996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Millennium Edition Registry/Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 03:50 AM
jbob42
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello fellow Millenials. I'm owner of 605 listed in the OP as "sold on BAT 165k"

I hit the intermix issue and rapidly disappearing coolant after just 430 miles.... but it turns out there were two hoses that were leaking the coolant. After replacing those hoses, so far every flush has produced less and less oil in the coolant. Local shop believes that the mix might have been residual from previous head replacement. I've driven it on two 130 mile trips since it went in the garage for a month.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:34 AM
arethusa71
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob42
Hello fellow Millenials. I'm owner of 605 listed in the OP as "sold on BAT 165k"

I hit the intermix issue and rapidly disappearing coolant after just 430 miles.... but it turns out there were two hoses that were leaking the coolant. After replacing those hoses, so far every flush has produced less and less oil in the coolant. Local shop believes that the mix might have been residual from previous head replacement. I've driven it on two 130 mile trips since it went in the garage for a month.
Intermix is nasty to deal with. Hopefully it clears and you dont have a more serious problem. Ive watched a few videos on the subject, and ive seen many interesting methods. One said; flush it, and fill with water. Add a cup of simple green. Drive till hot, flush it. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Until all done. Do this before winter, so that hopefully you can fully flush it and then return it to a proper mixture. YMMV. This was just the advice of a man more wise than I.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:46 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 131 Posts

This Milenium sold recently. It had intermix and looks like it was in rough shape aesthetically. I made an offer but someone bought it for the buy it now price of $7,995.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224123482631

Very rough shape. Would you have bought it?

Last edited by MoeMonney; 08-22-2020 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:44 AM
Mata
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an interesting topic...
It depend how much you are determinated to bring this car life back...
The other option is that you don’t have enough money to pay 20-25k $ now and still hardly want your own Millennium...
This car for me is like a lottery but still could be survived with some serious money...
Minimum investment more or less:
- new leather interior 4k $,
- new wooden panels 1k $,
- front window 0,5k $,
- wheels 2k $,
- front bumper 0,5k $,
- paint imperfections 1k $,
- basic engine works 2k $,
- other issues like sunroof, two control lights on dashboard, etc. 1k $
It means that the car would cost a new owner at the end minimum ca. 20k $...

Take into consideretion also milage which in this case is 160k ! It’s a lot and if car was not services properly total engine rebuild could be in front of you...and then additional 10k $ to pay...
If you are a gambler this car is a good choice for you!
Personally, wouldn’t buy...
ps. but seller is great, „some scratches”, „it’s regular in this model”, „need some works”, „pretty good car” :-)

Last edited by Mata; 08-22-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:51 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mata
The other option is that you don’t have enough money to pay 20-25k $ now and still hardly want your own Millennium...
This car for me is like a lottery but still could be survived with some serious money...
- front window 0,5k $,
- wheels 2k $,
- front bumper 0,5k $,

Take into consideretion also milage which in this case is 160k ! It’s a lot and if car was not services properly total engine rebuild could be in front of you...and then additional 10k $ to pay...
ps. but seller is great, „some scratches”, „it’s regular in this model”, „need some works”, „pretty good car” :-)

Definitely needed an engine rebuild. That said, I've always liked the Millenium editions and have been looking for the right one for some time now. But this one seamed like it needed too much Invested. The interior was very bad. It basically needed everything redone or replaced. The sad thing is that we cant see what number it was. I couldn't make it out in the video.

Last edited by MoeMonney; 08-23-2020 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:07 AM
Mata
Track Day

Originally Posted by j. brinckmann
Hello, is the Register active?. I am the owner of 911 Millennium Nummer 900. Actually with 164.000 km. I am living neer berlin. Beste regards Jörg
Hi Jörg
What a coincidence that the highest and lovest listed (known) Millenniums belongs to European neighbours from Poland and Germany living in their capital cities...
#004 Mata, Warsaw, Poland, 103k (ca. 164k km)
#900 brinckmann, Berlin, 164k km
My home city Poznań is placed in a mid way beteeen Berlin and Warsaw, both ways highway connected. Our cars are like a twins, would be great to see live some day :-)
If you interested to stay in touch please write my e-mail: michal.blaszczyk@porscheclub.pl
Best
Mata

Last edited by Mata; 08-23-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:26 PM
Chance Hales
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mata
- front window 0,5k $,
- wheels 2k $,
- front bumper 0,5k $,

