Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Line Failures- NHTSA

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:23 PM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

today at the track an 04' gt3 dumped coolant on the track in front of me. It started a little after a braking zone. I was a few car lengths behind when it happened, and ended up going straight off the track because I couldn't fully stop or turn. Luckily there was no damage to either cars.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Glad nobody was hurt.

Do you know the owner? Please get them to report it.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Martin Tekela
7th Gear

Unhappy 2004 GT3 Cooling System Failures

Yesterday marked the fourth or fifth time I've experienced a massive cooling system failure on my 2004 GT3. The first failure was in 2006 at Summit Point, W VA when the car had about 60,000km on the clock. A bonded-in aluminum tube (spigot) on the coolant distribution manifold popped off, resulting in a massive, instant coolant loss at the turn-in to corner 1. I made it through but several cars following went off due to the slippery pavement.

My worst personal incident was at Watkins Glen in 2008 when another spigot popped going into the climbing esses (corner 2). My loaded left rear tire was suddenly lubricated with hot antifreeze and the resulting spin caused me to crash into the outside Armco.
Yesterday another spigot popped out of its housing just under the alternator. Fortunately, the Upper Canada Region of the PCA has required that any Metzger-engine must run water or have all coolant fittings pinned or welded and the water I spilled onto the track surface quickly evaporated without causing much of a delay.
My engine has now driven 135,000 km and, except for these cooling issues, has been relatively problem-free. I tried to register on the NHTSA complaint website but cannot do so with a Canadian car.

What can I do to help us get Porsche to acknowledge that there is a serious problem with these cooling systems?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Martin,

PM me your contact info and I will forward you the Investigators contact info. maybe he'll be able to use the info as supporting evidence.

Originally Posted by Martin Tekela
Yesterday marked the fourth or fifth time I've experienced a massive cooling system failure on my 2004 GT3. The first failure was in 2006 at Summit Point, W VA when the car had about 60,000km on the clock. A bonded-in aluminum tube (spigot) on the coolant distribution manifold popped off, resulting in a massive, instant coolant loss at the turn-in to corner 1. I made it through but several cars following went off due to the slippery pavement.

My worst personal incident was at Watkins Glen in 2008 when another spigot popped going into the climbing esses (corner 2). My loaded left rear tire was suddenly lubricated with hot antifreeze and the resulting spin caused me to crash into the outside Armco.
Yesterday another spigot popped out of its housing just under the alternator. Fortunately, the Upper Canada Region of the PCA has required that any Metzger-engine must run water or have all coolant fittings pinned or welded and the water I spilled onto the track surface quickly evaporated without causing much of a delay.
My engine has now driven 135,000 km and, except for these cooling issues, has been relatively problem-free. I tried to register on the NHTSA complaint website but cannot do so with a Canadian car.

What can I do to help us get Porsche to acknowledge that there is a serious problem with these cooling systems?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:55 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Martin, there was yet another spill on Sunday! 997 Turbo.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Let him know it's happening on Canadian cars as well.
(investigator's email address removed)- pm if needed. Oh- by the way Martin- time to get them fixed correctly.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 05-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

filed my "pre-coolant line failure" concern today...good job to everyone for raising awareness.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Martin Tekela
7th Gear

Post GT3 Coolant System Problems

I've always had the GT3 repaired at a Porsche Dealer and the factory claims there is no problem. They just replaced the "malfunctioning" component!
I've owned this car from new since November 1, 2003. It has 135,000 km on the odometer and the car is now getting every spigot tube fixed properly.

My GT3 has done over 250 track days without any serious problems except the cooling system failures. No oil leaks and the original clutch as well. I did have the rear shocks re-built two years ago. The shift linkage can break at the base of the shifter, but the fix isn't too difficult if you bring a spare part with you.

Hopefully the GT3 will accompany me to a DE event at Mid-Ohio this coming weekend.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Martin Tekela
7th Gear

Post Attention Canadian GT2/GT3/Turbo (Mezger engine) Owners

I just spoke with an agent at Transport Canada at 1-800-333-0510. They were interested in taking in the details of these Porsche Mezger engine cooling system failures. You can also access them online at Transport Canada by filing a report on their 'Defect Complaint Form"
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Thumbs up

Cool
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Martin, there was yet another spill on Sunday! 997 Turbo.
And unfortunately the Turbo was running with coolant, which caused a long shut down for the clean up, unlike with Martin, where we hardly skipped a beat.

I've always had the GT3 repaired at a Porsche Dealer and the factory claims there is no problem.
Isn't it amazing I've been told the same thing many times, yet, I've also personally been at the track to witness 10 - 15 such events first hand to date... including mine last year.

I just spoke with an agent at Transport Canada at 1-800-333-0510. They were interested in taking in the details of these Porsche Mezger engine cooling system failures. You can also access them online at Transport Canada by filing a report on their 'Defect Complaint Form"
Access form here: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

Clicking on "Continue" at bottom of the page takes you to the next step.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Filed report with Transport Canada, in 1000 characters or less

Issue is common, and seemingly unavoidable: All Mezger engine-powered Porsches built between 99 and 2012 (GT3, GT2, Turbo, Turbo S).

In these engines, coolant/anti-freeze circulates through aluminum castings and rubber hoses. Hoses are clamped onto aluminum sleeves that are inserted into the bores of the castings and held in with adhesive.

PROBLEM: Adhesive eventually fails, which allows the sleeves to "blow" out of the engine, resulting in a sudden loss and spillage of slippery coolant/anti-freeze onto the road surface. This causes an immediate and dangerous loss of traction to any vehicle driving through the spill, including the one spilling the fluid.

This has happened both on and off road during normal driving and high performance driver education (DE), and is well documented. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...res-nhtsa.html

SOLUTION: Remove engine from the car to weld or "pin" the sleeves.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Martin and Francois its terrific of you both to get things going on the Canadian side.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Only file a complaint if you had a failure and paid for repair.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I've always had the GT3 repaired at a Porsche Dealer and the factory claims there is no problem. They just replaced the "malfunctioning" component!
I've owned this car from new since November 1, 2003. It has 135,000 km on the odometer and the car is now getting every spigot tube fixed properly.

My GT3 has done over 250 track days without any serious problems except the cooling system failures. No oil leaks and the original clutch as well. I did have the rear shocks re-built two years ago. The shift linkage can break at the base of the shifter, but the fix isn't too difficult if you bring a spare part with you.

Hopefully the GT3 will accompany me to a DE event at Mid-Ohio this coming weekend.
You welding or pinning them? Hope to see you at Mid Ohio this weekend, stop over and say Hi.

Quick Reply: Coolant Line Failures- NHTSA