What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 06:15 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,116 Likes on 3,116 Posts

That's cool.

I let my ex drive the turbo once, and believe me, once was enough.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,595 Posts

My wife drives our Turbo regularly. She even manually shifts the Tip. She loves it.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:01 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mine got in the car, stalled it a dozen times, then got it moving by slipping the clutch until it started moving, then fully engaged the clutch and almost lost control.

I lost years of life that day.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Mine got in the car, stalled it a dozen times, then got it moving by slipping the clutch until it started moving, then fully engaged the clutch and almost lost control.

I lost years of life that day.
I taught my son how to drive a manual using my Turbo.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:18 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well, if you're son is a chip off the old block, I'm sure he did well.

In my case, she seemed to have serious coordination issues; both visual and expensive sounding.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:31 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 819 Posts

My dad gave up many years with trying to teach my mom to drive a manual transmission, she could never get the hang of it.

My wife is a very skilled driver though and prefers cars with a manual. She hated driving the Turbo when I first got it because the clutch action was funky; but once I tracked the problem down to a bad clutch master and replaced it she loves it.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:34 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would like to find that; that sounds nice.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:37 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
I have a set of the fiberglass QRT performance seats. They are very nice. I did not see the value in the carbon version as it's a lot more expensive and only slightly lighter. I mounted them with modified Sparco side mounts and first-gen Audi TT sliders (which are identical to the 996 GT3 sliders at 1/4 the cost). I'd bet they are 30-40 pounds lighter each than the stock seats.
My single dislike is that the shoulder belt holes are not high enough to run the 3-point belts through. I did run the 3-point lap belts through the lap belt holes.

Edit: now I see that pfbz's shoulder belt holes are a lot bigger than mine. I need to find a set of those plastic trims and cut my seats to match.
The larger shoulder holes are one of the key reasons I opted for the Carbon Performance vs. the non-carbon... I agree, the extra lightness of the carbon isn't really important, but wanted the larger belt openings...

Is there any way you can get a part number or any other reference on the audi sliders you mentioned? I've heard this referred to several times, but have never been able to locate the part.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:45 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LinwoodM
Please tell me more about your steering wheel.
It is a custom steering wheel done by 'Carbon Fiber Mafia" in Alcantara with a flat bottom. The final product is gorgeous, but honestly I have a hard time recommending the vendor. It was delayed quite a bit and communications were very poor. Plus my understanding is he bumped his prices way up as well...

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Those seats look fantastic. How much room do you have to access the back seats? I would love those seats, but put kids and golf clubs in the back...
As with any fixed back seat, GT3 seat or aftermarket, you definitely have compromised access to the rear unless you leave the passenger seat stock. With my setup, the seats do slide forward quite a bit, enough to load some stuff behind the seats, etc. I have my rear seats deleted so no one is getting in back to sit there anyway.

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Those are all beautiful seats, but I cannot image that they wouldn't get ruined getting in and out as a DD.
Originally Posted by Dock
I considered GT3 seats early on in my Turbo ownership, but my wife wanted no part of getting in and out of those seats. Replacing only the driver's seat with a GT3 seat was not an option because my wife drives the Turbo.
As I now have a second 996 Turbo that is set up more for daily driving, I was comfortable going a bit more 'track purposed' with this one... These race buckets are IMHO much easier to get in and out of than many others out there...
The following users liked this post:
LinwoodM (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 08:47 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

...and the first track day is in the books! I have to say it was fantastic being securely planted in the car and able to focus on car control rather than not sliding around in my seat... I also found that getting in and out was very tolerable. *Much* better than the OMP WRC seat I had in the car a while back which was really difficult to get in and out of.

Last edited by pfbz; 10-21-2021 at 08:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Freier (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 09:00 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
The larger shoulder holes are one of the key reasons I opted for the Carbon Performance vs. the non-carbon... I agree, the extra lightness of the carbon isn't really important, but wanted the larger belt openings...

Is there any way you can get a part number or any other reference on the audi sliders you mentioned? I've heard this referred to several times, but have never been able to locate the part.
I didn't realize the carbon seats had larger openings. If I had, I probably would have bought them.

The Audi sliders are 8N0-881-183 driver's and 8N0-881-184 passengers. I paid about $120 each at the Audi dealer. They bolt up to the 996 floorpan perfectly. The 996 seat track bolts are not so great, so I used some M8x1.25 small head bolts made by ARP that I got from McMaster-Carr of all places.
The Audi sliders do away with the bracket that bolts to the car. This was important to me as I'm pretty tall and need all the height I can get. I did need to cut out a section from the Sparco side mount to fit over the pieces in the Audi slider that lock the position.

I have one last track day Saturday, then I'll probably remove the Sparco seats and put the stock seats back in. I can shoot some pictures then if you want.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:03 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
As I now have a second 996 Turbo that is set up more for daily driving, I was comfortable going a bit more 'track purposed' with this one... These race buckets are IMHO much easier to get in and out of than many others out there...
My black 6TT is also set up for track use - monoball suspension everywhere and all that jazz. The QRT's are fairly easy to get out of even for someone as graceful as I am. I expect the leather on the edges to wear pretty well.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I didn't realize the carbon seats had larger openings. If I had, I probably would have bought them.

The Audi sliders are 8N0-881-183 driver's and 8N0-881-184 passengers. I paid about $120 each at the Audi dealer. They bolt up to the 996 floorpan perfectly. The 996 seat track bolts are not so great, so I used some M8x1.25 small head bolts made by ARP that I got from McMaster-Carr of all places.
The Audi sliders do away with the bracket that bolts to the car. This was important to me as I'm pretty tall and need all the height I can get. I did need to cut out a section from the Sparco side mount to fit over the pieces in the Audi slider that lock the position.

I have one last track day Saturday, then I'll probably remove the Sparco seats and put the stock seats back in. I can shoot some pictures then if you want.
It was more coincidence rather than study that identified the smaller openings on the non-carbon seats.... My local race shop happened to have a set of the Carbon Pro's in stock, and when we looked at their web site at the non-carbon version, I noticed the smaller openings and they confirmed that the ones they had previously seen weren't as flexible for a harness setup.

Thank you! Great information... About the only thing I'm not completely happy with is the seat height, needs to be lowered a bit. I can do it a bit with my current setup, but the audi brackets sound like a way to get even more lowering if needed.

Please do send some pics if you get a chance...

Last edited by pfbz; 10-21-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:26 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

The Audi sliders are 8N0-881-183 driver's and 8N0-881-184 passengers.
So it turns out I had those part numbers in my notes, but all I ever previously found were sketch drawings of the part and I couldn't really see how they would bolt up to the Porsche body... Glad you were able to confirm the parts are the right ones!

This is all I was able to find for pictures of the part previously...

8N0-881-183

Old 10-22-2021, 11:02 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

had an easy day at work yesterday, my boss took our team to top golf for lunch. was a nice day so I thought to take the turbo and get some miles in while the weather was still nice.

got stuck on a massive uphill and realized how crappy i am on hill starts. since i'm normally driving the car on the highway and around my town i never had to modulate that hard but man need to get some practice in.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?