996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020 | 11:55 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

When I had my interior out for the carpet swap, I put some Dynamat on the top section of the rear firewall right under the window, two 12x16 sheets on top of each other, with another half sheet on top of those. It made a significant difference in the interior noise of my car. That part of the firewall is like a big drum and adding some deadener to it helps a lot.

It's not the best picture of it, but you can see it up there if you zoom in a bit. You don't need to cover the area, you just need some mass in the center of the "drum." I added a little bit to the top of the plate that the ECU mounts to as well to prevent rattling.

Old 05-07-2020 | 12:27 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I went through he same thing last year. I have grown to love the quiet stock exhaust. I have semi-solid engine mounts which bring some engine sounds into the cabin and notice now I hear mostly induction noise under heavy acceleration. I like it.
Cool. Already noticed this, as well. There are at least a couple mechanical noises I had never noticed before. It makes me feel more in tune with the car.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020 | 12:36 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
When I had my interior out for the carpet swap, I put some Dynamat on the top section of the rear firewall right under the window, two 12x16 sheets on top of each other, with another half sheet on top of those. It made a significant difference in the interior noise of my car. That part of the firewall is like a big drum and adding some deadener to it helps a lot.

It's not the best picture of it, but you can see it up there if you zoom in a bit. You don't need to cover the area, you just need some mass in the center of the "drum." I added a little bit to the top of the plate that the ECU mounts to as well to prevent rattling.
That makes sense to me, and seems like the perfect use of Dynamat: the drone is a kind of resonance, and Dynamat changes the resonance. So many folks use it for all the wrong reasons, but this seems like the right one.

If I were retaining an aftermarket exhaust, I would definitely do this.
Old 05-07-2020 | 01:03 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

I went through he same thing last year. I have grown to love the quiet stock exhaust. I have semi-solid engine mounts which bring some engine sounds into the cabin and notice now I hear mostly induction noise under heavy acceleration. I like it.

Same here on re-installing stock exhaust. Especially on a street/daily driver, I prefer induction noise. Then when idling at traffic lights, I can hear the Mezger engine’s characteristic mechanical noises which hark back to previous air-cooled 911 experiences. So I get a dose of OG/nostalgia/analog in a sufficiently modern HVAC and performance package. Probably preaching to the choir in this forum...
Old 05-07-2020 | 01:16 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

I did a similar thing in exactly those two areas: ECU plate and horizontal rear firewall. I did 5 stacked layers of decreasing-size rectangles in the centers of those areas. Noticeably decreased resonance from road noise.
Old 05-07-2020 | 01:16 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My titanium exhaust is now on.
Old 05-07-2020 | 02:03 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mclaudio
I did a similar thing in exactly those two areas: ECU plate and horizontal rear firewall. I did 5 stacked layers of decreasing-size rectangles in the centers of those areas. Noticeably decreased resonance from road noise.
Would you consider it worthwhile even with the stock exhaust?
Old 05-07-2020 | 02:15 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Does the leather covered horizontal panel just below the rear window just pull off? Held on by clips?
Old 05-07-2020 | 02:30 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

that is a great idea, i will do it when i install the coils and have the panels off. thanks for that tip...
Old 05-07-2020 | 02:43 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by manimal
Would you consider it worthwhile even with the stock exhaust?
Yes. As mentioned, the strategically placed insulation mats helped with road noise. Stock exhaust got me away from aftermarket exhaust drone.

Basically, I was able to dial out noises unpleasant to my ears; and can drive my street 6TT all day long unlike my driving experiences (without ear plugs) with race cars and GTx.
Old 05-07-2020 | 02:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mclaudio
Yes. As mentioned, the strategically placed insulation mats helped with road noise. Stock exhaust got me away from aftermarket exhaust drone.

Basically, I was able to dial out noises unpleasant to my ears; and can drive my street 6TT all day long unlike my driving experiences (without ear plugs) with race cars and GTx.
Does the leather covered horizontal panel just below the rear window just pull off? Held on by clips?
Old 05-07-2020 | 03:02 PM
Mezger Man
Racer

Had my mesh grill covers put on.

Had flat black crests added to both sides of the front fascia.
Old 05-07-2020 | 03:15 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Not sure. IIRC, I didn’t have to take that panel off to install insulation mats; I simply lifted and propped up the carpet.

Edit: I believe leather panel just pull off. I remember from the time I contemplated rear wiper assembly removal.
Old 05-07-2020 | 03:32 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Yup. It pulls straight out (towards the dashboard). Held in with a bunch of clips, no screws.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020 | 04:00 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Got pissed at it.

But then, loved it again.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?