Sponsored by:

Why Jack Baruth should be fired from R&T

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:44 AM
bulldawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo
I have a 2001 996. Pretty sure it's been garaged most of its life because the paint still looks new. For comparison, I just bought a 2018 Infiniti and the paint on the two cars is pretty close.
I just picked up my 996 a few months ago. So, I'm not sure if it has been garaged consistently or not. And the funny thing is... the fading is just on the roof. The hood and fenders look almost new. I'm going to try to polish it out soon, but I'm not expecting much.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"At best, you’ll have same kind of kitschy appeal that you’d have with a 1977 Monte Carlo—but you can get parts for a 1977 Monte Carlo for pennies on the dollar at a junkyard."....

Dude obviously hasn't been to a junkyard anytime in the last decade (or two).

All said, with Porsches I went from an '86 930 to a '96 993, to my '99 996, with several other 944s etc along the way. The 996 is my favorite car to drive regularly of all these, for lots of reasons. If it wasn't, I'd go get something else. Financial investment/speculation is a non issue when I'm driving, I have many other classic cars for that.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:52 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Investment in a car... that's a serious topic and I would venture to say very few make sense.

That out of the way. The reason I picked 996 is solely because I want N/A engine with least amount of nanny tech from more modern cars. I also tried E46. As a 'Driver's car' which definition is different from everyone, but if you want to be connected to the road and actually drive a car, there isn't many of them left. New Miata is probably the best execution of modern cars. Will the 996 price goes up like the air cooled ones? I don't really care but that's not why I buy the car or any car for that matter. The inventory of 996/997.1 almost don't really matter because a car like these are only going to be reducing in inventory. Like the aircooled ones, no cars will be built like that anymore can also be said of the 996/997.

With the introduction of Turbo 4, it probably drive more enthusiasts and purist to take a second look at these. That in my opinion is the reason why so many video, article and blogs are taking an interest in the 996/997.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:55 AM
orangeman
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
Here's a counterpoint: ... I have NO interest in selling my 996 and using the proceeds to help buy the 993. Sure, I've never considered it before, but at the point he's willing to sell his car at a $10K+ markdown to me, it's enjoyable to realize that I wouldn't dump my 996 to fund the purchase of a "better" 911.
It's funny you mention this. I am a recent C4S owner who just made the car perfect to how he wants it, if market values were completely taken out of the equation I would have NO interest what-so-ever in owning a 993 instead of my 996. Would I love to own one because it's a classic porsche, sure. Would I love to drive one just because, yeah definitely. DO I think they are better in any way over myy 4s coupe? Nope. I don't even think the 993 is particularly good looking.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:11 PM
_LPPL_
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Pzkw993
Are we sure that just getting the guy fired is enough?

I mean --- holy sh*t, he wrote something you don't like!

Where would we be as a society if we just FIRED people for doing something that some rando on the Internet didn't like? Shouldn't the consequences for upsetting somebody be more serious than just LOSING YOUR JOB? At the VERY LEAST he should have his arms broken so he can't hurt any more feelings. Plus, I hear this Baruth guy has a family. How about we find his kid and beat him up a bit? Oh, the hell with it --- let's just erase him to the third generation the way they'd have done it two thousand years ago!

Anyway... I wrote this article to counteract a rash of ridiculous, if not irresponsible publications out there that are now advising people to buy a 996 based on the low cost of acquisition. We've done it ourselves at R&T, actually --- we gave a platform to some tubby moron who basically told the readers that a $15k 996 was a reasonable alternative to a $15k sport compact. If you've ever actually owned a Porsche as your daily driver, you know that the costs and problems don't align between ANY 911 and a Japanese hatchback.

If you read the whole article and can understand it but you still disagree, then thanks for reading and I'm sorry to have upset you.

If you want to read a differing perspective on watercooled cars, written by the same jerk that you want to have fired, here you go:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...d-love-affair/
I liked the second article (love affair). Seems like the title of this thread is hyperbole; something you are very familiar with given the article in question, however . Calling to derail your career & openly insulting you seems to be abusive & childish. There is a lot of merit to pushing back on those that suggest 911 ownership as a substitute for less expensive & more reliable cars. It may be 1/3rd the price or less of a Nissan GTR, but ownership is decidedly more expensive.

