Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bits & pieces lead to disassembly, Vareocam and on..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 01:05 AM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was able to get a decent visual on the IMS chain paddle and the IMS black chain rail along the RMS and down below it.

But looks like my lower chain rail from Cylinder 1-3 chain had a good chunk dug out and some damage from whatever foreign object the chain swallowed up and ran through.

Also the VareoCam tensioner pads on Cylinder 1-3 are even more chewed up than the ones from Cylinder 4-6. The ring was folded in half and the pads are very eaten up. Looks like I will be placing that and a few more items on order with WareHouse33. Gonna get new rail pads, seals and some new lifters .

Schnell Gelb, thanks for the tips and yes I will check some of those items. I've actually already replaced the Idler Pulley bearing and the other two. I also plan on also going with lower temp thermostat and replacing the IMSB & RMS.

Johnireland, I have to agree with you in contrast to the other 3 German vehicles that I have owned, two of them being luxury brand ones mind you this 996 Motor for sure did ensure job security for the parts and service department at Porsche. Yeah I too feel as though the 996 Motor has it's flaws and too many frequently need to service items but it is still fun to tinker with. Also I think it's safe to assume that the previous owner did not take this car in for regular service cycles or have the mechanical aptitude to pay much attention to what was going on with the vehicle.

Last edited by Device2; 07-12-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:45 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

If that o ring was folded over, the oil feed to the pads was probably not as good as it should have been, I would say everyone with over 80k on their motor has vario pads looking the same as yours, I've stripped two engines my original with 102k and the replacement I bought with 82k and both had knackered vario pads, if you are showing increasing can deviation values you can bet it's this , it's a wear item like anything else, we all go on about ims Rms AOS and the rest we need to add VCP ( vario chain pads) .
The main chain rails do get a bit of wear also but not like these fortunately!!
Old 07-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Device2
Racer

I talked to the indi mechanic yesterday about my plan to replace my lifters and he said that I needed to be careful about uneven wear on the cams. Anyone experienced this when changing all the lifters? Would it be a bad idea or a good thing to do since the motor is out. The car does have 100K miles and I was wondering if anyone has done it and had adverse effects? I do plan on changing all 24 and not one or two. Which is what I think he was referring to causing the damage, doing one or two I recall having read somewhere that doing individual ones it is something to wary of and they could cause uneven wear.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Device2
I was able to get a very good visual on the IMS chain paddle and the IMS black chain rail along the RMS and down below it. On the positive side, all those parts are all complete and intact. So hurray I don't have to tear the motor in half or dig to investigate if those were the cause of the black plastic parts.

But looks like my lower chain rail from Cylinder 1-3 chain had a good chunk dug out and some damage from whatever foreign object the chain swallowed up and ran through.

Also the VareoCam tensioner pads on Cylinder 1-3 are even more chewed up than the ones from Cylinder 4-6. The ring was folded in half and the pads are very eaten up. Looks like I will be placing that and a few more items on order with WareHouse33. Gonna get new rail pads, seals and some new lifters .

Schnell Gelb, thanks for the tips and yes I will check some of those items. I've actually already replaced the Idler Pulley bearing and the other two. I also plan on also going with lower temp thermostat and replacing the IMSB & RMS.

Johnireland, I have to agree with you in contrast to the other 3 German vehicles that I have owned, two of them being luxury brand ones mind you this 996 Motor for sure did ensure job security for the parts and service department at Porsche. Yeah I too feel as though the 996 Motor has it's flaws and too many frequently need to service items but it is still fun to tinker with. Also I think it's safe to assume that the previous owner did not take this car in for regular service cycles or have the mechanical aptitude to pay much attention to what was going on with the vehicle.
Thank you for your business, if you have any questions just let me know.

-Jason
Old 07-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Device2
Racer

Well here is the outcome of the bits and pieces. Looks like the IMS chain paddle did take on some damage too.

Here is the new Black IMS Chain pad versus the old original pad from Stuttgart.

Go figure removed the original factory installed Cam tensioner pads with Manufacture date May 1999 (05/99) as seen in the part .
Old 07-12-2016, 05:31 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than dropping the oil pan and hunting for plastic, is there any way to inspect the condition of the pads and guides?
Old 07-13-2016, 11:30 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Interesting to find this thread. I actually am finishing up the rebuild of my engine and the pads were mostly worn. THe pad that was most worn out was the IMS Chain pad. I bought a new one from the porsche dealership for around 25 dollars. It was the only pad that didnt come with the Vertexauto.com 3.4L Rebuild kit I bought. All other pads came in the kit.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:34 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Interesting to find this thread. I actually am finishing up the rebuild of my engine and the pads were mostly worn. THe pad that was most worn out was the IMS Chain pad. I bought a new one from the porsche dealership for around 25 dollars. It was the only pad that didnt come with the Vertexauto.com 3.4L Rebuild kit I bought. All other pads came in the kit.
Careful with that word, "rebuild" around here. Some would consider that a refresh instead.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:42 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Device2 - I'm catching up , for the IMS paddle, case spliting is required or not?
Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Device2
Racer

Youri Ko, I will have to say that due to the room required to remove the IMS chain paddle in order to change the black plastic the answer would be "Yes!" To the Case splitting or at least removal of one half is necessary. Sad part is that it took no more than 5 minutes to remove the circlip, the washer and the paddle - then replace the $20 black plastic part 99610519500 and re-install. So now it also looks like it will cost about 25X that amount to purchase new seals, O-rings, cylinder head bolts and so on to reassemble and close everything up .
Old 07-13-2016, 02:57 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Device2.
I refreshed my engine last month, VarioPads, rms, ims and whole bunch of seals, did not touch any of the big paddles.
Oh well, more and more stuff to watch out for on these engines as they age. In a few years, IMS won't be the big word but plastic paddles will be and people will start to run away from these cars scared
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Bits & pieces lead to disassembly, Vareocam and on..