Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What have you learned since joining Rennlist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"Ya can't hide money!"

That's what my neighbors love to shout across the parking lot when I see them in town. Rural area, so they get "My used Porsche cost half of what your Z71 Silverado cost, smarta**". The puzzled looks are priceless. I've learned ya can't hide ignorance..
Old 10-04-2016, 01:47 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Gulliver
"Ya can't hide money!"

That's what my neighbors love to shout across the parking lot when I see them in town. Rural area, so they get "My used Porsche cost half of what your Z71 Silverado cost, smarta**". The puzzled looks are priceless. I've learned ya can't hide ignorance..
I get the same thing all the time and I usually respond with something like... "I bought the Porsche for less than most people pay for their Corollas!"

Funny how people don't know one Porsche from the other. My neighbor thought my 996 was brand new. He flipped out when I told him it was 13 years old.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:49 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Per 5CHN3LL's advice... Never ever, under any circumstances Google "pink sock".

You've been warned!!!
Old 10-04-2016, 01:53 PM
llis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gulliver
"Ya can't hide money!"

Originally Posted by b3freak
I get the same thing all the time and I usually respond with something like... "I bought the Porsche for less than most people pay for their Corollas!"

Funny how people don't know one Porsche from the other. My neighbor thought my 996 was brand new. He flipped out when I told him it was 13 years old.
People are like that. Years ago I bought an old BMW for $15k. People thought I was flaunting extreme wealth.

Now if the topic comes up, I tell them it was either this Porsche or a Subaru, and the Porsche was cheaper so it was a no-brainer. (Even with the IMS upgrade work, I spent less.) Invariably the response is whuh?
Old 10-04-2016, 11:49 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by llis
Invariably the response is whuh?
Like this?

Or more like this?

Or perhaps like this?

Prolly more like this:

Old 10-04-2016, 11:58 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

All my neighbors know I am loaded. Just not as loaded as they are.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:02 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

9237: call Jake Raby when any part on your car fails. He once touched a 996, so it's his responsibility to help you.

9361: A loan on a 10+ year old car is a wise financial decision.

742: an early withdrawal from your 401k to replace your motor is an even better financial decision.

1234: Not admitting you made a mistake and that you were a rude jackass to people you wanted to help you even though they had no connection to you or your car, priceless!

9001: cropping back up (and still acting the ***) after a year and thinking this forum won't remember you is just world class awesome.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:57 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

9720: Rennlist is apparently trying to censor me! (not that they probably don't have good reasons)
Old 10-05-2016, 11:04 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gnat
9720: Rennlist is apparently trying to censor me! (not that they probably don't have good reasons)

Correction: They're trying to "vet" you Gnat. Think of them as your personal TSA. ha!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:14 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey keep it quiet! That level of ignorance let's us tool around in the best sports car deal of the century

R
Old 10-05-2016, 04:19 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RickMiller
Hey keep it quiet! That level of ignorance let's us tool around in the best sports car deal of the century

R
((whispering)) Good point... I'll try to keep it hush hush. Our little secret ok? ((whispering)) Another secret... Porsches have nice asses, pass it on.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Flat6Music
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

I've learned that Porsche 996 owners are performance enthusiasts.
I've also learned that if you desire higher performance via an LSx heart transplant, that despite the increase in horsepower without adversely affecting handling, it is for some reason considered sacrilege.

Ive also learned that new threads about oil preferences, cell phone storage, and cup holders are always welcome.

Oh yeah, and that photos of naked women included in posts are unfortunately not tolerated. So sad!
Old 10-06-2016, 11:04 AM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6Music
I've learned that Porsche 996 owners are performance enthusiasts.

I've also learned that if you desire higher performance via an LSx heart transplant, that despite the increase in horsepower without adversely affecting handling, it is for some reason considered sacrilege.
!
I don't think sacrilege explains the attitude. There have been a few really interesting and long threads that walked through the LS conversion. They started with an ambitious owner wanting 400 reliable hp and $50 oil changes. Getting there was an epic journey. 996's have a single brain that controls so many aspects of the car. When the brain doesn't like what it sees it starts flashing lights, turning things off, refusing to start and refusing to respond. Marrying an LS and the brain looks much easier on paper than anyone's execution has been. I know there have been pretty successful engine swaps but I doubt many are as reliable as a stock 996. The engine may have no faults but reliability at the car level is the target.

400 hp, or more, in a 996 would be great. If you have $$ you can get a Jake Raby 4.0 upgrade and get into the ballpark, or you could buy a GT3 or TT. All would be easier to live with than an LS conversion. If you make the swap I will eagerly read your posts about it. If you pay for a conversion, ditto. I like that kind of stuff. By necessity, the swap will make you your own mechanic or dependent on the shop that did the conversion. The way most of posters on the forum get involved is sorting through a problem and we give and get help from the forum. You will be more on your own. If you are looking for posters to tell you that a conversion is a good idea, well you haven't got that yet and probably won't. If you post about a conversion there will be interest.

From a personal perspective, I would love to see someone show up at a concours event with an engine swap. The faces on the judges...

Last edited by ditto; 10-06-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:07 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Ditto what ditto said.

I would also add that many seem to look at the LS swap as a cheap alternative to an M96 replacement/rebuild, but it always seems to come out just as expensive as a rebuild when all is said and done.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:33 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

Right, but if it is done right (and it can be) you end up with a motor that no one is worried about exploding randomly, which is the allure. The cost savings is really the back end peace of mind, in my view.

But people who think it will bolt right up and fire right up for the cost of the LSx and some hoses are delusional and deserve whatever happens to them.

Quick Reply: What have you learned since joining Rennlist?