be wise to have the pipes pinned or welded while I'm in there?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
They are at least one hundred sighted tube fitting failures in threads on this board alone.
And how many of those are repeats on other forums?

How many of those cars had been tracked prior to coolant pipe leaks?

Quick Reply: NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages