996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2004 996 was told engine needed rebuild-Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

My organizational skills were forged in USMC aviation circles.Lots of what I implement here is employed in a military manner, from what I learned there.

Keeping the entire engine on one cart, with a process number, and the entire history of that core in a database is the key. RND has one employee that does nothing except maintain these carts, their data base, and all the moving parts that it takes to process these cores into well- built RND engines, equipped with the majority of their original parts.

Thats the way I designed that program for SSF, and it has ran like a Swiss Watch. These carts stay under lock and key, and are only removed one at a time when the engine is prepped, which is the time when that engine meets its new parts, machined block, and processed cylinder heads for the first time since tear down occurred. Then everything is ultrasonically cleaned, and makes its way into the O.R.

The way I do things here at Flat 6 is similar, but since we don't deal with any core issues, we merely keep the original customers cart with all his parts on it, and he receives that same matching numbers engine back.

We use red, yellow, and green "toe tags" as well, and each engine has dozens of photos taken during the tear down, documentation process.Paying attention to these failures was responsible for most of the things I learned about these engine failures more than a decade ago.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
The disastrous story of Mobil 1 aviation oil will go down in infamy as the prototypical Way To Screw Things Up and kill people. It were a mess...
I had to google that to find out about it - what a mess!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Arch1t3ct
I had to google that to find out about it - what a mess!
No one listens to us either, they just keep buying it 5 quarts at a time at Walmart. Its that decal in the engine bay.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:25 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
My organizational skills were forged in USMC aviation circles.Lots of what I implement here is employed in a military manner, from what I learned there.

Keeping the entire engine on one cart, with a process number, and the entire history of that core in a database is the key. RND has one employee that does nothing except maintain these carts, their data base, and all the moving parts that it takes to process these cores into well- built RND engines, equipped with the majority of their original parts.

Thats the way I designed that program for SSF, and it has ran like a Swiss Watch. These carts stay under lock and key, and are only removed one at a time when the engine is prepped, which is the time when that engine meets its new parts, machined block, and processed cylinder heads for the first time since tear down occurred. Then everything is ultrasonically cleaned, and makes its way into the O.R.

The way I do things here at Flat 6 is similar, but since we don't deal with any core issues, we merely keep the original customers cart with all his parts on it, and he receives that same matching numbers engine back.

We use red, yellow, and green "toe tags" as well, and each engine has dozens of photos taken during the tear down, documentation process.Paying attention to these failures was responsible for most of the things I learned about these engine failures more than a decade ago.
And keep track of each and every oil container foil seal poured into the engine? LOL. Having worked at a nuclear power plant under NRA/NRC rules...totally get it the QA/QC approach.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

And keep track of each and every oil container foil seal poured into the engine?
Those engines are sold as complete long blocks, but every tube of assembly lube is inventoried, allocated and kept track of.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:48 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

No question you are the best Jake! Was referring to our challenge of the day thread.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:16 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Semper Fi. MAG-46, I red-Xed a few planes back then.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:37 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by docmirror
Semper Fi. MAG-46, I red-Xed a few planes back then.
MAG 16 and 36 for me.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:13 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Regarding the OP: was this to be a "permanent car" for you, or just one in a string?
If the former: grit your teeth, take the hit, and enjoy a used car with a reliable 'new' engine.
If it's just a stop on the journey, then parting company may be wiser. For me, my C4s is a permanent vehicle, and will find its way to Jake before the engine grenades for rebuilding and enhancement. For a ****load of money. Because quality. And because I don't care about the resale.
Do what feels right for you, and to heck with what all of us magpies think!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:34 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

MAG 16 and 36 for me.
my 1st tour with the Marines was with 1st MAW (MWSS-172 in OKI). My buddies said "Oh, you will be schwinging with the Wing"

Last edited by kromdom; 05-04-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
For me, my C4s is a permanent vehicle, and will find its way to Jake before the engine grenades for rebuilding and enhancement. For a ****load of money. Because quality. And because I don't care about the resale.
Do what feels right for you, and to heck with what all of us magpies think!
+1 here
I'm in the que for a Flat6 rebuild on my '99 C2.
I'm into it for the fun factor backed by a feeling of confidence.
All in, I'll have less $$ into this one than if I bought one of the more "desireable" 911s.
This is my 1st and probably the last 911 I'll own.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I think you guys should get on jakes engine rebuild course then do your own, get the spanners out and really get stuck in.
Wish we had someone offering that in the uk, you have to learn yourself from the manual and grabbing bits of info off people here and there and watching bits on you tube !!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:39 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Noz1974
I think you guys should get on jakes engine rebuild course then do your own, get the spanners out and really get stuck in.
Wish we had someone offering that in the uk, you have to learn yourself from the manual and grabbing bits of info off people here and there and watching bits on you tube !!
I did and had a blast!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I did and had a blast!
Yep, and the next enthusiast engine rebuild school is next week!!!

Lots of Rennlisters are signed up for this one. Going to be fun, as always!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:08 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Noz1974
I thought really hard about going this route. Maybe I will next time around. But I didn't want to be without my car for a year and didn't think I could get near as much out of the engine as FSI can. Only 375 days until my due date.

Quick Reply: 2004 996 was told engine needed rebuild-Help