Sponsored by:

Why Jack Baruth should be fired from R&T

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Eric, I think, sua sponte, you lock this thread up. It's been fun, but getting a little dead horse-ish.
Please kill it already. It's been dead horse-ish for about 5 pages.

-Eric
Old 06-09-2017, 03:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Please kill it already. It's been dead horse-ish for about 5 pages.

-Eric
At the top of the comments on the page there is a "Thread Tools" menu. As the thread starter you should have an option there to lock the thread.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnat
At the top of the comments on the page there is a "Thread Tools" menu. As the thread starter you should have an option there to lock the thread.
I checked that earlier. These are my only options:

Show Printable Version
Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
Add a Poll to this Thread

I just sent a note to KC, too.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Giant rust buckets, but damn those are fun cars! My last one leaked like a sieve and had body work done with masking tape (seriously!) and I ended up driving it around with nothing but a driver seat for the interior. After sinking a ton of work into it trying to bring it back to life (they put a ton of lipstick on that pig ) I finally gave up on it when the heat hose blew. Simple and relatively cheap fix, but it was the breaking point.

I still miss it though.

The first one I had turned out to have rusted clean through both A pillars

For on going work I agree, but other than exceptional cases it seems to be that when picking up a decent 996 that it typically requires about $5k over the first year or two to get it up to snuff and make it a solid car. Some are more, some are less. After that, however, they do tend to just need fluids and rubber.

Back when I was in the e30 game you could pick up an iX between $2500 and $5k. On the lower end you'd have to expect about $1500 to $2k of work if you weren't DIYing (talk about an easy DIY car though!). $5k in a year or 2 on a $20k car seems a lot better to me than $2k in the same time on a $2500 car. Especially on the iX cars that number could go way up when you get into it and find rust issues that need to be dealt with (I was about 10k all in on that last one when I gave up).

Regardless, I'm not trying to argue that the 996 is a cheap car to own (though I don't think it's that bad). Just that it is far from the financial wreck that was claimed.

You're certainly an exceptional case where it has cost you far more than the average 996 owner, but the catastrophic failures are still exceptions rather than the rule. Sucks for the unlucky ones like yourself no matter what though.
Ahhh...E30...I miss mine...
Attached Images   
Old 06-09-2017, 11:59 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Sorry, but no. You could have Eschewed Obfuscation(cut out the bloviating) and left plenty of room for expanded coverage of the GT2.

I do tech writing sometimes for pretty complex networks, and we get edited all the time. Just like coders from back in the 80s, it's amazing what can be stuffed into a few dozen paras. Try fewer adverbs, and less - well, drayma. Except, you are working toward a goal of selling oil, wristwatches, and Chebbys, so I guess some of the auto-blog-worthy polysyllables are understandable.

Accuracy and clarity over style, unless of course, you are working on the Great American Novel.
Damn I hope you aren't this much of an arrogant tool in real life.

"I'm a tech writer" <> "I write filler for an ad-supported internet site".

His mandate is to drive traffic. Yours is to be comprehensible. The 1200 words or it's cut is key here - the more hyperbole the better. It drives eyeballs.

At least the poor sod isn't writing for a clickbait aggregator. 50x25 word paragraphs with pictures.

And his article wasn't even that bad.

He could have got an easy 1200 words out of an article about hysterical owners saying that you can't buy an M96 powered vehicle without immediately paying 000's to drop the engine to fix a problem that impacted low single digit percentages shooting themselves in the foot for any kind of appreciation.

Instead he tried to write a (slightly) humorous piece that looked like an aggregated week of people moaning in here.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Locking this thread. Sue/Chris, send me a PM if you want it to be reopened.

Quick Reply: Why Jack Baruth should be fired from R&T