Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is non-dealership maintenance a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:41 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Is non-dealership maintenance a bad idea?

Coming up on a major service and the dealership is quoting me >$1K more than a well-regarded local Porsche only shop. Is there a risk in resale value not having it serviced at the official Porsche facility? The dealership is presumably the standard of care, but at some point cost does become a factor, no?
Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,476 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by SamD
Is there a risk in resale value not having it serviced at the official Porsche facility? no?
Not if I am the buyer and the service was documented appropriately.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fullyield:
adrianp89 (Yesterday), doug_999 (Yesterday), Vicbastige (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 110 Posts

A Porsche store has serious requirements for technicians and required equipment and tools. Ask a dealer principal how much money they spend on diagnostic equipment and tools is annually. A non Porsche store may not have those requirements and standards. Example Porsche early this year changed the oil requirements for newer GT CARS. What oil is the non Porsche store using. Where all service done and required would matter to me.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 763 Likes on 364 Posts

in many cases the independent technicians are some of the better Porsche trained technicians that have ventured on their own. And in many cases, they are better than what you will find at the dealership. The trick is knowing which independent dealers have those type of techs and which do not.
The following 8 users liked this post by Vicbastige:
Ah10 (Yesterday), Fullyield (Yesterday), gcurnew (Yesterday), Haros (Yesterday), jlegelis (Yesterday), ldamelio (Yesterday), Motorin Mark (Yesterday), shrimp money (Yesterday) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,141 Likes on 2,052 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
A Porsche store has serious requirements for technicians and required equipment and tools. Ask a dealer principal how much money they spend on diagnostic equipment and tools is annually. A non Porsche store may not have those requirements and standards. Example Porsche early this year changed the oil requirements for newer GT CARS. What oil is the non Porsche store using. Where all service done and required would matter to me.
I wish this were true. Equipment aside, Laziness and lack of care is prevalent at $225/hr as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Haros (Yesterday), Motorin Mark (Yesterday), vg247 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by white6speed
What oil is the non Porsche store using. me.
Ha ha ha. My independent shop uses C 40 approved oil in 992s, C 30 approved oil in Cayennes and A 40 approved oil in 991s. My Porsche dealership, on the other hand, does not. The Porsche dealer uses same 5W-40 oil it buys by the 55 gal.barrel in all cars: 992, Cayennes, 991’s, etc. The Amalie 5W-40 oil it uses has NO Porsche approvals whatsoever (C 40, not C 30 not A 40). Porsche dealers owned by Penske use Pennzoil which does not have a C 40 approved oil either.
The following 4 users liked this post by Fullyield:
jlegelis (Yesterday), Motorin Mark (Yesterday), raaizin (Yesterday), rmb1973 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 427 Likes on 208 Posts

shrimp money I wish this were true. Equipment aside, Laziness and lack of care is prevalent at $225/hr as well.

Fullyield Ha ha ha. My independent shop uses C 40 approved oil in 992s, C 30 approved oil in Cayennes and A 40 approved oil in 991s. My Porsche dealership, on the other hand, does not. The Porsche dealer uses same 5W-40 oil it buys by the 55 gal.barrel in all cars: 992, Cayennes, 991’s, etc. The Amalie 5W-40 oil it uses has NO Porsche approvals whatsoever (C 40, not C 30 not A 40). Porsche dealers owned by Penske use Pennzoil which does not have a C 40 approved oil either.

This is exactly why I change my own oil or have a quality Indy shop tech do it. I make sure the right oil goes in my car. Plus I take my time and don't have my engine compartment all grease-balled up from the quick change artist at the dealership.

Last edited by Motorin Mark; Yesterday at 11:59 AM. Reason: Spelling.
The following 3 users liked this post by Motorin Mark:
Fullyield (Yesterday), Mike818 (Yesterday), vg247 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
This is exactly why I change my own oil. I make sure the right oil goes in my car. Plus I take my time and don't have my engine compartment all grease-balled up from the quick change artist at the dealership.
The only way to be absolutely certain it is done right is to do it yourself.
The following 7 users liked this post by Fullyield:
2thHappy (Yesterday), 4carl (Yesterday), jlegelis (Yesterday), Mike818 (Yesterday), Motorin Mark (Yesterday), Scott P (Yesterday), vg247 (Today) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 918 Likes on 513 Posts

I see many independent shop advertising in the PCA chapter magazine, I would try them first.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by SamD
Coming up on a major service and the dealership is quoting me >$1K more than a well-regarded local Porsche only shop. Is there a risk in resale value not having it serviced at the official Porsche facility? The dealership is presumably the standard of care, but at some point cost does become a factor, no?
Resale? No issues. Warranty - maybe, worst case it could become a fight ("e.g. They did this wrong and caused the issue")

Originally Posted by Fullyield
The only way to be absolutely certain it is done right is to do it yourself.
The only way to be absolutely certain it is done wrong, is for me to do it myself.
The following 3 users liked this post by doug_999:
Fullyield (Yesterday), Larson E. Rapp (Yesterday), SamD (Today)
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
PanHopeful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Something to consider (although not sure how I feel about this yet) - when I traded in recently, they told me they couldn’t give me more on my trade since I had used an independent, they couldn’t CPO my trade in or they would have to redo all the maintenance at the dealer. In some quick research, there may be something to this, but don’t really know. Not sure if they actually re-did the maintenance, but they did sell the car as a CPO. So could factor into calculus if you plan to trade to P dealer.
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,141 Likes on 2,052 Posts

You actually believed that?
The following 4 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Fullyield (Yesterday), Larson E. Rapp (Yesterday), ldamelio (Yesterday), Motorin Mark (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
Jockey
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHopeful
Something to consider (although not sure how I feel about this yet) - when I traded in recently, they told me they couldn’t give me more on my trade since I had used an independent, they couldn’t CPO my trade in or they would have to redo all the maintenance at the dealer. In some quick research, there may be something to this, but don’t really know. Not sure if they actually re-did the maintenance, but they did sell the car as a CPO. So could factor into calculus if you plan to trade to P dealer.
Interesting. I'm about to trade in my 992 (which I got CPO) and the dealership is quoting around $3300 is their cost for another CPO inspection before they can turn the car around.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by PanHopeful
Shrimp money is right. My dealer knows I do all my own maintenance and has CPO’d three trade ins over the years. So when I trade in my cars, I tell them that I performed all scheduled maintenance on a timely basis using Porsche parts. I have always offered to provide a written statement and additional documentation to support (receipts, photographs, etc.) my statement but they have never wanted it. It is almost like a “wink- wink” question. The truth is my Porsche maintenance exceeds anything the dealership would ever do and my SA knows that. Why? ……..Because it is MY car so I care and want it done right.

Last edited by Fullyield; Yesterday at 01:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Motorin Mark (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
PanHopeful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly, didn’t matter much as it was a requirement at the time to get the allocation, but I thought we ended up at a fair price (from a dealer for a trade). I thought I found more at the time, but the fourth bullet MIGHT give credence to the statement:
Porsche Approved. Porsche Approved means:
  • - 2 Years / Unlimited Miles Warranty coverage after the expiration of the new vehicle limited warranty or from the date of sale if the new vehicle limited warranty has expired*
  • - The vehicle meets the Porsche preparation standards
  • - The certification vehicle has been inspected in compliance with our 111-point checklist
  • - All work has been performed by Porsche trained technicians
  • - Only Genuine Porsche parts have been used

Originally Posted by shrimp money
You actually believed that?

Quick Reply: Is non-dealership maintenance a bad idea?