Thanks for keeping the community entertained. In the end, buyer interest is just a function of total exposure and those willing to pony up the funds.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:13 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you read the whole article and can understand it but you still disagree, then thanks for reading and I'm sorry to have upset you.
You overhype issues, whine about the headlights, and moan about how no one listened to you about the 914.

Yes there are problems with it, but there are potentially catastrophic problems with every 911 model ever made. There are also solutions and mitigations for the main problems, just like for all the 911s before it.

You also mentioned the production numbers, but fail to point out that we only hear about a small fraction of them and typically only when there are issues. Last I checked, however, few if any car forums are awash with "another day of the car working flawlessly" threads.

Finally in your similarly over the top whinny response here you try to spin it as doing a service to uneducated buyers. Yet your article does nothing to actually educate the reader as to the real rate of problems and what/how to look for signs of problems.

I think your article is drivel, but I congratulate you for generating clicks and discussion. That was your real goal and you (unfortunately in my opinion) succeeded.

For the record we have had our 01 since we ordered it and it's simple/cheap upkeep was the deciding factor in going with my Cayenne over an X5. The 996's repair bills have increased in the last few years, but it has also seen much less usage over that time too. The years that it was a DD the worst it saw was the odd failed window regulator or stuck fuel float. Oh the horror!!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:26 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are we sure that just getting the guy fired is enough?

I mean --- holy sh*t, he wrote something you don't like!

Where would we be as a society if we just FIRED people for doing something that some rando on the Internet didn't like? Shouldn't the consequences for upsetting somebody be more serious than just LOSING YOUR JOB? At the VERY LEAST he should have his arms broken so he can't hurt any more feelings. Plus, I hear this Baruth guy has a family. How about we find his kid and beat him up a bit? Oh, the hell with it --- let's just erase him to the third generation the way they'd have done it two thousand years ago!

Anyway... I wrote this article to counteract a rash of ridiculous, if not irresponsible, publications out there that are now advising people to buy a 996 based on the low cost of acquisition. We've done it ourselves at R&T, actually --- we gave a platform to some tubby moron who basically told the readers that a $15k 996 was a reasonable alternative to a $15k sport compact. If you've ever actually owned a Porsche as your daily driver, you know that the costs and problems don't align between ANY 911 and a Japanese hatchback.

If you want to read a differing perspective on watercooled cars, written by the same jerk that you want to have fired, here you go:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...d-love-affair/
Old 06-07-2017, 01:11 PM
mrjonger
Pro

I say keep the hate coming and keep the prices low. Fantastic driver, most affordable 911, and arguably the most likely to suffer catastrophic failure. And when the car blows, it's nice to know I can go and pick one up for the less than a new Civic. I have to care about what old white guys say at work, I prefer not to do it in my free time.

Last edited by mrjonger; 06-07-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeman
It's funny you mention this. I am a recent C4S owner who just made the car perfect to how he wants it, if market values were completely taken out of the equation I would have NO interest what-so-ever in owning a 993 instead of my 996. Would I love to own one because it's a classic porsche, sure. Would I love to drive one just because, yeah definitely. DO I think they are better in any way over myy 4s coupe? Nope. I don't even think the 993 is particularly good looking.
Have you ever driven a 993? Not asking to be snarky, just curious to see what you think of the experience compared to your 4s. I've driven a 996 C2 and ridden in a 996 4s, so I have some impressions but they are pretty limited.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnat
You overhype issues, whine about the headlights, and moan about how no one listened to you about the 914.

Yes there are problems with it, but there are potentially catastrophic problems with every 911 model ever made. There are also solutions and mitigations for the main problems, just like for all the 911s before it.

You also mentioned the production numbers, but fail to point out that we only hear about a small fraction of them and typically only when there are issues. Last I checked, however, few if any car forums are awash with "another day of the car working flawlessly" threads.

Finally in your similarly over the top whinny response here you try to spin it as doing a service to uneducated buyers. Yet your article does nothing to actually educate the reader as to the real rate of problems and what/how to look for signs of problems.

I think your article is drivel, but I congratulate you for generating clicks and discussion. That was your real goal and you (unfortunately in my opinion) succeeded.

