Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

I know of two people who had this happened, one at 23k miles the other at 45k miles. It seems to be random, unlike Dock's comments which are always obnoxious
Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
This is not a warranty issue.
The warranty is an issue, and not in terms warranty payments. It represents the type of use Porsche designed the car for.

Two dissimilar metals and glue, in a liquid environment, that is subjected to significant heat changes does not represent the type of construction I was buying into when I purchased this car.
You actually shopped at that level of inquiry?

As for metal-to-metal adhesives, there are products available that are more than up to the task.

Porsche is comparatively new to liquid cooling as far as manufactures go.
They are guilty of a faulty design because of that?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:39 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dock you are very selective in your quote usage.

1) the car was designed to haul ***
2) my 42 years of Porsche ownership says, yes I do
3) Porsche made a poor choice for an adhesive
4) yes, they are guilty of questionable cooling system designs as I stated by model earlier
Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Designed to "haul ***"? Maybe? Designed and warrantied for track use? No.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2) my 42 years of Porsche ownership says, yes I do
Then why did you buy a 996 Turbo?

3) Porsche made a poor choice for an adhesive
That has yet to be established.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are a broken record, and are not bringing anything new or productive to the discussion. Probably time to give it up, until you can provide something new in terms of information regarding coolant loss on a Porsche.
I tried to document the failure, that was something new that many owners had not seen or experienced. You are trolling, and I am finished with you.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

You are a broken record, and are not bringing anything new or productive to the discussion. Probably time to give it up, until you can provide something new in terms of information regarding coolant loss on a Porsche.
I tried to document the failure, that was something new that many owners had not seen or experienced. You are trolling, and I am finished with you.
He is a debate master. Not productive. Basically your turbo will last forever if your the original owner, never modified, never went over NA speed limit and god forbid even have driven it at track. I'm sure if we all followed his line, we would never encounter a issue.
I'm not sure Ferdinand Porsche would agree but he is entitled to his opinion even though it is pretty lame and can be comical all at the same time.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:52 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
He is a debate master.
I'm not sure Ferdinand Porsche would agree but he is entitled to his opinion even though it is pretty lame and can be comical all
no, he isn't he's a guy that likes to take a contrary view anytime someone questions the design of some component of the 996 turbo. you must realize that arguing with a guy that says the spoiler malfunctions are not common, and might even be RARE is futile. what might that tell us!?

the truth is.. dock's car leaves his garage late at night to rendevous with a green lambo.. they run all night.. she gets put away wet..seemingly no worse for wear.. yet, happy wet and spent..

the neighbors know about it. so does dock. but in dock's eyes? she can do no wrong.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Some here are prone to exaggerations.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:03 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Dock
Some here are prone to exaggerations.
possibly. i don;t ( necessarily ) think the coolant loss is as common as these inquiries suggest. but i wouldn't go so far as to suggest there isn't a better way other than glue to affix coolant lines lol. only because porsche chose not to.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
possibly. i don;t ( necessarily ) think the coolant loss is as common as these inquiries suggest. but i wouldn't go so far as to suggest there isn't a better way other than glue to affix coolant lines lol. only because porsche chose not to.

My exaggeration comment was not made with regard to the number of coolant pipe failure claims.

///////////////////////////////////

I agree with you that the feedback here doesn't necessarily indicate the problem is widespread, or what the cause of the failures really is.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:17 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Dock
My exaggeration comment was not made with regard to the number of coolant pipe failure claims.

///////////////////////////////////

I agree with you that the feedback here doesn't necessarily indicate the problem is widespread, or what the cause of the failures really is.
i didn't think it was but now i'm i wouldn't have concluded from reading your posts that you felt the number of claims was exaggerated. if anything, you seem to be saying that a claim against porsche might be beyond the pale in terms of their manufacturing liability given no defect has yet to have been proven, per se.

i have a hunch that the vast majority of these claims will have some incidences or history of tracking or sustained high engine temps/conditions. that seems to be a contributant, if not in fact a causal factor. so while their method of affixing the coolant lines may not have been the best ( or why else would pinning them exist as an option?! ) but that would hardly constitute the basis for an ongoing class action against them for the resultant damages. i don't think!? and the fact there is now an open investigation only means ( to me anyway ) that there have been enough complaints for some threshold to have been reached that might warrant a gov't "look".

i also don't feel the problem is "widespread" in spite of the "investigation". not iike, say,.. accumulators and spoilers problems have shown to be. but i'm not pinning any lines unless my engine's already out. but then?... for sure LOL
Old 05-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

if anything, you seem to be saying that a claim against porsche might be beyond the pale in terms of their manufacturing liability given no defect has yet to have been proven, per se.

i have a hunch that the vast majority of these claims will have some incidences or history of tracking or sustained high engine temps/conditions. that seems to be a contributant, if not in fact a causal factor. so while their method of affixing the coolant lines may not have been the best ( or why else would pinning them exist as an option?! ) but that would hardly constitute the basis for an ongoing class action against them for the resultant damages. i don't think!? and the fact there is now an open investigation only means ( to me anyway ) that there have been enough complaints for some threshold to have been reached that might warrant a gov't "look".

i also don't feel the problem is "widespread" in spite of the "investigation".
We have a winner.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i didn't think it was but now i'm i wouldn't have concluded from reading your posts that you felt the number of claims was exaggerated. if anything, you seem to be saying that a claim against porsche might be beyond the pale in terms of their manufacturing liability given no defect has yet to have been proven, per se.

i also don't feel the problem is "widespread" in spite of the "investigation". not iike, say,.. accumulators and spoilers problems have shown to be. but i'm not pinning any lines unless my engine's already out. but then?... for sure LOL
To me, personally I believe it has to do with the bond they use.
I have taken my car to the track less than 20 times, zero issues. I do however drive my car on windy roads more, zero issues. My friend drives like an old person, yet he had the failure?????

It is most likely that I will have the failure per yours or docks statements yet, yet I have 95 k miles with no issues????

If it were to happen to me, it will most likely be on the twisty roads, heaven forbid something happens to me Porsche, because I do like to drive with Psm off.

In summation, their is no correlation with track use. If you can't see pass your nose then yes their is. I know a friend whom has a 996t, he post here, he has a coolant leak, he replaced the expansion tank, so I'm sure it's the coolant hose lose or leaking slowly. He dosent track.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:05 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a list of people I personally know, and talk to on weekly basis. -

E- Tracks- No issue-95k - 2nd owner
G- Tracks- No issue-30k - 2nd owner
M - Tracks- No issue- 55k - 2nd owner
R- No track- Most likely coolant leaking from middle of engine- 35k - 2nd owner
R- No track- Failed- 23k - 1st owner

Quick Reply: NHTSA - looking into coolant pipe leakages