Sponsored by:

Failed my first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:05 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed my first oil change

Sorry, Dell, but I didn't get it done. Your instructions and pictures are great, but I failed in the execution.

I already had an 8mm Hex, but I ran out to get the 27mm box wrench. (Sears was out of them, so I got a 1 1/16" wrench instead.) Went to AutoZone to get my oil - bought Royal Purple 15W40 (I don't want to get into a discussion of whether this is right or wrong, my wrench uses this on all of his Porsche oil changes, so I'm following suit. I was looking for 5W40 RP, but couldn't find any - that's probably what I'm going to try to use next time.)

There was already an oil filter in with my spare tire. There was also an oil filter wrench. And, a couple of days ago I went to the Porsche Exchange to get the crush washers, and they just gave them to me, which made me happy.

So, I had everything that I needed to get this done. My oil catch basin is plenty large enough to hold the oil. I was ready to go. So I crawled under the car just to make sure that I knew where all the points were BEFORE I started to pull them and drain the oil. Jeeez, that car is low to the ground. I couldn't crawl under and hold my head straight without rubbing my nose on the bottom of the engine.

Found the two Turbo drains, the plug on the oil tank, and the crankcase drain plug. Now, where is that oil filter? Unfortunately, your picture is so close, that I can't locate it. I went to my book - "Porsche 996 - The Essential Companion." The pictures that they had showing the filter location were on a 996NA, not a Turbo, so I was out of luck there.

I took a closer look at your picture, and see a + terminal. Is this filter located in the frunk? Still couldn't find it. I really didn't want to start taking things apart until I was sure what I was looking for.

Then, I decided to look to make sure that I knew where the fuse was that I was supposed to pull. Found the fuse box, looked for C4 - Woops, my C4 is a 30 AMP fuse, not a 25, and there is a fuse in slot C5. Maybe that's for my radar detector?

BTW, I have a service jack, and slid it under the rear jack point, so that I could lift up the car, and really get a good look underneath. I put a jackstand under the suspension on the left side of the car. OK, I just lifted one side, but that was all I needed for right now.

And, here is a picture of my fuse box. I have an arrow pointing to where I think the C4 fuse is. Sorry for being silly, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Anyhow, I am ready to do this in the morning, but I need some more information before I begin.

Looking forward to some help. Yes, I obviously am a Newbie, but I do have some redeeming car qualities.

larry
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2011, 11:25 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 142 Posts

The oil filter is in the engine compartment under a black cap (see pic)
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

And you got the right fuse in location C4 , 30 amps....
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 PM
larry47us
Pro

JP:

Thanks a lot. Never would have looked in the engine compartment. Thanks for taking the time to "mod" a picture for me. It sure helped. Guess what I'm going to be doing tomorrow morning?

larry
Old 04-03-2011, 12:02 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpflip
The oil filter is in the engine compartment under a black cap (see pic)
Where did you get that rear decklid cover? Looks very nice! What airbox is that...can't quite make it out.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:11 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I'd second guess the 15W.. The weight is a little to stiff for the valve train hydraulics. Your wrench most likely uses that weight on the air-cooled Porsche engines.

I suggest going to Lowes or Home Depot and getting a few 2 X 12 cut to use them as planks to drive over. This will get the rear up enough to do a oil change.

BTW, Royal Purple really cokes up BAD in the turbochargers. I can tell that oil a mile away when I tear down turbochargers. It smells like a asphalt plant.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:53 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The planks work great...gets enough height to work under safely.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:15 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn Larry! I'm tied up most of Saturday and don't find time to make it to RL and this happens????

Next time, PM me immediately and I can walk you through it over the phone. I'll go back to my thread and add another pic from a bit further out to show it's in the motor compartment.

And I second what Kevin said. The last thing you want is a 15W oil for your car.

PM ME TODAY IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS ALONG THE WAY!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:10 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Happy If I can help you Larry. Don't hesitate to ask question if you got another issue. Be very careful when removing the plug from the bottom of the tank, there is a lot of oil in there and the flow is strong ;-)

Good morning cannon1000.
I got this airbox from Vivid and it is made by Agency power. I had to modified a couple of things on it . First, the holding bracket which was to small and broke within a couple of weeks. Second, you have to keep the back of the OEM air box and the fit to this new carbon fiber cover was not the best....I got mix feeling about this purchase.... If you look closely at the bottom of the left opening you will see a crack. This crack happen when you take out the airbox to work on the engine and it is impossible to prevent that from happening because the box is made too thin and it is really tight in there....
For the decklid, I got a friend who did it for me. He's got a shop and makes carbon fiber parts for motocross... It was a difficult process...
Hope this help, J.P.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin
I'd second guess the 15W.. The weight is a little to stiff for the valve train hydraulics. Your wrench most likely uses that weight on the air-cooled Porsche engines.

I suggest going to Lowes or Home Depot and getting a few 2 X 12 cut to use them as planks to drive over. This will get the rear up enough to do a oil change.

BTW, Royal Purple really cokes up BAD in the turbochargers. I can tell that oil a mile away when I tear down turbochargers. It smells like a asphalt plant.
Kevin and Dell;

OK, I appreciate your comments. I will go back out and exchange the oil for Mobil 1. As I remember, I was looking for some 5w40 and couldn't find any. I should be able to find something useful at Autozone. I'll keep you posted. Supposed to rain this afternoon. Gotta get this done before it starts.

larry.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Soooooooooooooo........how'd it go?

Were you able to procure some 5-40 or 5-50?

I'm standing ready by the Batphone
Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

um, you need to pull a fuse for an oil change?! (na owner here) and drain out of 4 drainage holes?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:07 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I was going to ask the same thing. I did not need to pull any fuse for my 996 TT oil changes. BTW, I use 2x12s also.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You don't "need" to pull the fuse to be able to do the change. To learn more about the reasoning please see the DIY OIL CHANGE THREAD
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
Kevin and Dell;

OK, I appreciate your comments. I will go back out and exchange the oil for Mobil 1. As I remember, I was looking for some 5w40 and couldn't find any. I should be able to find something useful at Autozone. I'll keep you posted. Supposed to rain this afternoon. Gotta get this done before it starts.

larry.
If you have a truck stop nearby, you could try to get some Delvac 1 5w40 (make sure it's the synthetic), or some Shell Rotella T6 5w40. Both are comparable to the M1 TDT, if not better.

Quick Reply: Failed my first oil change