For the record we have had our 01 since we ordered it and it's simple/cheap upkeep was the deciding factor in going with my Cayenne over an X5. The 996's repair bills have increased in the last few years, but it has also seen much less usage over that time too. The years that it was a DD the worst it saw was the odd failed window regulator or stuck fuel float. Oh the horror!!!!
I've come around and I personally like the 996 - both the looks and the driving experience. But to say that every 911 has catastrophic problems that are like what the 996 has experienced is not accurate. Every generation has some problems yes, but very few have problems that quickly result in the need for a new engine. My 993 has the risk of premature valve guide wear. It means that somewhere before 200k miles I may need to do a top end valve job. That's it. I watch oil consumption and budget 5k for the work some 10-15 years in the future.

I contemplated a 996 and even at current prices I didn't want to deal with the hassle of worrying about a bad engine. With a properly installed fix, I'd have been less worried but those are hard to find and even harder to verify. Was it done properly? Was it done before the engine took any IMS related damage? Would I still have to deal with bore scoring or d-chunking? There are a few engines out there (e.g. Raby engines) that seem truly worry free, but most are a question mark.

I understand all the happy 996 drivers and I empathize with those who have bought and been burned. Knowing my personality I'd have a hard time being the former because I'd always be worried about turning into the latter.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:47 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

Baruth is a 996-hating schmuck. His 914 comments cemented that theory.

Not all automotive writers have a clue (I know because I "are" an automotive writer, in my spare time - check out my words of wisdom and a comparison of Charlize Theron's butt to an extremely well-sculpted car trunk in Brickell Magazine - and I realize I am not all-knowing about everything that rolls)
Old 06-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porschedog
Baruth is a 996-hating schmuck. His 914 comments cemented that theory.

Not all automotive writers have a clue (I know because I "are" an automotive writer, in my spare time - check out my words of wisdom and a comparison of Charlize Theron's butt to an extremely well-sculpted car trunk in Brickell Magazine - and I realize I am not all-knowing about everything that rolls)
I think JB is a generally good writer who has a long history with Porsche and knows quite a bit about the brand. He's also half-troll and has perfected the art of stirring controversy to generate lots of comments on his articles. Right now he is sitting back, watching this thread and laughing while he strums his guitar and listens to a John Mayer album playing in the background.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:51 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

^ agreed - kinda like what the Donald does. The call for Baruth's firing is a bit extreme, IMO.
Still, not all auto writers are all-knowing and it's ok to disagree with them from time to time. Lord knows 99% of the planet does so with Jeremy Clarkson who is also pretty much anti-911 99999% of the time (he did like the 996 GT3)

I'm sure a few took exception to my review of the Fiat (hack, wheeze, cough "Mazda with a Fiat 500 engine") 124, in which I theorized hairdressers named Vance are the target demographic Fiat is hoping to attract.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

It's tough because on one hand the premise of the article, "Don't buy a 996 to get rich," is not bad advice. I feel that it's the quotes from the article such as this one:
...but nobody will be nostalgic about the 996-generation 911. It was an unloved interregnum between two round-headlight superstars.
That, in the year 2017, just feels like bullying to be a bully. Wow, we've never heard that one before. Hot take. With his comparison to the 914 I feel like even Jack knows that a few of us flawed nobodies will look back on our time with this car one day and say "Hey, I'd do that again."

I can empathize that Journalism on the internet is a battle for attention and a writer may need to make more sensationalized statements to get clicks. I just feel like the argument over why the 996 is best served putting smiles on faces than dollars in bank accounts could have been written with fewer insults & digs. Picking on "the little guy" is always cheap.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

...a$15k 996 was a reasonable alternative to a $15k sport compact. If you've ever actually owned a Porsche as your daily driver, you know that the costs and problems don't align between ANY 911 and a Japanese hatchback
True, but when a I looked at a $15k FRS, I figured that depreciation on an FRS would offset the maintenance costs somewhat or considerably.

While I don't think 996s will necessarily appreciate in value, the depreciation is done. So you buy and sell for the same price but then pay a lot in repairs and maintenance, except that heavy Porsche repair costs are not necessarily a given. Some of these cars don't break at all and folks are only doing oil changes, brake pads, and tires. In those rare cases, the Porsche 996 is one of the cheapest cars to own, TCO included.

Quick Reply: Why Jack Baruth should be fired from R&T