That car is in pretty rough shape and makes me realize how lucky I got with mine. Mine isn't without flaws but jeez! I just cleared 178k miles in mine, I daily drive it, track it, drive it through the Utah winters in snow, but I also have been slowly bringing it back to life. Because of the miles though I have decided to restomod/outlaw it and do what I want to it.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:05 PM
Porsche62
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own this car now and have done a good amount of work to it.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:09 PM
Porsche62
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey sorry for the late response, I live in Maryland (Ellicott City), and the production number is 526. I paid 18 with 104k but with a salvage title. I love it but I defiently don't think I got the best deal on it. What do you guys think?
Old 08-27-2020, 11:24 PM
markar
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche62
Hey sorry for the late response, I live in Maryland (Ellicott City), and the production number is 526. I paid 18 with 104k but with a salvage title. I love it but I defiently don't think I got the best deal on it. What do you guys think?
Chris I think you pay fair price. millenniums are very special cars it's going to go up market in future .When i buy my car 15 years a go I paid $47500 with 11 k miles on it now i have 45k . I live in Rockville maybe one day we will meet after this mass over Good job for 19 years old I was 40 when can afford one.

Last edited by markar; 08-27-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:02 AM
Speed of life
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chance Hales
Here's what I have from this past February. I was told one of the toners was discontinued.
They didn't end up blending mine either, insurance wanted nothing to do with that because of the aerokit bumper costing an absurd amount.

Thanks for this - very helpful for when I do repaint the bumper.

First and foremost, I am a new ME edition owner... first 911, too! I'll post more later. I'm looking to do some touch ups on the bumper and was curious as to how people are doing so. There are some chips and life scratches that I'd like to cleanup before eventually getting the front bumper resprayed. Are there any touch up pens that folks have been using?

Last edited by Speed of life; 08-28-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:02 AM
Chance Hales
Instructor

Originally Posted by Speed of life
Thanks for this - very helpful for when I do repaint the bumper.

First and foremost, I am a new ME edition owner... first 911, too! I'll post more later. I'm looking to do some touch ups on the bumper and was curious as to how people are doing so. There are some chips and life scratches that I'd like to cleanup before eventually getting the front bumper resprayed. Are there any touch up pens that folks have been using?
When I had my paint work done, the body shop gave me a bottle of the paint they mixed for touchup. They are also keeping the paint mix on hand in case I need anything else done.

UPDATE on mine.

My 2nd gear synchro went out at 176k miles. My indi said he always sends transmission work in to the dealer and told me I should just go there. They quoted me $3k in labor alone just to replace the one synchro and nothing else. Parts were going to be an additional $1k. Meanwhile, I found a 996.2 C4S trans on eBay with 50k miles on it for $2400. Guess which route I went. I ended up spending $2k more than the dealer quoted me but I got a 50k mi trans, new clutch, LN IMS replacement, and RMS replacement done at the same time. Unfortunately, the C4S trans is a little longer than the 996.1 C4 trans so I needed a new driveshaft as well. None of the local shops wanted to touch my original. So that added another $700 to the job. I think I've now spent as much in replacing things on the car as I bought the car for ($14500). The car feels a lot better now though. I've put about 2k on it since the swap and it has been great.
I also recently replaced my shift boot for a black one to match my seats (still need to redo the leather on the steering wheel and I want to replace the parking brake lever with a black one as well), upgraded PCM to a Sony double din with Car Play, swapped out the speakers and amp in the meantime. And replaced the hood crest with a silver one to match the ones on the steering wheel and shifter. Why they didn't leave the factory like that is beyond me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chance Hales:
Ratchet1025 (09-07-2020), Speed of life (09-12-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 06:54 PM
Sfo1dmh

I purchased #521
20k miles
Concord California
Old 09-24-2020, 02:54 PM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance Hales
When I had my paint work done, the body shop gave me a bottle of the paint they mixed for touchup. They are also keeping the paint mix on hand in case I need anything else done.

UPDATE on mine.

My 2nd gear synchro went out at 176k miles. My indi said he always sends transmission work in to the dealer and told me I should just go there. They quoted me $3k in labor alone just to replace the one synchro and nothing else. Parts were going to be an additional $1k. Meanwhile, I found a 996.2 C4S trans on eBay with 50k miles on it for $2400. Guess which route I went. I ended up spending $2k more than the dealer quoted me but I got a 50k mi trans, new clutch, LN IMS replacement, and RMS replacement done at the same time. Unfortunately, the C4S trans is a little longer than the 996.1 C4 trans so I needed a new driveshaft as well. None of the local shops wanted to touch my original. So that added another $700 to the job. I think I've now spent as much in replacing things on the car as I bought the car for ($14500).

I bet that feels good. What happened with 2nd? Complete lockup failure or just hard to engage?
Old 10-02-2020, 06:37 PM
Chance Hales
Instructor

#615 on Cars and Bids
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3gn...arrera-4-coupe

Quick Reply: 996 Millennium Edition Registry/Info