Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bits & pieces lead to disassembly, Vareocam and on..

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bits & pieces lead to disassembly, Vareocam and on..

Here is another engine VarioCam pad replacement job in conjunction with an AOS. On a 00 Dual Row IMS stock 996 after having the classic puff of white smoke out of the tail pipes and all the telltale signs of a bad AOS, I decided to of course replace the bad AOS which did end up having a torn diaphragm. While I was doing that maintenance task I also decided to drop the oil pan and do an oil change along with replacing the oil filter as well then inspect for any debris. To my surprise I found these bits and pieces of Black and Brown plastic. At which point I then decide to drop the motor and trans to have a better look at what else was going on. My local Indi mechanic confirmed my suspicions that I had a worn down pair of VarioCam pads and he suggested the black parts might be from broken chain rail. That perhaps it would be best to inspect further and see. So I figured what the heck why not just drop the motor and have a good look inside.

The multiple black and brown pieces of plastic found at the bottom of the oil pan.

My ZF tip-Trans and motor coming down after a few hours of prep work. Good thing too because the transmission mount is also looking rough and in dyer need of replacement prior to re-install among other desired projects.

Up-close shot of the wear depth the chain has done onto the guide rails of the chain tensioner. Yes, tools P255 & P256 are installed.

The chain chewed up quite a bit of material on the pads, this explains the bits of brown plastic I found in the oil pan. Now to figure out how to compress the tensioner plungers without Porsche tool #9634. As the search for the source of the black particles continues. Already looked at the old AOS and all parts inside were there so on to the next suspect item.

Last edited by Device2; 06-10-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:49 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

black peices could be from the IMS paddle.

on the right in this pick. still in the bearing carrier case. you can see the black plastick

Name:  20150320_184612_zpsudz1qjfc.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  182.0 KB

or the oil scraper attached to the bearing case. you should be able to see that by taking off the sump plate.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, those chain pads need to be done on pretty much every 996. Wear item. Done it on my previous one and will be doing them on this new one soon
Old 06-10-2016, 05:57 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Youri Ko
Yep, those chain pads need to be done on pretty much every 996. Wear item. Done it on my previous one and will be doing them on this new one soon
Even though it's a wear item, I've observed various rates of wear between different cars. Some have worn down quite a bit vs others at various mileages. It's hard to determine what kind of oil change intervals, climate, type of driving, etc. plays into this.

It would be nice if we had some kind of inspection hole to take a peek from time to time.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah....I'm going to make habit of dropping the pan every year to check out if I have bits or not.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Device2
Racer

AWDguy, thanks for the info and my indi suspected it was the Paddle plastic pad or the other black chain rail next to it. I checked what I could see of the oil scraper with the oil pan out and it's all complete. Going to open up the next bank this evening and see the wear.

Alpine003 I wonder if the upgraded ones have the same or perhaps better durability then what looks like to be the original pads.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:51 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

How hard are the pads to replace?
Old 06-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very easy, you just need to drop the engine .
Plus a bunch of special tools (that you can make your self)
Might take a week or two.
If the manifold bolts are seized on bank2 - prepare for passionate drilling
Old 06-12-2016, 02:02 AM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Very easy, you just need to drop the engine .
Plus a bunch of special tools (that you can make your self)
Might take a week or two.
If the manifold bolts are seized on bank2 - prepare for passionate drilling
"prepare for passionate drilling"

This is what I say to the ladies in my life every once and a while.

Sorry I know....TMI.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:08 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I made a tool for compressing the vario pads using a quick release skewer from a road bike wheel the threaded end fits into the threaded hole on the vario system which compresses the pads , you need to place a metal tube over the skewer with a washer on the end so it doesn't damage the vario tensioner, as you screw it in the tube and washer push against the vario tensioner and release pressure from the chain, it worked for me, be careful though as I've heard some are left handed thread, mine weren't and this method worked great for me!
Old 06-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Actually only the 996's that have them. (1998-2001 non-turbo)
Old 06-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noz1974
I made a tool for compressing the vario pads using a quick release skewer from a road bike wheel the threaded end fits into the threaded hole on the vario system which compresses the pads , you need to place a metal tube over the skewer with a washer on the end so it doesn't damage the vario tensioner, as you screw it in the tube and washer push against the vario tensioner and release pressure from the chain, it worked for me, be careful though as I've heard some are left handed thread, mine weren't and this method worked great for me!
Count on them being left-hand thread.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Device2
AWDguy, thanks for the info and my indi suspected it was the Paddle plastic pad or the other black chain rail next to it. I checked what I could see of the oil scraper with the oil pan out and it's all complete. Going to open up the next bank this evening and see the wear.

Alpine003 I wonder if the upgraded ones have the same or perhaps better durability then what looks like to be the original pads.
Upgraded pads are far more durable, material looks like nylon.
Here are some worn originals:
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Device2
Racer

Thank you Byprovider, for the pictures of what the worn pads look like.

NOZ1974, I tried the bike skewer trick but seems as though my VarioCams are reverse threaded since the motor is a 2000 996, so I'm awaiting a reverse thread cutting tool to redo the threads on the skewer rod. Which does actually fits in the tensioner assembly perfectly

I also shifted focus to the IMSB while engine and trans are out. Bearing was the original Dual Row NSK with 100k on odometer and after removing the black seal there was no grease just engine oil in it with lots of play in all directions and minor abrasion on a few of the ball bearings.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:39 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

^Great Catch! ^ Good luck with the rest!!!

Quick Reply: Bits & pieces lead to disassembly, Vareocam and on..